PPI - WTF

Longinthegums

Old-Salt
OK. I might have had PPI in my 70+ years.

I have to ask the institutions if I had PPI.

The institutions can tell me if I had PPI.

So why don't they just refund me and everyone else who ever had PPI?

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Not everyone who had PPI was missold and hence it's not for the banks to decide on your behalf if it was the right product to meet your needs at the time.

SWJ99

War Hero
I was self employed so I claimed through Glastone Brookes, because I was really busy etc. I was surprised at how much I got back. I was expecting about £250 after their commission, but the total came to about £1,700. Then about 9 months later, Barclaycard wrote to me without me even having to ask them, and said they'd just noticed I was entitled to a refund. What nice people. They sent me a cheque for another 200 odd quid. Wish I'd had more credit cards now.

PPI is payment protection insurance

There is nothing wrong with PPI
The problem is ‘misselling’ of PPI

As a part of a claim you need to establish that the insurance was worthless to you and that you had no choice to decline PPI

Don’t use a claims agency, just contact anyone you had loans or credit cards with. If you don’t remember enough details or have records then just leave lots of the forms blank / noted that you are unsure of details
They have the records and can trace enough for you

Claim through Resolver. Absolutely free and gives you the template letters to use. And don't worry about companies that don't exist anymore as someone might still be liable for them.

I claimed for PPI on an Egg loan for £5k from 2000 then went on holiday. Came back and found a cheque for £2,700 on my doormat.

Do not use the claims companies. They will charge commission on all refunds, even if you don't receive any money. So if you have a bad debt with the bank and they "owe" you £2,000, that money will go towards repaying your bad debt, but you will still owe the claims company £500.

And if you get initially fobbed off copy email the financial ombudsman and let them go after the provider. My endowment mortgage provider tried that tack with me, and after involving ombudsman I got a cheque for £2k

Claim through Resolver. Absolutely free and gives you the template letters to use. And don't worry about companies that don't exist anymore as someone might still be liable for them.

I claimed for PPI on an Egg loan for £5k from 2000 then went on holiday. Came back and found a cheque for £2,700 on my doormat.

Do not use the claims companies. They will charge commission on all refunds, even if you don't receive any money. So if you have a bad debt with the bank and they "owe" you £2,000, that money will go towards repaying your bad debt, but you will still owe the claims company £500.
I used a claims company and got 100% of the monies owed (8000). The claims company charged LloydsTSB separately - which was in the region of 30,000 (this included mediation and a court case).

I got £3k back in total and have 2 more at the Ombudsman awaiting appeal, has been well worth the effort.

I went to the FCA website and followed the links they provided. Piece of cake.
Quick question: is the deadline to check with the bank, or to make the complaint? Even the FCA is a bit vague on this.

It seems to be a case of "if you don't ask then you don't get".

I did ask (just incase), turns out I never had any - as expected.

Maybe I'll be more successful with Dieselgate.

Don’t use a claims agency, just contact anyone you had loans or credit cards with. If you don’t remember enough details or have records then just leave lots of the forms blank / noted that you are unsure of details
They have the records and can trace enough for you
A year ago, I got ten grand from Northern Rock, self-claimed. We had written to every financial services firm we had ever had any dealings with, and all of them (NR included) said they had no record of us having had ppi. NR recanted when we supplied a copy of the original agreement form.

We currently have three claims being chased by one of the many claims firms, all with organisations which have previously denied any record. If they are successful, my view is that 75% of something is greater than 100% of nothing.

I f
It seems to be a case of "if you don't ask then you don't get".

I did ask (just incase), turns out I never had any - as expected.

Maybe I'll be more successful with Dieselgate.
Same here. Back in the day I read the small print, realised it would never pay out in a month of Sundays, and saved myself a few bob. If only I'd been more gullible and coughed up I could have been reaping the benefits.

I f

Same here. Back in the day I read the small print, realised it would never pay out in a month of Sundays, and saved myself a few bob. If only I'd been more gullible and coughed up I could have been reaping the benefits.
..... but if you did take it you wouldn’t be eligible to claim as you read the small print

..... you could however have claimed and said you weren’t shown it

I f

I got 6k back from lloyds. This despite never, ever asking for PPI, because the jobs I've had provided more than enough cover. So obviously some little tinker at lloyds ticked the yes box 'on my behalf'. I can only thank the commission hungry little tinker for doing me a favour, even if it was by accident.

I know Barclays did, I suspect they were getting the Liabilities out early and so they could move forward.

At least in my case, PPI doesn't cover acts of war or similar, as they utterly forgot to mention at the time and I was attempting to join the TA. Instant mis-selling. I think I also managed to catch them on something else as well.

It did lead to the amusing situation where I checked my bank account a week or two after being told I had been awarded £300, only to see my account saying £5,500. My first reaction was "How the hell can I be that overdrawn! Have I been robbed?" so I went storming into the bank all worried like, and the Personel Banker looked at me funny and said "Sir, that accounts in credit."

And if you get initially fobbed off copy email the financial ombudsman and let them go after the provider. My endowment mortgage provider tried that tack with me, and after involving ombudsman I got a cheque for £2k
Thanks. I wonder if that would work with the Clydesdale Bank. They said I had had a PPI with them, but were no help beyond that, possibly because my mortgages were with someone else. I can't work out what happened that long ago. I'll maybe give the ombudsman a shot as you suggest.

Thanks. I wonder if that would work with the Clydesdale Bank. They said I had had a PPI with them, but were no help beyond that, possibly because my mortgages were with someone else. I can't work out what happened that long ago. I'll maybe give the ombudsman a shot as you suggest.
As soon as you tell them you think it’s been mis-sold and want to make a complaint they must acknowledge and investigate it. Then if not concluded to your satisfaction set the ombudsman on them. Details all on FCA website.

I was self employed so I claimed through Glastone Brookes, because I was really busy etc. I was surprised at how much I got back. I was expecting about £250 after their commission, but the total came to about £1,700. Then about 9 months later, Barclaycard wrote to me without me even having to ask them, and said they'd just noticed I was entitled to a refund. What nice people. They sent me a cheque for another 200 odd quid. Wish I'd had more credit cards now.
I've got them on with a case now. I wasn't too bothered when all these different PPI companies were hounding me with phone calls a few years ago but as the deadline was coming up and numerous people told me they had got quite a lot of money back I thought I'd get Gladstone Brooks on with it. I remember taking a loan out in the early 2000's to buy a car and the first £2000 or so paid back on the loan was for the payment protection so perhaps I'll get some of that back, plus the credit cards I had around the same time.

17k back from a miss spent youth of fast cars and Naafi cards. If you served you have a good claim as the PPI sold wasn't relevant to you as you weren't covered and the employer benefits (ha ha) you received sick pay etc made the policy redundant. I claimed direct from Lloyds. The Naafi card was sheer madness if you gave a load of jocks/toms a magic card with £500 drink now pay later no one cared it would eventually cost a grand and a free court hearing.

I've got them on with a case now. I wasn't too bothered when all these different PPI companies were hounding me with phone calls a few years ago but as the deadline was coming up and numerous people told me they had got quite a lot of money back I thought I'd get Gladstone Brooks on with it. I remember taking a loan out in the early 2000's to buy a car and the first £2000 or so paid back on the loan was for the payment protection so perhaps I'll get some of that back, plus the credit cards I had around the same time.
Minus the 25% GB will take?

Latest Threads