Power to the People

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by heard_it_all_before, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only for some one to post a follow on in a few months about how Manchester faces growing problems with congestion. Leading to congestion charges being brought in (by the very people who opposed it). Irony.
  2. Bit like one eyes party promising a referendum on europe and then saying on yer bike.

Anyway, even if it does go full circle, at least the voters have taken action and made the next gooney think twice about biting the hand that feeds him.
  3. I live on a tiny rock in the middle of the sea, so pardon my ignorance, but has congestion charging actually worked in London? Hasn't the cash just gone on bungs holidays and maintenance of illegitimate children to the (mercifully) ex-Mayor?

Surely making safe, affordable and reliable public transport is the only way to decrease congestion - ie making taking the bus an almost positive experience, rather than giving suicidal types better odds than a game of six-chamber Roulette?
  4. Pardon given, no it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. And the millions spent on new bendy busses was also a waste of money as Boris plans on replacing them with a modern version of the double decker Route Masters that they replaced as everyone hates the bendy ones.
  5. Did Boris promise to do away with the congestion charge?
  6. Well done Manchester.
    There is not and never was a 'congestion' problem in Manchester. There is piss poor rail and bus services thanks to de regulation but apart from rush hour traffic there is no problem, and we have the trams. By 0930, I can drive from Bolton into Manchester in less than 20 minutes on a busy day.
    It was always going to be a cash cow, pushed by the miserable left and supported by the retarded green party and followed by a thick electorate. Thankfully, the majority of the councils were against it from the start and could see what it was. This seals the lid ......for now.

They were going to run the charging scam from Manchester right through to Bolton FFS. The only congestion here is the early morning Pie vans on their way to Wigan!

A little snippet from the times link which made me giggle like a school girl:
    Mr Jones, 56, Liabore, who had won seven previous elections, and is leader of the Congestion charging scam said: “It's a devastating blow,” he said. “I have got to get myself a job because I'm unemployed for the first time since I left school.”

Ain't life sweet......