PQO for registered nurses - Help and advice!

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by Custador, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm about to qualify as a nurse (mature student), and am intending to apply to QARANC via the PQO route as soon as I'm eligible (i.e. in two years' time). So: I know I can be a nurse, but what do I need to do in the next two years to make sure I can be an officer?

I'll be 33 years old by the time I'm eligible, which I know would rule me out of joining as a soldier, but I can't find any age limits for entering as an officer - Anybody know if there's a limit, or if my application will be viewed unfavourably because of my age?

Aside from the obvious fitness work (I've dropped five stones in three years, so I don't doubt my ability to get in shape), I'm starting to cram British military history and modern battle tactics; I figure I'll need to learn the theory behind good leadership, orienteering, and generally get in the habit of adopting a military bearing in my day to day. Oh, I was a first class shot with .22, LSW and GP rifles in cadets, plus I'm a country boy who grew up around firearms, so I have no worries about weapons handling.

I'm on cardio over-drive and have ordered soldier 95 boots and a daysack which I can load up to 60lbs for hill walking (yay for living in South Wales).

Basically, I'm looking for a mentor!

2. Seems like I'll be a cinch to get in then - QARANC must be bloody short-staffed :p

3. Just to answer my own question in case anybody is interested: Seems like I can't get past the central Army recruitment bods who have decreed that 33 is the age limit, and no I bloody well may not join if I'm 33 years and 9 months old by the time I've got two years of clinical experience.

I am not, however, giving up that easily. The age limits are higher for TA, so I'm going to try for a place among the reservists. If I can go from there to the regular army (I've asked in the TA forum) in the fullness of time, then great - If not, I'll still be proud to serve part-time. I'm also seriously considering approaching QARANC directly... And praying that the age limit goes up.

4. Google 203 field hospital.

Go and have a chat.

5. Sound advice. I shall.

6. Thanks Tobers. As I said in the other thread, according to the QARANC guy I was chatting to, the central recruiting bods were talking cobblers - The age limit for PQO is 39.