Praise the Lord, the Phoenix Think Tank is back in action!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim30, Jan 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our favourite friends are back, and it looks like they're still letting people write very special articles. I've not seen any of these articles quoted here, but I thought we'd all enjoy special story time today. I particularly liked the (hopefully) ironic reference to 'Standards' on the front page of their website...

Flying from our new Carriers

Falklands 30: Is the British Government Being Misled by Its Military Advisers? - The Phoenix ThinkTank - Naval Think Tank

The Compelling Cost of Land-Based Air Operations over Libya - The Phoenix ThinkTank - Naval Think Tank

2. Hurrah! My life is nearly complete, now we just need Alex. But Sharky is a true man, none of this RAF pussyness!

3. Woohoo!

And we're offffffffff!

http://www.phoenixthinktank.org/2011/05/flying-from-our-new-carriers-–-the-rn-or-the-raf-ethos/

Cliff Notes: The RAF are crap!

Falklands 30: Is the British Government Being Misled by Its Military Advisers? - The Phoenix ThinkTank - Naval Think Tank

Cliff Notes: Did I tell you the RAF are crap?

The Compelling Cost of Land-Based Air Operations over Libya - The Phoenix ThinkTank - Naval Think Tank

Cliff Notes: Look, the RAF really are really crap!

The cost-effectiveness of land-based Typhoon/Tornado… - The Phoenix ThinkTank - Naval Think Tank

Cliff Notes: The RAF are stupid and crap for getting rid of their ancient Harriers.

I think that just about sums that all up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Admin Team

The Chief Co-ordinator

Captain Michael Clapp CB.

All I needed to know.

5. I believe the Brethren Court of the PTT meet at Shipwreck Cove?

[​IMG]

6. What's really disappointing is the fact someone like Stephen Jermy is involved, or, at least, has put his name to the website.

Sharky Ward (of which ever generation) is just an embarrassment.

7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Just read the first one (Flying from our new carriers). I thought it was bang on, BZ the author. Treating carrier flying as a part time occasional thing, otherwise than as an integral part of the ship, is a recipe for gross inefficiency.

8. Well, I know he had no idea what it was like in the 90's pre-JFH. I saw 800 and 801 squadron embark, and they behaved just "like the RAF". No duties, thought the ship ran around them, etc etc. I have no problem with the concept, but to presume RN SHAR Pilot = awesome; RAF GR3 pilot = no idea what to do, is frankly bollocks. Whoever embarks with which ever aircraft on a Carrier needs to embrace this attitude.

9. Some unbelievably biased nonsense in there, but also some good points. They do make themselves look a bit silly though.

(but hey, I'm all for disbanding the RAF and splitting it between the Andrew and our goodselves, wheter there are good reasons or not!)

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

11. As usual, His Sharkeyness, (who is, as our antipodean cousins would say, a well balanced individual, he has a chip on both shoulders about the RAF), once more rather conveniently forgets that just because it said ROYAL NAVY on the wrapper, the filling inside wasn't neccesarily dark blue.

Still, none of theose filthy crabs panned out rather well in the Falkland, eh Sharkey?