Chaps,

Recently got confirmation of PQO bursary for final 3 years of med school. Been told when i start clinical placements in year 3-5 i'll have meeting with AMS to discuss possible preferences for where I want to head for foundation training

I want to know if there's anywhere I should particularly steer clear of when i'm indicating preferences, and at the other end of the spectrum any regts you'd recommend...

Thanks

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Chaps,

Recently got confirmation of PQO bursary for final 3 years of med school. Been told when i start clinical placements in year 3-5 i'll have meeting with AMS to discuss possible preferences for where I want to head for foundation training

I want to know if there's anywhere I should particularly steer clear of when i'm indicating preferences, and at the other end of the spectrum any regts you'd recommend...

Thanks

You will be RAMC. You will get little choice in whom you see. Even as an RMO, that only means the bulk of your patients will be from that regiment, you will still have all the attached and detached in the area.

Chaps,

Thanks

Do you not have to do your foundation years in a deanary that has a MDHU within it? Equally (from my discussions with my MOs) I'm pretty sure you're going t have to do GP, EM and General Surgery in your rotations.

DocSavage

Clanker
My understanding is you may be able to do fy1/2 jobs in a military linked hospital but it is not compulsory (I am no longer serving so not up to date). Where you do foundation training depends on where you are at medical school and / or where you want to live /work for a couple of years. This will have absolutely no impact on the res of your medical or military career so feel free to tell them where you would like to work initially

As regard where you go after that, wellthe world is truly your lobster and it depends on what you want to get out of your time in he army. Most first postings are now to medical regiments and you will do a range of duties/ deployments for a couple of years before commencing higher professional training. I would concentrate on getting the most out of your first 2-3 years before worrying about your longer term career

Longer answers are available but for now, it is long way off and I would suggest you do a few visits during your time as a student and see if you can do any of the medical school modules with the army. I did my obstetrics I Germany in a military hospital which is unfortunately no longer an option but many have blagged a gp rotation in Cyprus or Germany in the past. Remember, if you don't ask it wont happen!