prc349 radio

Might have already asked cannot remember........has anybody used this radio ???? its only 1 watt rf output..
37 to 47 megs coverage i believe.....
jim..............

Weren't they originally for use between the sect. comdr. and the gun group ? so 1 watt would have been ok over a few hundred yards (not metres) showing my lack of recent experience here i know.

Might have already asked cannot remember........has anybody used this radio ???? its only 1 watt rf output..
37 to 47 megs coverage i believe.....
jim..............
Has anyone used this radio?
I'm not being funny mate, but half of this site are old ******* who probably remember when comms was a box of matches and a wafting blanket!!
Doubt there will be any shortage of experts on it

RezzaDue

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
LOL
cadets now use these.
37 - 46.975 htz i believe
400 channels
'planning' range of 2.2k
300 metres in urban enviroment
.5m whip attena usually used sometimes a 1m was used for better comms
used for section comms
and thats all i can remember

We used them between our light guns to the command post sometimes instead of line. They always seemed a bit hit and miss and the throat mike sounded like the operator had a snooker ball in his gob. Never had nicads either - we used to get packs of AA batteries to put in the battery compartment! Unsurprisingly they went through a lot of batteries.....

It was 50 pounds ...nicad pack/ carrying pouch/aerial/ and telephone handset....................
it works okay tx and rx but the squalched position do not work, only works on the noise position...not really worried about that though...........spot on frequency when checked on the freq. counter...
Jim.....................

Has anyone used this radio?
I'm not being funny mate, but half of this site are old ******* who probably remember when comms was a box of matches and a wafting blanket!!
Doubt there will be any shortage of experts on it
I used to use one when I was RSO. My FSC Mk1 had a 353&352 setup and when engineering rebro often used the 349 to check links, saved dismounting the 351/2. LoS, or damn near it, would work over 10km.(whip Ae)

You have that a bit arse about face, bollock chops. VHF was auto squelched but could be overidden. HF was non squelched.

I've used it. I'll qualify that. I've carried it with it switched on.

Your £50 would have been better off spent at Maplins.

Bit pointless buying one, unless it's for using for cadets - if it covers the usual 36-48 MHz range then it's outside the Ham Radio bands and cannot be used on an Amateur Licence!

I have heard talk of a mod to re-crystal them into the 6m band but I've no idea if it's had actually been done or not.

Mind you the 350 can be used on 6m on an Amateur Licence and the 351 will cover 4m as well.

They were crap, except when used for a bit of impromptu CQB. I can't believe that you're considering buying one of these. But, then again, you're probably still living in your mum's basement so it all makes sense.

Bloody hell...i had forgotten about that 150hz tone needed...no wonder it would not respond to my Yaesu ft847 radio...
i bought it to go with other Clansman radios .350/351/320/321/linear amp/ and other add ons.....
the wife really likes sharing her lounge with green radios...girlfriend thinks they are great though...........
jim...........

Yes the AA battery cassette has a buillt in 500 milliamp fuse, so i believe if one was to attempt to recharge nicads in there it would blow..its buried in the base of the cassette i believe.
jim

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Praetorian Royal Signals 4
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 6
msr The Intelligence Cell 2