PRAIRIE FIVE-0

My name is Dave Peskor and I am a retired member of the Medicine Hat Police Service. I have recently published a book titled PRAIRIE FIVE-0 which contains a number of stories about our guests from BATUS in Canada. The following is an excerpt from my book.

Did ya’ Dae Me Dad

The British Military have had a presence in Medicine Hat since the early seventies when the U.K. Government negotiated a contract with Canada to lease a vast parcel of land for training purposes. Situated at Canadian Forces Base Suffield, about 50 kilometres west of Medicine Hat, it is officially known as the British Army Training Unit Suffield, or BATUS. It is the largest training base in the Commonwealth, and is bigger than the Country of Luxembourg.

Since then, each year the City of Medicine Hat hosts five to ten thousand young British soldiers who, after several weeks of living in armoured vehicles or holes in the ground, are then paid large amounts of cash and set loose upon the City, where they consume vast quantities of alcohol and make every effort to fall in love.
Local legendary maidens such as “Judy Syph”, “Becky Bondage” and “The Five Dollar Sisters” were always available to make their dreams come true.

Most of these boys behaved themselves quite well considering the circumstances, but we and the Army deemed it prudent to augment our regular Police patrols with members of the Royal Military Police, if only to act as translators for the Scots.

These fine Military Police men and women come from England, Ireland, Scotland, and elsewhere in the U.K., but once here they become, after a few short weeks, quasi-official Canadian coppers. They train with our weapons and equipment, socialize with us at our events, and form many long lasting friendships during their short tours of duty. They also ride in our patrol cars as the second man, or woman.

I was parked facing the wrong way in a one-way alley across from the Assiniboia Hotel, which was once Medicine Hat’s official watering hole for visiting British troops. My partner for that night was a young, female Member of the British Royal Military Police.

As we kept a watchful eye on the some of the more raucous soldiers, I noticed that she seemed to be deep in thought. “What’s on your mind?” I asked. My partner replied, “I was just watching some of these older Canadian women taking after the young boys, and I was wondering if any of them had dated me Dad when he was over ‘ere’ years ago”.

PRAIRIE FIVE-0 by Dave Peskor is available on Amazon

At only £3.04 to download I will give it a spin.

My name is Dave Peskor and I am a retired member of the Medicine Hat Police Service. I have recently published a book titled PRAIRIE FIVE-0 which contains a number of stories about our guests from BATUS in Canada. The following is an excerpt from my book.

Did ya’ Dae Me Dad

The British Military have had a presence in Medicine Hat since the early seventies when the U.K. Government negotiated a contract with Canada to lease a vast parcel of land for training purposes. Situated at Canadian Forces Base Suffield, about 50 kilometres west of Medicine Hat, it is officially known as the British Army Training Unit Suffield, or BATUS. It is the largest training base in the Commonwealth, and is bigger than the Country of Luxembourg.

Since then, each year the City of Medicine Hat hosts five to ten thousand young British soldiers who, after several weeks of living in armoured vehicles or holes in the ground, are then paid large amounts of cash and set loose upon the City, where they consume vast quantities of alcohol and make every effort to fall in love.
Local legendary maidens such as “Judy Syph”, “Becky Bondage” and “The Five Dollar Sisters” were always available to make their dreams come true.

Most of these boys behaved themselves quite well considering the circumstances, but we and the Army deemed it prudent to augment our regular Police patrols with members of the Royal Military Police, if only to act as translators for the Scots.

These fine Military Police men and women come from England, Ireland, Scotland, and elsewhere in the U.K., but once here they become, after a few short weeks, quasi-official Canadian coppers. They train with our weapons and equipment, socialize with us at our events, and form many long lasting friendships during their short tours of duty. They also ride in our patrol cars as the second man, or woman.

I was parked facing the wrong way in a one-way alley across from the Assiniboia Hotel, which was once Medicine Hat’s official watering hole for visiting British troops. My partner for that night was a young, female Member of the British Royal Military Police.

As we kept a watchful eye on the some of the more raucous soldiers, I noticed that she seemed to be deep in thought. “What’s on your mind?” I asked. My partner replied, “I was just watching some of these older Canadian women taking after the young boys, and I was wondering if any of them had dated me Dad when he was over ‘ere’ years ago”.

PRAIRIE FIVE-0 by Dave Peskor is available on Amazon
I think you’ll fit in very well here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
This always reminds me of the sin bin

My name is Dave Peskor and I am a retired member of the Medicine Hat Police Service. I have recently published a book titled PRAIRIE FIVE-0 which contains my Cop memoirs, including stories about our friends from BATUS., The following is an excerpt from my book.

DAVEY BOY TO THE SIN BIN

“Whatch you mean rasslin’ ain’t real?”

David “Davey Boy” Smith, otherwise known as “The British Bulldog,” was a star of Calgary’s Stampede Wrestling and later the WWF. He was also regarded as a super-hero in the U.K. wrestling arenas.

In the early 90’s, he had a night in the ring at the Medicine Hat Arena. My partner for the night was Rick Wigle. We were both on days off but volunteered for the “pay-duty”, which was extra overtime cash paid for by the event, not by taxpayers.

Rick and I were posted at the wrestler’s entrance, to keep curious fans from getting to the change rooms. During the bouts, several of the wrestlers visited briefly and watched the matches with us. One approached from behind and good-naturedly slapped another across the shoulders. He grinned and said to me, “I’ve got to wrestle this prick next…can you give him a shot of pepper spray?”

“The British Bulldog” was carded to fight “Kamala”. Although he was a huge black man born in the southern U.S.A., Kamala was billed as the “Ugandan Headhunter”. He appeared at ring side wearing a loin cloth, war paint and carrying a spear. Kamala’s “Manager” wore his signature Safari suit and a tropical pith helmet.

Later that evening, Rick and I had a casual discussion with the event Manager who stopped by our post. We learned that Kamala was planned to defeat The British Bulldog at this event. We both fell silent. We then quickly explained to the event Manager that a good portion of the fans in the stands were British soldiers who had shown up specifically to watch Smith. In fact, the nearby U.K. Army base had purchased five or six hundred tickets for their members, many of whom had shown up under the influence. We stressed that our small contingent could not guarantee the safety of their performers if it went bad for the fan’s favorite.

I don’t think he took us seriously until mid-bout, when a group of five or six British soldiers pressed forward toward the ring, bearing a stout pole with a spear point, from which the Union Jack hung proudly. They were intercepted by ring security before anyone was impaled. A last-minute change of plan and The British Bulldog won the match!

At the end of the evening, the wrestlers were ushered out a back door to their waiting vehicles. An excited mob of cheering British soldiers began a chant from behind the barricades as Smith approached. Despite being British himself, Smith couldn’t understand them. He turned to Rick and I and said, “What are they saying?” Rick grinned and said, “Davey Boy to the Sin Bin… Davey Boy to the Sin Bin”. Smith said, “Sin Bin?”

We explained that the local Assiniboia Hotel tavern, the “Sin Bin”, was the quasiofficial watering hole for the British Forces in Medicine Hat and that he was receiving an invitation to join his fans there. Smith chuckled and said that sounded like great fun. Rick hopped in the car with Smith and navigated to the bar.

And so, “The British Bulldog” partied with Her Majesty’s troops at the “Sin Bin” and I’d reckon he didn’t pay for a drink all night.

PRAIRIE FIVE-0 is available on Amazon

My name is Dave Peskor and I am a retired member of the Medicine Hat Police Service. I have recently published a book titled PRAIRIE FIVE-0 which contains my Cop memoirs, including stories about our friends from BATUS., The following is an excerpt from my book.

DAVEY BOY TO THE SIN BIN

“Whatch you mean rasslin’ ain’t real?”

David “Davey Boy” Smith, otherwise known as “The British Bulldog,” was a star of Calgary’s Stampede Wrestling and later the WWF. He was also regarded as a super-hero in the U.K. wrestling arenas.

In the early 90’s, he had a night in the ring at the Medicine Hat Arena. My partner for the night was Rick Wigle. We were both on days off but volunteered for the “pay-duty”, which was extra overtime cash paid for by the event, not by taxpayers.

Rick and I were posted at the wrestler’s entrance, to keep curious fans from getting to the change rooms. During the bouts, several of the wrestlers visited briefly and watched the matches with us. One approached from behind and good-naturedly slapped another across the shoulders. He grinned and said to me, “I’ve got to wrestle this prick next…can you give him a shot of pepper spray?”

“The British Bulldog” was carded to fight “Kamala”. Although he was a huge black man born in the southern U.S.A., Kamala was billed as the “Ugandan Headhunter”. He appeared at ring side wearing a loin cloth, war paint and carrying a spear. Kamala’s “Manager” wore his signature Safari suit and a tropical pith helmet.

Later that evening, Rick and I had a casual discussion with the event Manager who stopped by our post. We learned that Kamala was planned to defeat The British Bulldog at this event. We both fell silent. We then quickly explained to the event Manager that a good portion of the fans in the stands were British soldiers who had shown up specifically to watch Smith. In fact, the nearby U.K. Army base had purchased five or six hundred tickets for their members, many of whom had shown up under the influence. We stressed that our small contingent could not guarantee the safety of their performers if it went bad for the fan’s favorite.

I don’t think he took us seriously until mid-bout, when a group of five or six British soldiers pressed forward toward the ring, bearing a stout pole with a spear point, from which the Union Jack hung proudly. They were intercepted by ring security before anyone was impaled. A last-minute change of plan and The British Bulldog won the match!

At the end of the evening, the wrestlers were ushered out a back door to their waiting vehicles. An excited mob of cheering British soldiers began a chant from behind the barricades as Smith approached. Despite being British himself, Smith couldn’t understand them. He turned to Rick and I and said, “What are they saying?” Rick grinned and said, “Davey Boy to the Sin Bin… Davey Boy to the Sin Bin”. Smith said, “Sin Bin?”

We explained that the local Assiniboia Hotel tavern, the “Sin Bin”, was the quasiofficial watering hole for the British Forces in Medicine Hat and that he was receiving an invitation to join his fans there. Smith chuckled and said that sounded like great fun. Rick hopped in the car with Smith and navigated to the bar.

And so, “The British Bulldog” partied with Her Majesty’s troops at the “Sin Bin” and I’d reckon he didn’t pay for a drink all night.

PRAIRIE FIVE-0 is available on Amazon
You mean wrestling is a fix! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Latest Threads