Practical Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    and/or Civilian Service Rifle - anyone shoot the discipline(s)?

    Looks like a lot of fun, especially to an ex-military competition shooter.

    As I understand it, technical rules are specific to the range/competition? No definitive set exists????
    Stuff like "must be member of the NRA or HO approved club" is logical - but what about visitors from Europe (with EFP's and appropriate national documentation) as guests?

    I will be in UK a bit this year ('cos its cheap!!) and fancy something a bit more "traditional" than than my serious ISSF competition diet - can anyone give me a heads up?
  2. Alsacien
    You should be able to pick up a lot of useful information on PR/SR shooting in the UK on the UK part of the forum (see link). You'll need to register to post a question there but I think you would get helpful responses.
  3. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    Thanks ST!
  4. Come play IPSC with us in NL. Must have passed a qual for it though...
  5. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Henry_Toombs shoots civilian service rifle which is quite good fun, I used to dabble a little in Practical Pistol but spend my range time in the woods on simulated stalks to train clients before we let them loose on real Bambis. Thats Practical and involves a rifle with a minimum energy rating.
  6. I shoot both PR (practical rifle) and CSR Civilian Service Rifle.
    Both disciplines are great fun :D

    The CSR matches are typically held at Bisley, usually on Century Range.

    The CSR dates for this year are as follows:

    Saturday 24th January

    Sunday 22nd February

    Sunday 22nd March

    Saturday 11th April

    Imperial Meeting July 2nd to 5th - (possibly Pirbright)

    Saturday 24th October

    Sunday 22nd November

    Sunday 6th December

    Mark Bradley is pretty much organising the CSR matches for us this year as our NRA rep has been posted to the Falklands (not as a punishment I should add...;-) )

    Mark (forum name streetfighter) is the moderator of the UK Hometown forum on
    Follow this

    The PR matches are held on MOD ranges all over the country.
    The PR home page can be found here although they haven't updated with this years dates as yet.

    I'm not sure of the legal in's and out's of visitors shooting over here, but I'm sure its entirely possible given the correct paperwork.

    Hope to see you on the range !

  7. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    Steven, many thanks mate.
    I had found both links but not the "Hometown" section, I'll try and chase up some continental stuff too
  8. Do you need to comply with this ?

    West Mids Police - Visitors Permit

    How do I apply for a visitor's permit?

    Applications for visitor's permits must be made on behalf of the visitor, to the Chief Officer of Police, by a person resident in
    that area. In most cases a private sponsor will himself be a certificate holder, but this
    is not a requirement.

    Applications must be made on Form 107 for both firearms and shotguns.

    The sponsor may be a private individual, or may make the application in the capacity of a club, shooting syndicate, country estate or shooting organisation.

    Group applications can be made for parties of between 6 and 20 people provided they are all shooting at the same location and at the same time, or are participating in the same event or competition. In such circumstances a reduced fee is payable.
    See Fees and Charges.

    Applications should be made well in advance of the required date, to allow the proper enquiries to be made. The information necessary will be provided by the sponsor
    to whom all enquiries will be made.
    Criteria for granting a permit

    A Chief Officer of Police must not grant a permit to any person in respect of whom he has reason to believe:

    That his possession of the ammunition or weapons in question would represent a danger to public safety or to the peace; or
    That he is prohibited from possessing such weapons or ammunition.

    If the grant is not precluded on the above grounds, the Chief Officer of Police must be satisfied that:

    The applicant is visiting or intends to visit Great Britain; and either
    In the case of a visitor's firearm permit, the applicant has good reason for having each firearm and the ammunition to which the permit relates in his possession, or, as respects ammunition, for purchasing or acquiring it whilst a visitor to Great Britain; or
    In the case of a visitor's shotgun permit, the applicant has a good reason for having each shotgun to which the permit relates in his possession, or for purchase or acquiring it, whilst he is a visitor to Great Britain.

    When a permit is granted it will be sent to the sponsor who should forward it to the visitor in his country of origin, for presentation to customs on his arrival in Great Britain. The visitor's permit will be accepted in lieu of a Department of Trade & Industry import licence. Failure to produce the permit at the time of importation may render the firearms/shotguns liable to detention or seizure.

    Members of EU countries must be in possession of a European Firearms Pass which should be forwarded with the application for the permit.

    Should an application for the grant of a visitor's permit be refused there is no right of appeal. However notification of such refusals will, circumstances allowing, be detailed by letter in good time to prevent any unnecessary travel costs

    West Mids Police - Vistors & Firearms

    How can a visitor to the UK possess firearms or shotguns?

    Under section 17 of the 1988 Act a visitor
    to Great Britain may, if he is granted a visitor's permit, have in his possession firearms, shotguns or ammunition without holding a certificate.

    The holder of a visitor's firearms permit may have in his possession any firearm (but not purchase one), and purchase, acquire or have in his possession any ammunition, to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies.

    The holder of a visitor's shotgun permit may have in his possession, purchase or acquire shotguns and is exempt from the requirement to produce a shotgun certificate when purchasing cartridges. Both permits are valid for a period of up to 12 months and must show the full details of weapons covered and, in the case of a firearms permit, show details of the quantity of ammunition to be purchased/acquired and held. Similarly, territorial and other conditions as would appear on a firearms certificate, will normally be imposed on a firearms permit.

    Separate permits for each police area are not required as both permits will cover the visitor throughout Great Britain.
  9. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    I have done that process with a shotgun for clay and game shooting in UK - no problem.
    I wondered whether ranges were different with their stipulation of NRA/Club membership, perhaps insurance issues for example?
    Easy for me to check I suppose before I get into planning and booking.