PPRISM - They're Watching You! The NSA, that is!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rgjbloke, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This report from the Guardian is pretty eye opening. This article mentions the American NSA but I would imagine the major western agencies such as MI5 are able to access the data as well. I expect it's no surprise to most people that the worlds intelligence gathering agencies have fingers in the various internet pie's including the biggies such as Google, Facebook and MSN etc.

What is surprising to me is that this seems to be just about everything. How on earth do they cope with that amount of data?

That apart, on the one hand, I'm supportive of efforts to spot terrorist activity before the actual event takes place. That keeps us safe and when they don't succeed, the results can be really disastrous. The other hand though does think, how far should this go?

The problem for example is, are there any guarantees that governments will just use the information for anti terrorist stuff. What's to stop them deciding to release private details to for example, the tax authorities from systems originally set up to save lives?

Here's the link: NSA taps in to systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and others, secret files reveal | World news | The Guardian
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. I've somehow managed to add an extra P into the title. Can a Mod alter it please.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  3. I'll have a "P" Bob!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anybody surprised by this?

GCHQ is full of NSA staff on secondment (jolly).
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Compare and contrast our country today with that of 69 years ago. The Allies were breaking out of the beaches, (without a Nanny in sight) to the astonishment of the Germans who had had all of their spies and sympathisers quietly mopped up, turned or neutralised by our security services. The security services identified those spies despite them looking like and coming from a basically similar background to our own population. Now we exsist in a risk-averse society that puts political correctness above common sense and Equality above all else. We have become a herd of sheep continually reminded by the sheep dogs that wolves are lurking – and fear the sheep dog marginally less than the wolf.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. The most surprising thing for me is that people are surprised that this has been running for years.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. <dons tin foil hat>

You mean they can see this conversation?

Seriously, it has been happening for years. It's just that there is so much info available, without filtering, most of the population of the world would need to be involved in interception just to start the in process rolling. Regardless of what is in he public domain, I have no doubt that it is merely the tip of the iceberg. Look at the ratio of CCTV camera to operators f'rinstance. Int by its very nature is mostly reactive rather than proactive. You get to kiss a lot of frogs etc
    • Like Like x 1

8. At a guess, they don't. It probably acts as a searchable database for dipping into (or fishing, your choice). It's a bit like CCTV cameras recording your every move: they do, but no bugger is watching....
  9. Surveillance has evolved in the last 29 years, since 1984.
  10. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Anyone fancy setting up a "Person Of Interest"-style vigilante spin-off capability? I'm a dab hand with a PC but my weapon handling skills are entirely based on years of video games experience. ARRSE is clearly the place to find a suitable steely-eyed dealer of death to help in such a venture.

Think about it, chaps. That blokey in POI gets 'nuff muff for his efforts.
  11. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  12. Watching through that now, almost finished the second series! Mega programme.

EDIT: It is a bit of a Republican's ****-fantasy but it's refreshing to watch a programme where the cops are the goodies. End Of Watch over Rampart, for instance.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. On a lesser level. "Watchdog" this week reported that Tesco Insurance had queried a claimant after a burglary because he had claimed for an i pod(?) and, some months later, tweeted he had downloaded music.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. This is pretty much it, the ex NSA guy William Binney covered this in his tasking by NSA to solve the "too much data" problem. It's far too much to analyse in anything close to real time so they hoover the lot and store it. Then they look at the metadata (patterns such as who is communicating with who) and so on and build up a web of interactions. The very last thing they do is actually look at the data itself.
    • Like Like x 2