Power Problem?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Victorian_Major, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help:

3-year old multivision desktop pooter:

1. Turn on. Drive light at front winks erratically - no boot; screen stays dead.
    2. Reset switch does nothing.
    3. Turn off at back - back on. Symptoms repeat.
    4. Turn off for longer - back on. Unlike before - computer is dead. Networking LEDs at back are still working.
    5. After 1/2 hour and whilst pondering problem without any button pushing, the drive light at front shudders to life - back to winky blue light but no boot activity at all.

It's just maddeningly unhelpful. Any ideas from the assorted wiggly amp wisdom of Arrse?

2. when mine did the exact same thang, the hairy-arrsed pooter wizzard informed me the motherboard had gone!! He may have been lying through his arrse, but he took it away and wiggled stuff and now tis splendid!!

3. Do you get the sound of the CPU fans starting?

4. msr

msr LE

The technical description for your problem is: 'It's buggered'.

msr

5. Yup

(thanks for asking)

6. msr

msr LE

7. mine did the cpu fan thing too!

8. To be fair, it could be lots of things. Bad MB, HDD farked, power is getting to the board though.

9. oh and just for fun, at GREAT expense to me, Intel processors don't like AMD motherboards!! So they end up changing both!! :x

10. Retrospect is a fine thing. I was one of the people who read the rave reviews and bought the computer when I was flush with post-telic bucks. To be honest it has served me well but multivision went bust a few months after I got the thing. It's worth sod all now so if the fix is not simple and cheap I'll asset strip it and buy something that does COD4 and FSX and Vista and Office 2007 and Acrobat 8 and Expression Studio and Memory Map and Google Earth all at the same time.

11. msr

msr LE

You should be able to pick up a very reasonable box - presuming the keyboard / mouse / monitor are all still functioning OK, for not a lot of spondulicks.

msr

12. http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=405175
    With
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3326322/Sapphire-Radeon-X1650-Pro-AGP-512MB-Graphics-Card/Product.html

Does me fine!

13. One further symptom. I haven't been able to unplug it at the mains for a while without it stalling when it boots. What I mean is that if it is unplugged for a while it's like something goes flat inside. I say this because after a couple of hours of being plugged back in it sorts its life out.

14. I would guess that there is power reaching the important bits - lights and drive.

Were there any beeps?

Can you hear the hard disk spinning up? A different noise (high speed and like a jet engine) to the fans (low speed).

Most motherboards have a set of LEDs on them for Power On Self Test (POST) that will give you a better clue - but this requires open heart surgery, identifying the MB and then googling for POST+MB type. Dell makes them visible at the rear but not all do.

Your longer term symptoms might indicate a CMOS battery failure on the motherboard - which is a couple of quid. But it would boot even if that was flat IMHO.

Don't go delving without asking for further advice - or read previous threads on static and replacing bits!

Litotes

15. No beeps. I'll have to open it up to hear the HD spin up over the fans.

Open heart surgery no problem. I just stand in a tin bucket full of salty water and leave everything plugged in, don't I?