Pre ADSC Running: Have I hit a plateau?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Squiddly, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Stop being a civvy and get over to ADSC. 11:27 (probably less now!) is good enough.

2. What exactly are you eating? Look at your food intake a bit closer.

0 vote(s)
  3. Nothing's wrong, you'll get through it and the times will start coming down again.

4. Stop being a throbber and get on with it, no one else is going to run it for you.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basic facts: I'm 23, 5'11", and 12st 6.5lbs (79.151 kilos)

I've been practicing for my mile and a half on the ADSC/BPFA (whatever it's called these days). Living in sunny Sheffield, which is more hill than fields, there's not exactly a lot of flat land round here, in fact come to think of it, I can't think of any roads nearby which aren't on hills, off the top of my head.

So I've been running a route, it's not a long route, it's 1.09 miles, but to make up for the shortfall, it's nice and hilly. Down a long shallow hill, up a steep hill up concrete steps, along some grass for about 400m then down another long hill before running up a couple of medium hills, then back down a shallow hill and a nice flat to some some steep steps and another shallow hill back to my house.
    Running surface (apart from the very start/finish is gravel or grass.

Anyway, my running time on this minuature course when I first ran it was (cover your ears) 16:24. Over time it's slowly and painfully come down, first to 14 minutes, then 12, then 11.

With this time on the short hilly circuit, my time on the longer (a true 1.5 miles) but much flatter circuit at the "pre-ADSC" weekend assessment was 11:27. Enough to just scrape a pass there.

I've managed, the past few runs, to get my time on the hilly circuit to around 9:50, 9:55, 10:05, and my recovery time from each run has become shorter and shorter. With each run I spend less time sat under the shower feeling sorry for myself :p .
    But now my run times have stopped improving, I seem to have hit a 9:50-10:05 plateau, and I don't seem to be able to get past it.

I'm eating and sleeping okay, not eating rubbish or anything, running 3 times a week as a minimum.
    Is it just a case of pulling my finger out, or am I doing something wrong? 8O
  2. Do longer runs, 3 miles, 3 times a week with a days rest at least, between runs, after 3 - 4 weeks of this introduce interval training. This is where you start out on a run as normal but say when your about half way along sprint for 20m, then slow to your normal pace. Do this once a week initially then gradually increase the frequency (no. of times per week) and distance you sprint. Your time will shoot down if you do this.
  3. are you always running the 1.09mile route???
    like jarhead said run longer routes and interval training, although ive not timed myself over a 1.5mile when i started training to re-enlist..prob about 3months now i was struggling to run 1.5 mile without stopping.
    with the advice ive had from here im now running 4 miles non stop three nights a week and fartlek training one night with circuits after every session. im adding more as time goes on to keep improving.
    work hard and dont give up
  4. I am always running the 1.09 mile route. I tend to find what with the hills and everything that I'm knackered at the end, too knackered to consider doing it again, at least going on past experience.
  5. the hills dont make much difference mate, not all 1.5mile runs that you will do when your in will be flat. and when your in training and then your unit the only short runs you will do will be your pft. most pt sessions when your in are prob 3-5 mile with hills and all that shite
    get your ass around a longer route mate, its the only way
  6. Reet.

Slow down your running. JOG. And jog further. Running a mile, in case it's not clear, is not actually that impressive. A total of 3 miles a week is, in fact, hardly training at all.

The chances are that you've not really plateaued at all. I'd be surprised if there's any physical conditioning gone on at all if you're running 3 miles a week- you've just mentally realised that it's possible to run that distance and so you're pushing out towards what you're capable of untrained.

You say you've passed your basic induction, so get that weight off your mind, and start doing some real training.

5k is not, and I repeat this, not a long way (it's about 3miles if you're unsure) but here's some training programmes to get you up to that comfortably- obviously I'm pointing you to the beginners.

I can't really fathom how poor recruits are in terms of phys these days, but I'd be thinking something like this would be of use- being able to run 10 km (6.2miles):

The distances should be within your grasp at present. The trick is to run the distance, and not worry about the speed so much, especially to start with.

If you're worried about those 1 1/2 mile times, don't be. If you're proficient at 5 or 10km, you'll have no problem getting a decent time at 1 1/2 miles AND you'll be generally fitter.

Once you can run these distances a short period of training for speed (i.e. flat out a couple of times a week) will see you achieve that.