Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

PRB Mess

You say;

Dettingen said:
A lot of rumours about what has happened and is happening is rubbish.

You then say;

Slating people or capbadges is not the issue. Restoring authority back into the Cpls and WO & Sgts Messes is. I don't think the RLC is alone with that problem.

So you're saying that there is a need to restore authority? Ipso facto there is a problem.

From my knowledge (have spent at least 7 years at PRB in the past), the RLC disproportionally are the issue (or moreover; their command structure). If that was not the case, 1 in 5 miscreants would wear a blue beret. :roll:

Dettingen said:
Having spent a lot of time at PRB, IMHO:

There is no ghetto I have walked in and out of uniform across that camp with no issues..
I can remember in 99 sharing a room with people awaiting a courtmartial for nearly killing 2 of 6 regt (11 people versus 2) not just a kicking but repeated stamps on their heads.
A few glassing in Sammy.
Many major punch ups outside the NAAFI at kicking out time with the guard commander and RP staff trying to break it up while the orderly officers and Base Sgt hid in the shadows until it was all over.
The Dyke mafia kicking fuck out of various younger dykes.
The rather large fight between 1gs and 2cs in the regimental bar which literally totalled the place yet not a single person got in trouble for it.
The guard commander geting headbutted and smacked to the floor with the culprit getting ROPs.
Young lads (especially in 23 and 11 sqn) having their room doors smashed off it hinges and getting a good kicking of the duty bullys.(with a few of the victims getting admin discharges because they couldn't handle it anymore)
Duty corporal outside of 23 or 11 sqn (can't remember which one) in a tent having to book people in and out because of the trouble that was getting caused
Yep I fairly much agree with the T_L_F, It was a discipline nightmare

Dettingen said:
Having spent a lot of time at PRB, IMHO:

There is no ghetto I have walked in and out of uniform acroos that camp with no issues.

There have been instances of bad discipline by soldiers and weak officers, WOs, and NCOs not dealing with issues before they escalate. It kept me busy most Monday mornings.

Having five regiments on one badly laid out camp does not help, especially as they don't all go home at weekends like the UK.

Not having a GSM or Base HQ is a problem. The RHQ not on ops/preparing for ops/recovering form ops gets to spend 6 months trying to sort the issues out without a budget, resources or authority.

Slating people or capbadges is not the issue. Restoring authority back into the Cpls and WO & Sgts Messes is. I don't think the RLC is alone with that problem.

Having spoke to a buddy up in Gutersloh, he reliably informs me that there is a GSM in Gutersloh. Maybe it is time for him to start cracking a few heads!!

Two things:

1. None of what I posted is speculation or "heard from a friend" or "apparently". The place is in rag order and I saw some behaviour which whilst not serious in its own right did give an indication of how the juniors felt they could do as they please.

2. Perry Mason is the High Sheriff of Much Nastiness and should be re-employed as The CGS' Lord High Setter and Maintainer of Standards. I suggest the problem would cease after his first visit to PRB. A casualty clearing section should be constructed in the mess bar to tend the guilty.

I've just been reading the responses to your question. I also heard some rumours about PRB & The Sgts Mess, but I arrived this year and what people having been telling you is rubbish. I am not a loggie, but i'd bet that most of those putting negative comments have just heard the rumours. Some comments may have been true 5 - 6 years ago, but most of the stories are just that, stories!

There are NO Ghettos, there are NO No go areas, there are not fights outside the NAAFI every night, The soldiers do not run riot around the camp.

For the size of the place & amount of soldiers, there is more discipline here than in many garrisons I have been in.

Like I said, I am not a Loggie, but they are getting a hard time for nothing, hopefully when you arrive you'll see for yourself.

As an ex Loggie and having been posted to PRB 2004-2006 there is an element of truth in some of the allegations. There are some serious failings on the camp and although I never saw it, there were rumours of ghetto`s, rapes, etc. The problem is however what has been mentioned many times already, the reason that the camp is in this state is purely up to the standard of the Sgts mess. That is where the buck stops. Most of them have been in PRB since 1993 bouncing from one Sqn to the next on promotion and never leaving the place. So they get set in their ways. I know many people that got to PRB in 1993 as a Pte and left as a WO2 having never been posted anywhere else! Its unfortunate because PRB is a fantastic camp with excellent facilities and its in a really nice area of Germany. At any one time in PRB there are a minimum of six SNCO/WO`s on duty, but you will never see any of them walking up and down the strip during silent hours because most of them either can`t be arsed or don`t have the moral courage to bollock misbehaving soldiers. Its a sad fact that when I left in 2006 was still to be resolved. I hope that things have improved since then but I suspect that the lunatics are still running the asylum!!