Pratchett's Watch Series coming to the BBC?

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
I'd have Ray Winstone down as Sgt Colon and Tom Hardy playing Vimes as Taboo proved he can do a good sulk .Christopher fairbank (Moxey auf weidersan pet) for Cpl Nobbs or even Mackenzie crook .I do hope they adapt Jingo it's one of the best satirical books ever written in my view and would hit all the beebs diversity buttons

It's a shame that Michael Elphick has popped his clogs - he'd have been a good Fred Colon.

I recently commented to Mrs.M that I could picture Dawn French as Nanny Ogg, and Jennifer Saunders as Mistress Weatherwax.
Dont think Jennifer Saunders could put across the nails that Granny Weatherwax has. Maybe Maggie Smith, Fionnula Flanagan or Vanessa Redgrave.

Last edited:
You do know he had opinions and expressed them while alive. Even spoke to a cuñt like me.
Did that count as a nibble?
deathfishing.jpg

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a shame that Michael Elphick has popped his clogs - he'd have been a good Fred Colon.

I always picture the crusty old sergeant from Heartbeat.

Jennifer Saunders as Mistress Weatherwax.
You on glue?

Mss. Weatherwax is was tall, angular and could be called handsome by a good-natured liar. Saunders, my arse.

So how do we think the beeb will produce them?

As i said earlier, i hope they do each book individually, perhaps in three 1 hour episodes? But I've got a terrible feeling they might try and combine elements from all the books and bastardise them into one series. That would be sacrilege and absolutely shite...Do it right, or don't do it at all I say!

I am not very optimistic about this. TP always had nothing but scorn for the TV and film types who seek to adapt the written word for the screen, large or small.

http://theagency.co.uk/the-clients/simon-allen/ is reported to be the writer (du jour) for the proposed 6 episodes; he was the show runner for The Musketeers, series 3, and he is currently working on the remake of Das Boot for Sky not glowing testimonials in my opinion; as far as I know, he has no experience of writing or producing parody/satire. TP's daughter and Rob Wilkins are the Pratchett end of the production -- both are rumoured to have had a heavy hand in later books, such Monstrous Regiment. Make your own predictions then on the quality of the writing to come on this combination. There is probably only one writer who could do this successfully: Neil Gaiman.

Sky's efforts at turning TP's works into television were cheap and amateurish because of their over-reliance on green screen for nearly every thing but their heart was in the right place. To do justice to TP's Guards series is going to cost a great deal of money, probably in excess of £10m per episode; I doubt the BBC is going to budget a HBO/Netflix/Prime amount. The BBC is shit at big productions -- on its own.

I hope I'm wrong.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Radical thought but Mark Strong would be a reasonable Vetinari. He has that ability to project stillness and strength, Oh, and Mark Rylance could do a good part, possibly as Nobby or rather better as a wizard

Christopher Ecclestone as Vetinari ?? . Moving on to villains I reckon either Jeremy Irons or Ralph Fiennes for find thee swing ??
And a bit of typecasting but Iwan Rheon for Carcer

Dawn French would ham Lady Sybil up too much, but she'd be a great Nanny Ogg.

A young Lady Sybil - Gwendolyn Christie
I have had the pleasure of watching Dawn French doing serious material on stage. She is a far better actress than her TV work shows. That said I expect Lady Sybil to be hammed up, Pratchett is meant to be funny.
Slightly off topic since the witches don't really come into much contact with The Watch, but I'd go: -
Maggie Smith - Granny
Miriam Margolyes - Nanny
Ellie Kendrick - Magrat Garlick
Maisy Williams- Tiffany Aching
Helen Monks - Agnes Nitt

For what it's worth, Vetenari and Vimes (being about the same age) in "Guards! Guards!" don't strike me as being particularly old. Some of the actors mentioned might suffice for the two in the later books, they strike me as being a little old for the characters in the earlier books. Early forties, going by the books. Likewise Carrot is late teens, if that.

Ageist, perhaps, but part of the Patrician's menace (to me at least) is that he is relatively young. That and having watched Ray Winston in "The Sweeny" makes a bit of a mockery of it all putting an old man in a young mans game.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
For what it's worth, Vetenari and Vimes (being about the same age) in "Guards! Guards!" don't strike me as being particularly old. Some of the actors mentioned might suffice for the two in the later books, they strike me as being a little old for the characters in the earlier books. Early forties, going by the books. Likewise Carrot is late teens, if that.

Ageist, perhaps, but part of the Patrician's menace (to me at least) is that he is relatively young. That and having watched Ray Winston in "The Sweeny" makes a bit of a mockery of it all putting an old man in a young mans game.
Perhaps David Tennant for Vetinari. The ginger bloke from Harry Potter for Carrot

The ****?!
More women, people of colour and genderfluid submariners required.

Though the guy with the oranges had that last role covered.

Christopher Ecclestone as Vetinari ?? . Moving on to villains I reckon either Jeremy Irons or Ralph Fiennes for find thee swing ??
And a bit of typecasting but Iwan Rheon for Carcer

Lee Mack would make a good Carcer.

Latest Threads