PRAVDA Gets In Bed With The Enemy...

In the latest issue of Soldier (Not Soft, Strong, nor thouroghly absorbent) there's a "my army" puff piece with the Sun's veteran Chief Reporter, crowing about all the great scoops he's had about the Army.

Now I know that PRAVDA has a long tradition of having little to no contact with the real world, preferring to exist in some alternative reality provided by MOD Main Building where the boots fit and the mail always gets through, but this has got to be a new low. Praising a cnuting journo for the amount of times he's blackened the Army's reputation, in the the Army's house publication!

Who wants to knock up a Banner?

BOYCOTT PRAVDA - THE MAG THAT LIES TO EVERYONE, AND KISSES THE ARSE OF ARMY HATING SCUM

I reckon we all submit letters to the editor of soldier mag for inclusion in the talkback section. My keyboard has already been warned off for a good hate-typing.

Older, could you cc me on the banner too please.

Haven't got Soldier yet , is this story on their website?

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/mag/my_army.htm

WHEN headlines such as Captain Crumpet are splashed all over the front page of Britain’s biggest red-top tabloid, you know there are going to be few red faces among the brass that day.

After all, sex scandals involving women officers quite literally willing to reveal all to the world, soldiers going AWOL to pose as Page 3 girls and saucy romps in the ranks are never going to be top of the Forces’ public relations agenda.

But for John Kay, chief reporter ofThe Sun, they are the stuff tabloid dreams are made of – in more than 30 years at the newspaper, he’s scooped them all.

However, the veteran hack also has huge admiration for the Forces and has moved mountains throughout his career to make sure troops are looked after on deployment. And he has proved that he’s not averse to roughing it with them, either.

In the past he feasted on worm sarnies during survival exercises, took the controls of a Warrior armoured personnel carrier and was, most recently, one of the first UK journalists to be taken for a spin in the latest Apache attack helicopter.

“Let’s be clear about this,” Kay told Soldier. “We have the best professional Army in the world – you only have to look at the great job the troops are doing on Op Telic.

“These are people who are being asked, if necessary, to lay down their lives and, secondly, to kill our enemies – there are not many members of society who face those pressures.”

Kay said it was because of the intense interest in the Army, and the high-esteem in which it was held, that The Sun covered the more saucy elements of the Service.

But he also stressed that these stories often raised several more serious issues.

“People ask why we cover all these bonking stories – it’s because the Army is highly respected by the public as a great institution with a great history. As soon as you cover a story, you’re dealing with a regiment and a motto.

“Underpinning these stories there is general news interest and, once we have broken them, they are covered elsewhere – something like the first serving soldier to become a Page 3 girl, as happened in 2001, is huge for us and it’s a story, as we say, that has legs.

“In this case a soldier called LCpl Roberta Winterton wished to become a model for The Sun and was willing to come and see us – but it meant her going AWOL. I said it was up to her, but it would have been churlish for me to refuse.

“We covered the follow-up stories too – she ended up being busted down to a private before she left the Army altogether. But she did get to try her hand at modelling.”

Another of Kay’s great scoops was the famous 1994 Captain Crumpet episode, which featured married officer Angela Jackson having an affair with palace guardsman Brian Taylor.

The tale culminated in Capt Jackson stripping off to pose for The Sun in her underwear, and being turned into a poster that found its way into many a soldier’s quarter.

“We did this because we had so many requests for pictures of her,” Kay recalled. “A few weeks later I was visiting a friend of mine who was a serving lieutenant colonel and even he had the poster of Angela on his office door.”

But Kay, who started his career on The Sun in 1973 and was responsible for covering the Armed Forces from 1987 until the recent appointment of full-time defence editor Tom Newton Dunn, is a stalwart backer of the Army and its troops.

Over the years he has become pals with very senior officers, and has played his part in helping the Service.

As well as helping in organising Christmas gifts for soldiers, The Sun has helped raise money for bereaved Forces families and Kay personally assists the Ministry of Defence by talking to military personnel on how to deal with the media.

“Since I started doing this job, and meeting many officers and soldiers of all ranks, I have found there are so many parallels between the Army and journalism,” he said.

“There is honour and camaraderie and great loyalty in both professions. We both have a very difficult job to do – and as the American writer Ernest Hemingway said, it is all about having grace under pressure.

“At The Sun we’ve always bent over backwards to provide accuracy and balance to our stories and the troops get 110 per cent support from us – with some ten million readers, it is obviously important to us that we get stories right.”

Kay believes that the MoD has also come on in leaps and bounds with its press liaison in recent years, and there is now a healthy relationship between the two parties. This improved co-operation and openness is, he says, a breath of fresh air. Accuracy in stories has been improved and a relationship that acknowledges that both the press and MoD officials have a job to do is the the result.

But what of the future for this enthusiastic supporter of the Armed Forces and senior national press spokesman – did he have any regrets about never signing up himself?

“I’m happy where I am, and my satisfaction now comes from helping younger journalists,” he said. “But if I had my time again I’d definitely have considered an Army career.

“When I was at school I desperately wanted to be a vet but found I wasn’t very good at science so I followed my father, the managing editor of the London Evening News, into journalism. I was interested in being a vet, and now I am in some ways – a journalism vet.”

tearsbeforebedtime said:
“At The Sun we’ve always bent over backwards to provide accuracy and balance to our stories and the troops get 110 per cent support from us
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

This guy should do stand up comedy. He's very funny!

“Since I started doing this job, and meeting many officers and soldiers of all ranks, I have found there are so many parallels between the Army and journalism,” he said. “There is honour and camaraderie and great loyalty in both professions. We both have a very difficult job to do – and as the American writer Ernest Hemingway said, it is all about having grace under pressure."
Journalists with honour? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... :roll:

Have actually talked to Mr Kay a long time ago.... nearly the first words out of his mouth were "got any military stories involving sex?".... pillock!

The friend who introduced him apologised.

Older-By-The-Day, Brilliant banner!

One problem: my mong-like IT skills don't extend to getting it loaded on to my page/ banner /avatar thingy.

HELP!

As for a letter to the editor, top idea, I'll be knocking mine up today.

Just sent this off:

Sir,

As a member of the Army for over twenty years, during which time Soldier Magazine has been if not always the best read, at least it was firmly on the side of the soldier, I was disgusted to read the “My Army” article (Feb 06) glorifying the exploits of John Kay, the Sun tabloid journalist. This “man” and others like him have done nothing but harm to HM Forces over the years, taking every opportunity to drag us into their gutter, systematically eroding the high esteem in which we have rightly been held. To have the Army’s house magazine publish an article eulogising his achievements in ferreting out salacious gossip and misdoings that are only news-worthy because of the editorial bias of his newspaper beggars belief.

I suggest that your editorial staff is even more divorced from the reality of service life than I originally assumed if you believe the Sun is “The Paper That Supports Our Boys”. I and many other serving soldiers feel nothing but contempt for John Kay and his ilk.

Themanwho

Wonder if that will make it onto the Talkback letters page?

My rant/letter to that loon editor:

Sir or Madam,
What are you playing at, sucking up to and giving oxygen and print inches to that SUN journalist? Are you completely out of touch? If you had your finger on the pulse, you'd know there is a growing movement within the Army (& RN/RAF) to boycott this "paper", which purports to "support our boys", but stuffs them at every given opportunity.
You silly, silly* person.

Staaken (not likely to be on Talkback either.......)

I thought "cnut" might be a bit strong.....

Does he not admit to encouraging a serving soldier to go AWOL in his article. Is that an offence?

Tempted to write a letter, can you e-mail them, that might get a wider response?

This may be a cynical attempt by them to "make" the news; Forces favourite etc, as featured in Soldier magazine...

If you are reading, journo scum; be aware that not a single soldier trusts you anymore, as such, you are hardly the forces favourite are you?

I note such sentiments never make their pages, our hatred of their underhand tactics are never a matter for their selective quotation!

Just received this:

Dear Themanwho,

I am sorry the interview upset you. Whatever you think of him, John Kay genuinely likes the Army, which doesn't stop him doing his job as a reporter on The Sun, The Ministry of Defence regards him with some affection and I know he has frequently been invited by the MOD to lecture to military press officers. The MOD also deliberately uses The Sun to run recruiting campaigns and occasionally sets up "exclusives" for him - the first journalist to fly in Apache being a recent example.

Ironically, most of his Army scoops are as a result of Service personnel ringing his office to tell him about their goings-on.

I thought Army readers might like to learn more about the man behind the lurid stories, but hold my hand up if my judgement was wrong.

Regards,

John Elliott

Fair enough on the prompt and courteous reply. I disagree with the wisdom of cuddling up so close to this sort of snake though.

Themanwho said:
Just sent this off:

Sir,

As a member of the Army for over twenty years, during which time Soldier Magazine has been if not always the best read, at least it was firmly on the side of the soldier, I was disgusted to read the “My Army” article (Feb 06) glorifying the exploits of John Kay, the Sun tabloid journalist. This “man” and others like him have done nothing but harm to HM Forces over the years, taking every opportunity to drag us into their gutter, systematically eroding the high esteem in which we have rightly been held. To have the Army’s house magazine publish an article eulogising his achievements in ferreting out salacious gossip and misdoings that are only news-worthy because of the editorial bias of his newspaper beggars belief.

I suggest that your editorial staff is even more divorced from the reality of service life than I originally assumed if you believe the Sun is “The Paper That Supports Our Boys”. I and many other serving soldiers feel nothing but contempt for John Kay and his ilk.

Themanwho

Wonder if that will make it onto the Talkback letters page?
And if it does, we can all see exactly who are...

Doh!

Don't tell 'em your name Pike! :D