PQO - do they do the same RCB as everyone else?

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by MrNurse, Aug 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought for the future, (always think big!). Do potential professionally qualified officers, and I'm thinking nurses in particular, do the same process of RCB briefing and RCB as everyone else and then some kind of professional board afterwards - or is there a separate process and assessment for them, given that they will be doing the shortened Sandhurst course?

Thanks

2. I did RCB in 1995, sponsored by RLC and there was a doctor in my syndicate. She was utterly hopeless, as it happens (and failed)!

I presume it will be the same now, though could be wrong.

3. RAMC have a separate RCB.

4. RCB for PQOs is a three day event, and not 5 as per standard RCB.

Only the Nurses undertake RCB - the RAMC wouldnt get any doctors in if they had to undertake it.

Once you apply - QA Recruiting at Camberley will give you all the info that will assist you in preparing and taking the RCB

MrNurse - bearing in mind that you are still in training - and you need to be two years post qualification to apply, i think youve got plenty time to think of other more important things, like getting qualified first!!

PRIORITIES!!
    1. get qualified
    2. get two years in (as a MINIMUM)
    3. get a recommendation (if you are a junior rank)

5. The name's changed. It's Army Officer Selection Board now, reflecting the fact that TA as well as regulars sit it.

Everyone except doctors have to attend some sort of AOSB but the nurses/chaplains/lawyers boards are separate from the normal ones.

http://www.army.mod.uk/aosb/

edited to add link

6. [quote="Bedpan2zero"

MrNurse - bearing in mind that you are still in training - and you need to be two years post qualification to apply, i think youve got plenty time to think of other more important things, like getting qualified first!!

PRIORITIES!!
    1. get qualified
    2. get two years in (as a MINIMUM)
    3. get a recommendation (if you are a junior rank)[/quote]

Thanks, surprisingly my priority is to become qualified, just putting my feelers out so I know what my future options might be. I find having a plan, even if it has to be modified later on, helps keep me motivated and is certainly better than trying to find everything out all at once, only to find that there were things I should have looked at before.

Secondly, they give me free tinternet here at college so you may find I post many things, sensible or not, just because a question has popped into my mind. I greatly appreciate all answers cause they add to my understanding and help point me in the right direction. Don't mean to upset people - I know I'll have to learn my job first, but if I wasn't interested in what I could aim for later on I wouldn't bother doing any of it.

Cheers
    MrNurse

Ps. Cheers for the link SeaJay

7. I'm a doctor, and I'm going to have to sit a Commissioning Board. Is that not the equivalent of the RCB? Moreover, there are nurses and lab techs going before the same board.

PQO's are different in that we are commissioned before going to Sandhurst... but that's true for nursing officers, dentists, vets, and lab techs (that are being officered).

FF.

8. Although Seajay's link does suggest doctors and dentists do not need to sit an AOSB...

So what's our Commissioning Board then? And why do the nurses sit the same commissioning board?

FF.

9. Well as a doctor I sat the Arm Selection Board - ie Interview with DGAMS, a brigadier and two colonels. And, er, that was it.

10. That's what I am expecting, but the nurses and lab techs I've been training with are going to the same board.

If they are doing that, why would they also do the AOSB?

11. ALL CHANGE

even Doctors now have to do the PQO AOSB !!

12. Since when?

13. was at a presentation last month - and was told all AMS will be undertaking AOSB, except dental

14. Interesting. Interesting because I know the bloke who has been tasked with developing the concepts and plans and nothing has been written yet. Equally, the RADC will almost definitely be included in that plan as well. Perhaps not the fait accompli you suggest it is.

Incidentally, there is no 'PQO' AOSB. There is, however, a QA AOSB. Is that what you meant?