Practical shooting?

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
I'm looking at getting a FAC for a bit of pest control on a mates farm. While I'm at it I thought I'd get a. 357 or. 44 underleaver for a bit of fun target shooting. Looking in to this I came across practical shooting in the UK.

Is anyone here in to this discipline and can offer advice to a newbie? I'm considering asking for a 2nd. 22 semi-auto in the ticket for short rifle shooting.

ugly

LE
I'm looking at getting a FAC for a bit of pest control on a mates farm. While I'm at it I thought I'd get a. 357 or. 44 underleaver for a bit of fun target shooting. Looking in to this I came across practical shooting in the UK.

Is anyone here in to this discipline and can offer advice to a newbie? I'm considering asking for a 2nd. 22 semi-auto in the ticket for short rifle shooting.
Don’t be surprised if the police recommend that you use a shotgun for a few years and suggest that you join a rifle club in the meantime, after all what do you think legal quarry can be taken with a 357?

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
I'm already enquiring with a few clubs in my area to see if they're accepting members. If limited to a single .22LR I'll go for one suitable for practical shooting and pest control.

I have shot before and was a club member. I used club guns and didn't get around to my FAC.

I can wait for the underleaver :)

UKPSA - UKPSA are the predominant governing body for the sport. A few clubs are affiliated to them depending obviously where you live. I did the pistol (back in the day) and shotgun courses. I never took up mini rifle or gallery rifle. UKPSA represent 'practical shooting' to 'British Shooting' which is the governing body recognised by the Dept of Culture, Media and Sport.

Whether UKPSA allow you to join simply for 'mini rifle' as an individual is up to them. Also, look to what the condition on your FAC says when you get it as UKPSA may not agree it covers their disciplines.

The current guidance is here:

Para 13.56
Pump-action, self-loading and other types of shotgun may be used for ‘practical’ target shooting disciplines in which the shooter moves to engage a number of different targets. Applicants should normally be a member of a relevant organisation such as the National Rifle Association, the United Kingdom Practical Shooting Association or National Target Shotgun Association, either individually or as a member of an affiliated club. For ‘End of Trail’ shooting, a set of practical disciplines with a ‘Wild West’ theme, the British Western Shooting Society (BWSS) is the relevant organisation. In view of the potential hazards associated with the more extreme forms of practical shooting, the police will wish to consider with particular care applications for firearms for ‘practical’ shooting that falls beyond the examples cited above.

Condition for shooting vermin:
The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing-practice on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Thanks for that. There is an affiliated club relatively close to me. They're my first choice. As I understand it I can join the club and not be a member of UKPSA. I'd have to join UKPSA to compete, but that's some way ahead.

I have authority to shoot on a farm. The farm has already been assessed by the FLO as they have authority for shotgun and .22LR. I hope to have a moderated .22 with bipod and bits for the farm and a S&W M&P .22LR or something similar for the practical shooting.

I hadn't heard of the BWSS. Maybe one to look up if/when I get an underleaver.

Latest Threads