Power tool battery charger.

Doesn't matter if it will fit, what matters is if the battery and charger " talk" to each other.

For example Aldi batteries can't be charged except with their charger, Ozito ( sold by Homebase) can.

Awol

LE
I don’t want to spend money on replacement batteries and associated chargers firstly because they probably won’t fit, secondly because the tool itself didn’t cost me anything and is a cheap make anyway, and to spend money on eg a deWalt battery and charger wouldn’t make financial sense, and thirdly, I already have a perfectly good battery on the tool already.

What I am curious about is if I just connect the + and - battery connections to an 18v source, would it damage either the 18v source, or the battery itself (bearing in mind the battery has two extra terminals).

If you jump the battery to another charger it will either charge or won't recognise the battery, providing they are both Li-on 18/20 v. I can't see it will damage either.

Lithium ion batteries need careful balance charging though if you want top performance out of them , they can explode or start burning if to take the piss, that's why the tools and chargers are so complicated now and the top brands have PCB's in them that lock the battery for good if anything goes wong .

What I am curious about is if I just connect the + and - battery connections to an 18v source, would it damage either the 18v source, or the battery itself (bearing in mind the battery has two extra terminals).

Try this, it worked for me on one of my Ryobi 18volts;

It will put a charge in the battery, just mind your voltage and check regularly.
I still have my eyebrows.

Awol

LE
Try this, it worked for me on one of my Ryobi 18volts;

It will put a charge in the battery, just mind your voltage and check regularly.
I still have my eyebrows.

My kind of fix. If something is apparently fit for the bin, you have absolutely nothing to lose in trying to fix it (as long as it’s not using mains voltage or BFO capacitors, obviously).

The clever kind of recycling.

My kind of fix. If something is apparently fit for the bin, you have absolutely nothing to lose in trying to fix it (as long as it’s not using mains voltage or BFO capacitors, obviously).

The clever kind of recycling.
Agreed! If it's already fcked, except to an electrical genius, you might as well have a go. Though caution ought to be applied to all bodges.
(EM does NOT approve of this post)

Awol

LE
In my parents’ shed I found a long obsolete Bosch battery charger, for, I think, an old strimmer.

The odd thing is that it doesn’t have a fixed voltage (eg 18v), but instead has a sticker on it saying it can charge a host of Bosch tools ranging from 6v up to 24v.

If the chosen battery is already depleted (which it will be, as it’s being charged) how does it know which battery has been inserted. And more to the point, how can I get it to give me the 18v I need for my impact drill (connected via crocodile clips etc)?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
In my parents’ shed I found a long obsolete Bosch battery charger, for, I think, an old strimmer.

The odd thing is that it doesn’t have a fixed voltage (eg 18v), but instead has a sticker on it saying it can charge a host of Bosch tools ranging from 6v up to 24v.

If the chosen battery is already depleted (which it will be, as it’s being charged) how does it know which battery has been inserted. And more to the point, how can I get it to give me the 18v I need for my impact drill (connected via crocodile clips etc)?

the battery packs on most cordless drills are split this allows the charger to load them individually and monitor the state of the cells, also many of them have resistors built in so that the charger can identify peak capacity
its not straightforward, I have seen a few chargers damaged and batteries killed this way
you need accurate technical information
as a tradesman, I just buy the correct batteries ( from a Builders merchants or tool company locally) rather than stuff online which often turns out to be pattern crap and knackers your tools
Have a look on facebook selling sites you might pick up the correct charger cheaply, or even another drill battery charger combination
then you can sell what you dont need
when I changed my Makita for the newer 18v one, I bought three drills 6 batteries and a charger, the old 14.4v one was working Ok but the batteries were tired ( I usually buy a new battery each year to keep up with wear)
I sold the old 6 batteries charger and two drills for 40 quid on facebook to a bloke building a camper van, his batteries were perfect as they had little use, but he had dropped and cracked the body of his drill
as he said he could use my drill, then if it showed wear swapped the insides over, plus he got a spare impact driver and some half useful batteries

other option, where did you leave the charger ? why not ring the place up and pay the postage for it

Last edited:

Awol

LE
the battery packs on most cordless drills are split this allows the charger to load them individually and monitor the state of the cells, also many of them have resistors built in so that the charger can identify peak capacity
its not straightforward, I have seen a few chargers damaged and batteries killed this way
you need accurate technical information
as a tradesman, I just buy the correct batteries ( from a Builders merchants or tool company locally) rather than stuff online which often turns out to be pattern crap and knackers your tools
Have a look on facebook selling sites you might pick up the correct charger cheaply, or even another drill battery charger combination
then you can sell what you dont need
when I changed my Makita for the newer 18v one, I bought three drills 6 batteries and a charger, the old 14.4v one was working Ok but the batteries were tired ( I usually buy a new battery each year to keep up with wear)
I sold the old 6 batteries charger and two drills for 40 quid on facebook to a bloke building a camper van, his batteries were perfect as they had little use, but he had dropped and cracked the body of his drill
as he said he could use my drill, then if it showed wear swapped the insides over, plus he got a spare impact driver and some half useful batteries

other option, where did you leave the charger ? why not ring the place up and pay the postage for it
I didn’t leave the charger anywhere actually. I was using the firm’s Luton Transit and when I left, I cleared it out of all my stuff and it was only later that I found the drill at the bottom of a box. The firm used several similar tools so I think they’ll be unwilling to gift me a charger.

Latest Threads