Powerpoint map of UK Counties

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by msr, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a powerpoint slide with individual UK counties on it?

I am not after a slide with a jpg map on it.

msr

2. msr

msr LE

I can't believe it! Have I finally found something which arrse cannot deliver ?

3. I'm almost positive someone will be working away on making this powerpoint for you, just so they have the satisfaction of being able to say they can deliver anything.

4. Can you get on DII?

if so so onto the the map demand web site they have loads of briefing maps in most formats.

If you need the address I will post tomorrow (14/07/09) as I am not in the office today

5. If you think that's hard try finding maps showing district and borough boundaries along with roads, rivers and towns. Nigh on bloody impossible, it's Ordnance Survey at £ :omfg: or nothing....

6. msr

msr LE

That would be interesting. I can get onto DII tomorrow night.

msr

7. msr

msr LE

8. Nice, but wrong . . .

9. How old is that map?
    It still has Berkshire occupying most of what is now South Oxfordshire including Abingdon, Wantage and Faringdon which changed in 1974.

10. msr

msr LE

From the front page of their website:

The Association of British Counties (ABC) is a society dedicated to promoting awareness of the continuing importance of the 86 historic (or traditional) Counties of Great Britain. ABC believes that the Counties are an important part of the culture, geography and heritage of Great Britain. ABC contends that Britain needs a fixed popular geography, one divorced from the ever changing names and areas of local government but, instead, one rooted in history, public understanding and commonly held notions of cultural identity. ABC, therefore, seeks to fully re-establish the use of the Counties as the standard popular geographical reference frame of Britain and to further encourage their use as a basis for social, sporting and cultural activities.

They must be some weird branch of the British Amish

11. can give you a relief map is you should desire, our counties etc

12. I will post the address tomorrow when I get to my office

13. MSR

I won't insult your intelligence by asking if you have searched the Ordnance Survey site, however it is worth a closer look. Had the same requirement a few months ago and obtained a useable outline of the UK divided by county.

Have changed laptops so can't give you the exact link; if you can't find it PM me and I will send what I downloaded.

Yours Aye

YM

14. The link below is to a downloadable Visio map of UK counties, which should do all that you're after and more. (You should have access to Visio on DII in most places, and having created your image can export it to PowerPoint; you may also be able to export the map and edit directly in PowerPoint).

http://bvisual.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3350D61BC93733A9!330.entry?action=post&wa=wsignin1.0

HTH

(The power of the ARRSE has hopefully delivered ...)