Prague

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Auld-Yin, May 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I am off to Prague for a short holiday - Wednesday to Sunday. Any Arrsers got good places to visit for food, bevvy and entertainment (not necessarily in that order)!

Harry W - if you want to get SAM and be at Edinburgh Airport to see me off the flight time is 030705A :wink:

2. loads of irish bars there unfortunately one of the better places to go unless you can speak chez as they wont talk to you they are a bit stuck up . good trip though really nice place.

3. Stay away from places on the main square-you'll get ripped off.
    http://www.desire-cabaret.cz is good. It's about £8 entry and all beer free! And you'll see things that pirates shouldn't be able to do with their swords!!!!!
    Rocky O Reillys is a fairly decent oirish bar in Prague-decent food as well.
    Beware of the rip off taxi drivers-they're all, to a man, a bunch of cnuts.
    And if any Nigerians/Kenyans etc tell you that a certain nightspot is the best, tell them to fcuk off and keep walking...

Of course, if you want to be a complete deviant, I fully recommend http://www.sweetparadise.cz/home.php?lang=en

4. Auld-Yin

Cheers Boggy - not sure if I want to spend a stay in Prague in Irish bars! If I wanted to do that I could go to Dublin (or any city in the world almost :cry: ) I understand the czechky thing and don't blame them. I will try out some phrases in the hotel bar on night one. Ones such as

1 beer large beer please
    More Beer
    More Beer
    etc
    Until I get to the stage of
    1 absinthe pleessshh

5. Auld-Yin

Matelot - a man after my own heart. That seems to be the quiet family type areas I am looking for!!!!

Sweetparadise is even quoting a better exchange rate than I got from the travel agents (aka highway robbers)

6. I went to Prague two years ago and it is a great craic. Like Matelot said avoid Wenceslas square and head for the Charles bridge Area, 10 mins walk away. All food and drink is extremely cheap just remember the essentials....Pivo=Beer and Biftek=steak(always comes with chips, veg etc!). Oh and if you want to shag a midget bird then head to Goldfingers, ask anyone for directions, its VERY famous!!! Have a good one. Cheers Easy!

7. Been to Prague 5 times in all. Was absolutely fantastic a few years after the wall came down but has changed massively since then - some things are worse and some better. Personally, I always stay in the Hotel Imperial. It's a pretty crappy hotel as they go but is cheap, very close to most places you might want to visit and, best of all, in the restaurant they keep a bucket of yesterday's doughnuts which you can buy for a few hundred crowns. They then lock the doors and you can throw them at whoever you like! If you fancy getting out of the City Centre for a bit and seeing Prague as it really is, I'd suggest heading up to Zizkov - a working class district within walking distance of the main train station. Along the main drag there are plenty of cafes and pubs that don't see a Westerner from one month to the next. There is also a statue celebrating the liberation of Prague by the Red Army in 1945 - a Czech partisan kissing a Russian soldier. Sentimental old bastard that I am, I lay some red flowers on it's base whenever I visit!

9. Auld-Yin

Thanks Guys, I will use your experience to gain my own! I have already been booked into a hotel with my treavel agent which is a fair bit out of the centre, The Globus in Horni Roztyly but it is on the metro line so no probs getting about. I will try out some of the places you mention. not so sure about the midget though 8O

10. Depends on who you're going with. I've been 3 times with Mrs B over the last 6 years, so places like Goldfingers have been well off my radar.

If you're travelling alone or with male company then all of the above are good, but you'll probably end up drunk in sports bar or strip club just off Wenceslas full of stag parties and come Monday mornaing you'll wonder why you went coz you won't remember any of it.

If you're traveling with female company... Get a 3-day tcket for the public tpt, this gives you full access to clean and quick buses, trams and underground. Avoid taxis. Get your butt down WHS and buy the Dorling-Kindersly guide to Prague. Plenty of good bars and restaurants in Old Town and the Jewish Quarter. Take in a classical concert, there's loads, they're unfeasably cheap and you will enjoy it. Watch the astronomical clock in the old town square. The changing of the guard outside the Presidential Palace at the front of the castle is top for comedy drill skills.

Stand on Charles Bridge and see where Vin Diesel saved the world in xXx. While on Karlovy Most you will see a statue with a load of prople gathered round touching a brass plaque for luck; the bit you want to touch is the saint being thrown off the bridge, not the woman, the child or the soldier.

11. Just off Wenceslas Square, you will find groups of multi-lingual tour guides waiting for business.

Pick a Uni student - easy to tell - and pay the dosh, which can be fairly pricey. Go on the river, do the castle, go on the trams - great fun and totally worth it.

Charles Bridge area for bars; Wenceslas Square is a rip-off but stuffed full of totty.

Oh - and the good luck plaque on the bridge that you'll see virtually everyone touch is an in-house Czech joke - the real one is about 30 metres up the bridge rampart - watch closely and you'll locals heading for it.

And watch out for pickpockets fleecing you on public transport, particularly the trams. They work by 'crowding' you in the doorway and then making off with your stuff. They operate in groups of 4 or 5 so you should be able to see them coming. Swarthy types usually.

12. Also if you get caught travelling without a ticket on the underground the plain clothes Gestapo style 'travel police' are a fu*king nightmare. Me and three mates got on the underground (Hlavni Nadrazi station) heading towards the airport without the tickets and got busted on the way out of the station and had to leg it out of the station with suitcases slung on our backs. When we emerged there above ground there must have been some kind of military establishment nearby because there was loads of Czech soldiers milling about as well as police. During our tab for freedom we managed to pile into a taxi about half a mile down the road which for about 5 mins seemed as if the driver was gonna deliver us back into the hands of the b*stards!! The one way system went back past the station and the gestapo types were there looking under bushes and checking people in the bus shelters for us!! Just one tale out of fifty and we were only there for 5 days!!!!!

13. I double agree with that one. Mrs B was pickpocketed by exactly that method getting on a tram. Lost purse and digital camera, didn't notice until we got off a few stops later. Sure, we claimed on the insurance but having to spend 2 hours in the police station and then dealing with the insurance firm back home kinda put a dampener on the holiday.

14. Auld-Yin

Thanks guys yet again. I am looking forward to this and will have a fake wallet ready - does anyone have President Bliar currency I can use :lol:

The advice about taxi drivers is well received, why the local cooncil and polis would put up with it is unbelievable as being ripped off by a taxi driver is very often enough to put people off the return and putting the downers on anyone going there. Still, it is their country and I am a visitor aka Belfast taxis 70's/80's 8O ?

15. My hotel was in Prague 3-a really nice hotel (the 3 crowns). Cost into the main part was £3 in the taxi in the afternoon. Coming back it was £29. The driver looked like he was the CO of Spetnaz and was fooking massive. His arms were bigger than my legs and I wasn't going to mess with him. That was the only downside to Prague to be honest.