Power Problem?

Help:

3-year old multivision desktop pooter:

1. Turn on. Drive light at front winks erratically - no boot; screen stays dead.
2. Reset switch does nothing.
3. Turn off at back - back on. Symptoms repeat.
4. Turn off for longer - back on. Unlike before - computer is dead. Networking LEDs at back are still working.
5. After 1/2 hour and whilst pondering problem without any button pushing, the drive light at front shudders to life - back to winky blue light but no boot activity at all.

It's just maddeningly unhelpful. Any ideas from the assorted wiggly amp wisdom of Arrse?

when mine did the exact same thang, the hairy-arrsed pooter wizzard informed me the motherboard had gone!! He may have been lying through his arrse, but he took it away and wiggled stuff and now tis splendid!!

The technical description for your problem is: 'It's buggered'.

msr

To be fair, it could be lots of things. Bad MB, HDD farked, power is getting to the board though.

oh and just for fun, at GREAT expense to me, Intel processors don't like AMD motherboards!! So they end up changing both!! :x

msr said:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review18360.html

msr
Retrospect is a fine thing. I was one of the people who read the rave reviews and bought the computer when I was flush with post-telic bucks. To be honest it has served me well but multivision went bust a few months after I got the thing. It's worth sod all now so if the fix is not simple and cheap I'll asset strip it and buy something that does COD4 and FSX and Vista and Office 2007 and Acrobat 8 and Expression Studio and Memory Map and Google Earth all at the same time.

You should be able to pick up a very reasonable box - presuming the keyboard / mouse / monitor are all still functioning OK, for not a lot of spondulicks.

msr

Victorian_Major said:
msr said:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review18360.html

msr
Retrospect is a fine thing. I was one of the people who read the rave reviews and bought the computer when I was flush with post-telic bucks. To be honest it has served me well but multivision went bust a few months after I got the thing. It's worth sod all now so if the fix is not simple and cheap I'll asset strip it and buy something that does COD4 and FSX and Vista and Office 2007 and Acrobat 8 and Expression Studio and Memory Map and Google Earth all at the same time.
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=405175
With
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3326322/Sapphire-Radeon-X1650-Pro-AGP-512MB-Graphics-Card/Product.html

Does me fine!

Victorian_Major said:
Help:

1. Turn on. Drive light at front winks erratically - no boot; screen stays dead.
4. Turn off for longer - back on. Unlike before - computer is dead. Networking LEDs at back are still working.
5. After 1/2 hour and whilst pondering problem without any button pushing, the drive light at front shudders to life - back to winky blue light but no boot activity at all.

It's just maddeningly unhelpful. Any ideas from the assorted wiggly amp wisdom of Arrse?
One further symptom. I haven't been able to unplug it at the mains for a while without it stalling when it boots. What I mean is that if it is unplugged for a while it's like something goes flat inside. I say this because after a couple of hours of being plugged back in it sorts its life out.

I would guess that there is power reaching the important bits - lights and drive.

Were there any beeps?

Can you hear the hard disk spinning up? A different noise (high speed and like a jet engine) to the fans (low speed).

Most motherboards have a set of LEDs on them for Power On Self Test (POST) that will give you a better clue - but this requires open heart surgery, identifying the MB and then googling for POST+MB type. Dell makes them visible at the rear but not all do.

Your longer term symptoms might indicate a CMOS battery failure on the motherboard - which is a couple of quid. But it would boot even if that was flat IMHO.

Don't go delving without asking for further advice - or read previous threads on static and replacing bits!

Litotes

Litotes said:
I would guess that there is power reaching the important bits - lights and drive.

Were there any beeps?

Can you hear the hard disk spinning up? A different noise (high speed and like a jet engine) to the fans (low speed).

Most motherboards have a set of LEDs on them for Power On Self Test (POST) that will give you a better clue - but this requires open heart surgery, identifying the MB and then googling for POST+MB type. Dell makes them visible at the rear but not all do.

Your longer term symptoms might indicate a CMOS battery failure on the motherboard - which is a couple of quid. But it would boot even if that was flat IMHO.

Don't go delving without asking for further advice - or read previous threads on static and replacing bits!

Litotes
No beeps. I'll have to open it up to hear the HD spin up over the fans.

Open heart surgery no problem. I just stand in a tin bucket full of salty water and leave everything plugged in, don't I?

Victorian_Major said:
Litotes said:

Were there any beeps?

Litotes
No beeps. I'll have to open it up to hear the HD spin up over the fans.

Open heart surgery no problem. I just stand in a tin bucket full of salty water and leave everything plugged in, don't I?
Whilst I have no wish to interfere with your perversions (what you do in the privacy of your own home etc), I would avoid the water!

Leave it connected, but switch off at the mains socket. The chassis is then earthed whilst you work inside. Open up. Look for any problems, smell of burning etc. Touch the chassis with your fingers to earth yourself and work methodically around the beast feeling for loose connectors, loose boards, loose memory chips (2 or 4 long thin things about 8-10 cms long). Don't force anything with excess pressure, but you will feel when something pops back in! Clean out any dust/fluff etc.

Switch on at the mains, switch on at the front and listen and watch. The POST lights will be on the motherboard - usually 4 or 5 in a row which will flicker green and red. Then you'll need the name of the motherboard which could be anywhere!

Litotes

No beeps equals dead CPU (processor) or disconnected CMOS speaker.

Long beeps indicate memory (RAM) error

1 long and 2 short beeps means there's a VGA (graphics) problem.

Disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and remove it from the computer case. Plug it into the mains. On the connector which goes to the motherboard, connect the green and any black wire together (use a short piece of wire or a straightened out paper clip with a bit of insulating tape)

This should start a functioning PSU. You'll know if the fan comes on.

This process should discount or confirm the PSU's failure.

Since the CPU fans start, the power supply is probably working. It might not be working properly, but at least it's doing *something*.

The suggestion in previous posts of looking for POST lights is the first step really.

Next I suggest you (first unplug the machine), find and unplug the cables to your hard disk, then reconnect power and try to boot.

If text (i.e. from the motherboard auto diagnostics) appears on your screen, you know it's probably the hard disk that's causing problems (some types of HHD failure can also suppress the boot process). Try finding someone with a PC that's compatible with your HDD and see if it works in his machine. If not, the HDD is dead. If it does, it's probably the motherboard.

If you still see no text at all on the screen, chances are it's the motherboard or the graphics card. Eliminate the possibility that the monitor is acting up by connecting your monitor to a working computer.

If the monitor is ok, it's the best to take your computer to a repair shop unless you feel adventurous and have a lot of spare time.

Victorian_Major said:
Help:

Back to basics !!

1st line says 'Turn on. Drive light at front winks erratically - no boot; screen stays dead'

First ... there must be power to the system "Drive light at front winks erratically "

Second ... drive is spinning and i suspect windows is loading "Drive light at front winks erratically "

Third ... Do you actually see anything on the screen when you power the PC up ? does it go through any boot screen ? "screen stays dead"

If the answer is no it is likely a problem with the graphics or monitor

Is the graphics onboard ?

Edited to add Contrary beat me to it by 1 min :twisted:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Aviation 13
M The Training Wing 4
M Aviation 4