Prague

Discussion in 'Travel' started by skid2, Jul 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Ms Skid has decided we are off to Prague at the end of August for a couple of days.
    Places to miss and places not to miss.
    Beer, buildings, museums and art galleries are all acceptable.
    I thank you

2. Took Madame mnairb for her birthday a few years ago - excellent (and cheap) public transport system (cost just over a quid to get from the airport to the city centre). Very good and frequent tram system (any city with trams is my kind of city). Stayed at the Hotel Union near the national cemetery where Dvorak and Smetana are buried (forget the name of the place, overlooks the river) - OK, but opposite the main railway line and trains start at 0400. Food cheap but boring (still not shaken off the old Communist diet) and booze very cheap. Places to see - big castle on the hill, Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, restaurant dedicated to the meals described in the Good Soldier Sweijk. Do a bit of homework before you go - time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted, as they say.

3. if you type "Prague" into the search box at the top of the site you'll get lots of previous posts on the city

4. Church of SS Cyril & Methodias, where Heydrich's executioners held out until betrayed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Tried that before I posted from the tablet. Thing showed up stutterd and closed, just about to try it again from the lappy.

6. Can't fault you on the Church, amazing, however it would be closer to the truth to
    call them Heydrich's Assassins, would it not?

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If you have only a couple of days you are stuck in young student backpacker Hell. Get the Wenceslas Bridge / Torture museum shite out of your system as soon as possible.

Eating - like any European capital, wander back two or three streets off of the main drag and find a proper old beer cellar filled with locals. Try the pigs cheek with cabbage. Or any sausages with tatties.

Boat trips on the river at sunset are OK and worth the money. There are town tours that set off from the clock in the main square. Ask them what the iron cages are for in the middle of their squares. You will learn that Reinhardt Hiedrich was killed by locals and the Brits never trained the ungrateful bastards who did for him.

It is a small city and lovely, with friendly locals. Just walk up alleys away from the tourist drags.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

And Jan Pavek. Total hero of wherever Prague is. Here is my tribute to him...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Was there two months ago visiting this church, sobering stuff. Drove out to Lidice where the Nazis destroyed an entire village in retaliation and now a monument/open air museum. Even more sobering stuff.

10. For central accom this place gets a thumbs-up from a few aquaintances;

Savic Hotel Prague

11. Ace place Prague, Hotel Mala Strana is ok and cheap close to centre go through hotels.com, telecasters suggestion is good they still have the bullet holes in the church wall and inside its amazing. I think Its St Vitus' on the top of the hill (lead poisoning St Vitus' dance comes from when they built this) on your way up there is an ace bar on the left just before the long flight of steps, parliament change of the guard worth seeing very neat and you can get up close, its same place as St Vitus'. Down in town look for the underground bar with the skulls and trabant set into the ceiling, to get cheaper food try little places away from the city centre. The pub crawl of brewpubs is ace and exhausting, as is the main bar of Staropramen brewery all copper. Watch out for scammers from africa and pickpockets esp on trams. Get a small guide book. How long have you got.........that lot will take a week or so, good luck let us know how you get on.Gash.

12. PM me if you want to stay at the Kempinski: quite new (in an old building) near the centre. My corporate rate is EUR 150 a night (all rooms are suites and you get a guaranteed upgrade).

Great city, sadly slightly spoiled by drunken British twats (on their stag do), however the locals still welcome families and well behaved groups. If you go the countryside then a top tip: never, but never, eat sausages or meat from any of the train station restaurants. You will be shitting and vomiting for days. Tripadvisor has plently to do but take their restaurant rating with a pinch of salt: a lot of stupid people with no taste write reviews on that site with the result that some truly average to shite touristy places make it to the top ten list.

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

We went to Bratislava after Prague and if you think Prague is bad for those *******, Bratislava is off the scale for these twats.

14. Of course you could always PM Kromeriz... just saying like. As I live here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Took Mrs DF there for her 40th about five years ago. Got a deal for £130 pp flying from Manchester on the Friday night and returning on the Sunday night and staying at the Hotel Duo (4 star) b+b. Courtesy bus to the tube station every twenty minutes; couldn't fault it.