Pqo ???

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jul 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read an email about PQO's. Process seems to weekend selection, AOSB and then I presume PQO Sandhurst.

Is the AOSB the same as the normal DE one, I think I read on here this used to be at Strensall (and with medics). I think I've seen the course content for RMAS and if I remember correctly it has some similarities to a recruits course, i.e. not like the DE version... .

Any comments?

2. PQO? (apparently that's too short a post)

3. PQOs (doctors, lawyers, physios etc) attend what is known as the knife, fork and spoon course. Just enough info to ensure they don't embarress themselves ;-)

4. I prefer it's proper title - "Tarts and Vicars".

5. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

From memory, the PQO course is 10 weeks at RMAS (under Dettingen), but the TAPQO course (aka vicars & tarts) is the four week one, split 2 weeks at the wonderful Strensall and then two weeks at RMAS within 12 months of completing Strensall.

6. Really? When it was shared with the SSLC course in the 90s it was three or four weeks at the factory.

7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its recently been lengthened, as modern operations (360 degrees, etc.) mean that a vague ability not to slaughter your own side when handling an L85 is no longer an acceptable minimum standard. Doubtless RMAS has filled the extra six weeks with useful stuff like ironing and section attacks however.

8. Bet the Vicars & Tarts are spitting feathers, Caecilius. BTW all the best to Metella & Quintus...

9. Yeah - go for it. Become a Signals Officer and thereby complete your lobotomy.

10. The only Professionally Qualified Officers in R. Signals are LE, save for one or two very rare exceptions. The remainder are frightfully good at HR, at least in their own opinion.

SS

11. and 'IT Crowd'

12. Things are going quite well. As you can see though, I often have too much time to ponder.

Thank you for asking.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Nah.

As pointed out above, the PQO course is the Vicars and Tarts. The KFS course was/is for LE Offrs to cure them of HKLP disease; the long KFS was for pre RMAS DE based at Beaconsfield and several London theatres.

14. I get the feeling I'm gonna need to send out a few emails to CVHQ but I presume a PQO's employability is limited compared to LE/DE (I believe these are the same now - same exams at Capt etc).

Anyone know of any differences between AOSB or do PQO's do the same as DE?

15. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you are going for a medical cadetship, like most, then its the same. If you're entering as a qualified PQO then you get a watered down version.