PPA (Path profile analysis)

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by commsbloke, Sep 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know of any reputable freeware or software that can carry out VHF & HF PPA. Yes I know Combat does, however I want something I can use without having to power up a vehicle! Many moons ago there was a program called Win HF (I think) but I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Operating system would be windows.

2. msr

msr LE

3. msr, I have spent my entire lunch hour doing nothing but 'googling' it seems that unless you want to do PPA for microwave links or mobile telecomms there is not a lot out there. Someone must have a good program on their laptop that they use when planning exercises or op. Plus I don't want to pay for software!

4. May i suggest the YOS at the Inf CIS div in Warminster. We always used to do it the hard way with pencils and maffs but the YOS was the custodian of WIN HF and used it to plan all of the Inf CIS exercises.

5. Project Spectra is freely available from the DE&S ISS guys who work at Engineers Corner, Blandford. If your RA, speak to the YofS at Larkhill, he will be able to point you in the right direction.

6. Rather than looking for PPA should you not be looking for prediction software?

eHam.net Propagation Page

PPA will bring you up stuff to do with line of site, have a look at the Radio Ham websites.

7. Win HF has been withdrawn. As already mentioned on here, get Spectra which is pretty good. If you want to do some Skywave then Forrest Moor do predictions I believe.

8. Stop being idle, get your graph paper, maps and pencil sharpened at both ends out!
    All this technology is going to bite us on the facking arse one day!!!

9. I was more thinking Mw Line of Site calculators when you type in and search for PPA.

10. Software?!

Chippy Wood would've launched his blackboard (can I still say that?!) cleaner at you for such foul language!

11. Jack Godwin probably invented the software.

12. Jack Godwin was a T100, sent back from the future in an attempt to deprive us of Trend, VOIP, etc.

Ah, just picturing him now, sat high above us, rolly, firmly clenched between the finger and thumb of a man who had obviously served time sub-surface.

In his finest Yorkshire tone "You hear that lad, that's a Type 50 sub, probably Jap"........."Of course Sir, of course"....

13. Chippy Wood won 1.2mill on the Lottery and then sold his house to his own daughter for full market value the tight git! "WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! YOU SNOTGOBBLINGSONOFACHINESEBOTTLEWASHINGWHORE!!"
    and Mad Jack Godwin's dog probably still can transeive morse faster than i can. Still got his training key though Ha Ha!

14. Jack Godwin used to spend his lunch times listening to the high speed morse coming off the Russian ships off the north of Scotland, the lunatic