Power tool battery charger.

Awol

LE
Dear DIYers..... A while ago I worked for a few months fixing small machines. A couple of weeks after being made redundant due to our friend Covid, I discovered in amongst some of my tools a Tacklife impact driver, complete with battery, but no charger.

Being a decent sort I notified the company, but as they were based 400 miles it wasn’t worth their while to collect it, so they very nicely told me to keep it.

So far so good (although I don’t actually need it as I have an Erbeaur one), but it would be nice to get it working, but not having a charger poses a problem. I have plenty of 18v chargers, but obviously the fitments are different.

If there were just two connections on the battery I could easily connect to it with jury rigged crocodile clips etc, but, just to confuse me, there are four, - , + and two cheeky ones that I don’t understand on the battery, and only three connections on the drill itself.
E0032699-967D-4AA0-A2D8-D37512F8751A.jpeg
C6570F5A-4EBE-42F9-BB19-E8A76115DBB2.jpeg
0BB72811-7F52-4D00-973D-B68EF80BFCAA.jpeg

My question is, what does the third connection on the drill do (the fourth one on the charger doesn’t connect to anything, so I’m assuming it can be safely ignored).

If I was to connect one of my old 28v chargers (- & +) to the corresponding connections on the battery and ignore the third connection, would it work, or would I irreversibly damage battery or charger?

I have searched the usual places on t’web for a replacement charger, but can only get one if I spend about £70 on a complete new drill.

Give me something mechanical and I’m in my element, give me something electronic and I’m totally lost.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
it may be a sensor for the internal temperature, and some have a tap on the battery to monitor and control the charge between the blocks of cells
el cheapo tool
sell it and use the dosh to add to your kit

endure

GCM
As far as I know, every make of power tool intentionally use a different design to prevent mix and match with other makes.
Aldi have theirs made by someone. If you're lucky that some one may be the same people who make Tacklife tools.

@Awol,
Tacklife state:
  1. How can I find a parts for my Tools?
Please don’t worry about it our parts are standard with the other manufacture. You can consult us before buying. Or you just search the parts in our website or amazon,ebay. You can buy parts easy in the above online store.

EMAIL US
Customer Service: support@tacklifetools.com

As far as I know, every make of power tool intentionally use a different design to prevent mix and match with other makes.
Aldi / Lidl use old designs of good manufactures kit

Edit with a three year guarantee but they usually go over if ask nicely

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Have a bit of a research for battery adaptors.
Obviously they are mostly sold for well known brands, but you may be able to find one to adapt from a tacklife (or similar shaped brand) to Erbauer.

This vid shows the type of thing Im on about.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like a DeWalt battery pack, i'll take some photo's tomorrow

Lidl use old designs of good manufactures kit

I do have a fondness Parkside 240v tools, I have pretty well duplicated my Makita 110volt ensemble.
Locked into Ryobi ONE+ range 18volt now, I have too many.

Awol

LE
Aldi / Lidl use old designs of good manufactures kit

Edit with a three year guarantee but they usually go over if ask nicely
Agreed. Excellent, German made kit. I had a couple of pieces that had enormous battery life and worked flawlessly, but they were SBW*

*Stolen By Wife.

Awol

LE
Trouble is they all look close, but even a difference of 10 thou means they won’t fit.

I’m trying to avoid buying a new battery.... as I understand it Tack Life are quite ‘el cheapo’ anyway, it defeats the object if I have to buy a battery that is worth more than the tool I have. Anyway, I do have one battery with the tool anyway and my primary objective is to find a way to charge that battery using my existing Bosch/Erbauer chargers. If the were just two connections, positive and negative, I could just connect those chargers to the Tack Life battery, but the buggers have added a third connection to befuddle me.

Awol

LE
Have a bit of a research for battery adaptors.
Obviously they are mostly sold for well known brands, but you may be able to find one to adapt from a tacklife (or similar shaped brand) to Erbauer.

This vid shows the type of thing Im on about.

I never even knew those things existed, but interestingly I was planning how to make one myself using cast resin and embedded wire just a couple of months ago.

I’ve searched the web and they don’t cover Tack Life, they are probably too obscure, but thanks for the link, I could well use them in the future.

Awol

LE
@Awol,
Tacklife state:
  1. How can I find a parts for my Tools?
Please don’t worry about it our parts are standard with the other manufacture. You can consult us before buying. Or you just search the parts in our website or amazon,ebay. You can buy parts easy in the above online store.

EMAIL US
Customer Service: support@tacklifetools.com
Thanks. I found their website, but couldn’t find those pages. I’ll enquire as to the price of a charger, although I think it will have to come from the States.

There are two types of tools, the low cost brands have simple PCB's and can be charged with one of these below or the batteries swopped between different brands if you have a 3 D printed adapter, and the high spec brands like Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc the batteries and tools have complex PCB's with balance charging that communicate with each other and won't work in other brands.

Your tool looks like the basic type.

1624581847082.png

Trouble is they all look close, but even a difference of 10 thou means they won’t fit.

Buy it from amazon and see if it works, they have a very good return policy.
Also you get a charger and second battery.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Buy it from amazon and see if it works, they have a very good return policy.
Also you get a charger and second battery.
I was going to suggest the same!

Some DeWalt photos,
IMG_20210625_130653.jpg
IMG_20210625_130901.jpg
IMG_20210625_130832.jpg
IMG_20210625_130730.jpg

IMG_20210625_130708.jpg
IMG_20210625_130700.jpg