PQO Nursing

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Bounty_Hunter, Oct 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Was hoping to garner some advice regarding roles of the PQO in nursing.

I am currently in the second year of a Nursing degree and looking to pursue a career in the Armed Forces thereafter.

However I am having difficulty in differentiating the Nursing roles of a PQO and a senior NCO due to limited knowledge.

Any info on this matter is very much appreciated.

2. It is a question of the difference between leadership and management, i believe.

A 'situation' can be managed by anyone, but an effective leader really gets the job done by inspiring others, showing them the way, valuing their contribution, acting with an appreciation of the bigger picture (i.e. the mission) etc. He/she need not neccesarily be 'hands on', but they should be prepared to do what they delegate to others!

Any clearer?.....I know, clear as mud!
  3. I was hoping to discover information about specific role profiles for Nursing Officers and how this role is adapted when deployed on operational tour.

However, I thank you for the response, it was very much appreciated.
  4. Sorry to bump this thread but I could really use any additional advice on offer regarding this.

5. You could try looking at the Army Careers website. You may find the info you need there or you could get in touch with the QARANC Recruiting Office, they will have plenty of info for you and, if you are interested, invite you to an Acquaint Day which is specifically geared up for potential Officers. This involves some presentations and visits to Army units, as well as a chance to ask all the questions you want - without any obligation to sign up. Honest!

6. Junior Nursing Officers are often put in command positions (IC/2IC of wards or depts) on ops and have extra work such as training officer, committees, mess jobs, organising events & meetings, duty officer and report writing etc. At home they are unlikely to be in clinical command positions while working with the NHS but will have responsibility for some of their junior colleagues and will still have extra jobs to perform and will almost certainly be report writing. Junior NCOs concentrate on the clinical side of life in the MDHUs although there will be extra work for them such as duty NCO, maybe guard duties, organising events under supervison (not always). In my experience, an NCO has great scope to do as much or as little as they want when it comes to extra ciricular activities. Some are keen and want to get on so will seek out extra responsibility and play representative sport etc. Others will do the bare minimum.

RAF Nurse explains things very well.
  7. Not really what you would construe as Command Positions... In Charge yes, with the responsibilites that come with being a Commissioned Officer.

My advice BH, get the information from (address & number googled):

Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps
    QARANC Recruiting
    HQ AMS
    Slim Road
    GU15 4NP
    Tel: 01276 412740
  8. As a newly qualified nurse, you'll need hands on experience as a nurse to consolidate your training.

You need two years AT LEAST post qualification experience to apply for a commission, therefore your optiions are a bit limited
  9. No longer true, had a brief on this last night. Commissioning straight after qualification will now take you to the lofty heights of 2Lt (paid as Lt), two years to Lt and a further two to Capt (assuming getting the right recommendations). So two years experience is no longer necessary but those coming with two years post qualification experience will skip 2Lt and go straight to Lt.
    Hope this helps.
  10. glad is been brought into main stream now - we had the first one pip wonder in 2003

but does that make you a good nurse, or a good manager? or could you be both?
  13. Presumably, the same system also applies to SR Paramedics?
  14. Neither, i respectfully suggest, but hopefully a first step towards becoming both. I'd be interested to hear what the more experienced of you think about commissioning directly from uni. Its a route I'll have to consider in the not too distant future myself. Would people recommend this route (for those already serving) if one plans on commissioning at the two year point anyway? Not much appears to be lost by waiting, given that with two years experience you skip 2Lt. How much would having the duties of a junior officer detract from focusing on being a newly qualified nurse and gaining the necesary experience. I plan in the longer term (board permitting) to be both an officer and a nurse, is there anything to be gained from moving up straight away?
  15. Yeah but - Presumably, the same system also applies to SR Paramedics?