Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by mo8462, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. has anyone got any tips on powerpoint presentations
  2. Keep it clean and uniform

Stick to the accepted background

don't use too many effects

oh, finally don't try to be too clever
  3. No presentation is complete without the mandatory "Little Britain" clip - "Blackadder" is so deja vue.
  4. Not too long. Don't let the presentation take over (don't make it fancy). Don't rely on your slides to do your job. Check spelling. Check it again. Make sure the colours don't scream at your audience. Don't overcrowd the slide with information. Don't use too many slides (overkill). Don't try to use inappropriate pictures (not clever not big). KISS! Get hold of a USB enabled clicker to stop you having to press a key every time you want to move on. Practice Practice Practice. Know what your next slide says and don't get ahead in your presentation (nothing worse than talking about a point and then clicking to see it appear AFTER you have dealt with it).

Apart from the above you should wing it.
  5. ask teenage daughter..
  6. If presenting on a screen, use dark print, and a light background

If projecting, use light print and a dark background

A plain background makes it easier to read, just use a graduated dark top to lighter bottom if projecting.

Don't have too many fancy ways for the text to appear, keep it simple.

Timewise, I always used to reckon on 1 slide per minute of average (including title slide at begining and end)

I always used to repeat the title slide as the very last slide so they have something to look at at the end, and it reminds them who you are and what you were talking about!

If setting up before audience appear, I always put up a picture slide very first. (just a general pic, nice landscape or something equally bland) to give the audience something to look at while they get into their seats and wait for the latecomers to finish in the loo. It looks better than just staring at your "ordinary" screen before the presentation starts.

Good luck!

ps: Don't forget, an expert is someone who comes from elsewhere and has their own laptop.
  7. And don't forget the rule of 7's. With text slides no more than 7 lines and 7 words per line, otherwise it can look a bit cramped
  8. All good advice so far, Flamingo beat me to most of the tips I would have put up, here's a few more:

Only use a plain text such as Ariel or Verdona.
    Never expose a list in one go as your audience will read ahead.
    Animated exposure of a list(top down) should always come in from the left for the whole list (seven is a good max number as mentioned above)
    No sound effects, they're crap and make your presentation tacky.
    Fill the screen with any pictures, don't squeeze them in between text.
    Save handouts until the end.
    Know how to advance/ reverse a slide with the keyboard (Pg up/ pg dwn) in case your pointer fails (it will)
    Insert blank slides where you are talking for a while, there's nothing worse than staring at the screen the presenter has already covered.

Colours are a tricky thing and very subjective, recent research suggests that dyslexics find it easier to read dark blue plain text against a pale yellow background. Play with it see how it feels.

Good Luck.
  9. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

To avoid having to use a holding or blank slide, if you are talking for a time between slides, use the B or W keys. B blanks the screen and W produces a white screen.
  10. Likewise, the P and N keys are for previous and next slides when your mouse packs up.
  11. Blue background and yellow text is the best colour scheme, people with all ranges of colour preseption will be able to distinguish the contrast of the colours.

Practice with the equipment you will be presenting on, what looks good on your laptop screen may appear differently on presentation media.

To transit through your presentation, you can left click the mouse, press the return key, press the space bar, press the N key, or use the cursor keys, if you need to go back a slide, press the P key.

Good luck, remember the 7 P's! :twisted:
  12. Never ever use any of the preset sound effects. and if you use someone elses powerpoint show check that they haven't got that bloody laser sound for every single word throughout the entire presentation.

One of my lads got caught out on that one, sound effects and swirly slide changes all over. Mind you it was his own fault for just tipping up and sliding the dvd into the laptop.
  13. the_mentalist has made an extremely good point, and one that is frequently missed. If you are using a projector to display on a conventional screen do be aware that they do not show the same colours as a laptop screen. Some text colour/background colour combinations that look clear and contrasting on the laptop are virtually impossible to read when projected. Do experiment to see what comes out most clearly on your system. I find the "Cliff" template gives good clear contrasting colours that are easy to read when projected. Looks pretty lousy on the laptop though - but that doesn't matter. I tried loads of combinations when I had an interactive whiteboard fitted in my classroom, and ended up sticking with "Cliff" as the kids all agreed it was the easiest for them to read.

The Big Sin? Having text on the slides and then standing there reading it out to the audience. They will be thinking "Shut up you idiot, I can read". Stick to bullet point headings, and give them the explanation and details verbally.

Whatever else you do, leave out the silly effects and sounds. It isn't clever, and takes up a silly amount of memory. Your audience will focus on the effects and miss the points you are trying to focus on.

Best of luck!
  14. I always used to use blue with yellow - I was not aware that there was any "official" advantage to this, just looked best to me!

I eventually worked out that the powerpoint 3 slide to a page handout was pants, esp if not giving it out till the end, as nobody ever wrote on it. 6 slides per page, back to back photocopied. Print them out in black and white unless the colour is vital, it photocopies better than trying to photocopy a colour one. If you want to get really flash and have access to a photocopier that will photocopy two pages onto one (reducing the A4 portrait to 2 A5 landscape) and have a lot of slides, with a bit of playing around if you figure the page order out and the correct number of slides, you can photocopy the whole thing into an A5 "booklet", saves paper, and if it's an ongoing talk (I used to have about 40 slides in a talk that was given to all hospital staff on induction and yearly after that, not to mention in the university - doing it that way saved loads of paper!)