Praise for the Traffic Police

I thought I needed to post this in a relatively public forum in an attempt to redress the balance somewhat; as certain individuals on this site sometimes seem to have an anti-police bias. To those that may take the p*ss out of this post, crack on - you don't matter.
Yesterday evening I received the call every parent dreads - our daughter had just been involved in a multi car pile up on the A303. She had just left our house and was therefore only a few miles down the road and we were there within minutes. Thankfully, she was unhurt, but in a real state of shock and her car seemed to be a write off, as it was hit from the back and then shunted into another car. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the traffic police were soon on the scene and took control. The Police Sgt in particular was superb - calm, collected and totally in control of a pretty chaotic situation. We were at the scene for about 2 hours and in all that time, this guy was the model professional. Unsurprisingly, it turns out he was an ex-Serviceman (RAF) and he is a credit to our Police. Thank you and take a bow sir, from some very grateful parents.

I don't imagine being ex-forces makes a difference. It's their job and in my dealings with them I've found them professional.
Fair one - I don't think the ex-Serviceman comment was necessary.

You say he was an ex-serviceman and then say he was RAF. So which was he? ;-)
Joking aside, all trafic cops I have had to meet are all very professional.

If I may also add my thanks to the same Coppers on the same stretch of the A303.

Just over 6 months ago I was driving rather too fast there and got pulled over. I had every mitigating factor possible, but the fact remained that I was well over the speed limit.

The copper was polite, and fair, spoke to me like a sensible bloke and warned me that I was in the poop, and would be summonsed. I took his words of advice, and have behaved myself since. 6 months have now passed with no summons, so I'm now free. But the guy did me a favour, and I owe him big time.

Cheers Copper, there will be a donation going in the police benevolent fund box.

One of my brothers is a traffic officer, he's ruthless. Then I'm not a criminal.
My brother is ginger. Doesn't stop him being a decent enough rozzer.

Coppers tend to treat people how they find them in my experience.

My in laws recently had an accident, through no fault of their own. The attending officer was brilliant. Calmed them down, called us and got everyone to a safe spot to allow traffic to start moving.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yesterday evening I received the call every parent dreads - our daughter had just been involved in a multi car pile up on the A303.
Is she fit?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Every single copper I've have had dealings with has been spot-on to be honest so no general anti-plod sentiment from me. I have a strong aversion to some of the bad apples who (rarely) let their service down like Harwood* and so on.

*Allegedly.

Agreed about their professionalism in dealing with some horrendous situations.
I get cheesed off at the emphasis made on ex-forces whenever a crime is committed so it's good to see a bit of balance.
Anyway, glad your daughter is ok Slipperman.

Is she fit?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Every single copper I've have had dealings with has been spot-on to be honest so no general anti-plod sentiment from me. I have a strong aversion to some of the bad apples who (rarely) let their service down like Harwood* and so on.

*Allegedly.

Sixty,
She is spoken for and I couldn't possibly comment on my own daughter's "fitness" - no dualling banjos in our house! :)

This thread and one of the posts reminds me of something which happened to me in about the year 1972. If anyone remembers those times, there was an international oil supply crisis and the UK government had imposed a blanket 50 mph speed limit. One day I was going along a dual carriageway in Lancashire at 50 mph in the "fast" lane. Behind me there was a private car who wanted to overtake me and was flashing his headlights at me.. Further along the road, at traffic lights, there was a third lane for traffic turning right. (As it happened near a Police vehicle garage or something similar).
This was about 14.00 on a weekday.

Later on that evening, I was travelling through a nearby suburb on the A565, several miles away from the earler location.

A police car stopped me, and he asked me to take a seat in his Police car. He referred to the incident earlier that day. Then he took his cap off and said "Do you recognise me now?" Apparently he was the driver of the car behind me, and HE was late for work as a traffic cop.

IIRC he gave me a notice of intended prosecution. But I heard nothing more about it.

Who was in the wrong Me or HIM?

I may give that impression, but only when they seriously screw-up. On the whole, the fil.. I mean police do a very good job. Glad to hear your daughter is okay, and I hope the insurance company don't screw her over.
Plod on the streets are not the real problem,Senior Officers and Management dealing with torrents of crap coming from the Home Office are.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I must admit, I am a little anti-plod at the moment because of the amount of times they have been sitting at our camp gates recently, claiming they are "not just targeting squaddies". True - the other day they were parked outside RAF Honnington.

But I too had an accident on the A303 in Winterbourne Stoke, coming down the dip, a motorcyclist coming the other way had a blow out. I came to a stop to prevent him from going over my bonnet - the guy behind me in the Ford Galaxy didn't seem to have the same field of view and bent my Mondeo in half as a result.

Like the OP says, the Traffic Plod were on the scene in minutes. But it was some ex-squaddie member of the bikers that ended up taking charge and getting the traffic moving again in both directions.

Not the copper's fault though - the driver of the car behind me kept demanding his attention and something be done as he feared his daughter had suffered 'injury'.

He should have thought about that before deciding to daydream and look anywhere but the road in front of him.

Plod on the streets are not the real problem,Senior Officers and Management dealing with torrents of crap coming from the Home Office are.

No, I disagree with you. Some Plod in uniform on the streets just seem to avoid any real police work, and seem to go out of their way to fob off members of the public in difficulties.