Praise for mil medics....

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Goatman, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

As I'm the only one who ever has to look at the defence Net site, I thought I would reprint this item for those who don't usually go there :D

anyone feel a blush coming on ? Pats on backs all round :D

Le Chevre
  2. As a colleague of Rachel Macdonald and the other paramedics who fulfil the IRT role in 'stan, and previously done IRT on telic myself, i'm full of praise of the medics on the ground at time of wounding.
    It is the privates to full screws who do the hardest part of doing initial treatment until we arrive to take them away. If it was not for their calmness under extreme pressure, then the fatality rate would be higher than it currently is. I personally think all patrol medics should take this as an indication of how good a job they are doing.
    Big tip of my hat to the guys who unlike michelle norris, don't get the recognition they so well deserve.
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I wonder how Gen Dannatt is qualified to make such an assertive statement? Will he be providing the research evidence to prove it, or is he just repeating what MOD's PR people have told him to say? Then again, perhaps it's the 'instant expert' syndrome his wife also suffers from; she appears to think that being married to CGS qualifies her to comment on all aspects of healthcare and welfare.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Vee Bee

er....actually the 'Defence PR people' were equally surprised when CGS came out with that statement...'polytrauma' is not a term that trips easily from most people's tongues....though I did catch Surg Capt Campbell saying it to a local BBC camera team in March. Maybe Gen Dannatt saw the same item ?

I have not served with Gen Dannatt or met him but from those who have I get the impression that any attempt to 'lead the witness' would be met with.....uh.....ferocious disdain ! I think you may be doing him some disservice.

On a broader front, nice to see Med Pers getting a little airtime anyway.

pip pip,

Le Chevre
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Perhaps. I don't know him either, but I am aware that his background is infantry rather than medical, which is why I can't see how he's qualified to comment other than as a layman. He made a similar statement ("...the centre of excellence of polytrauma medicine and that is Selly Oak in Birmingham. ") back in March. Selly Oak may be a centre of excellence, but it may not be the best of them - the Royal London springs to mind, and there are others - I wonder how many CGS has visited. It's good to see CGS acknowledging the some of the real heroes of the polytrauma cases - the Fd Hosps, though he might also have mentioned the aeromed teams, without whom the wounded would not reach Selly Oak.

I suspect that CGS may have been briefed by individuals or organisations with an interest in RCDM/Selly Oak being portrayed in a good light. He does sometimes not appear to see the potential conflicts of interests in being briefed by those with an axe to grind, or perhaps even a commercial interest in his taking a particular view...