Power Line & wi fi

Thought I'd try the collective arrse brain to solve this one, please.
Have a house with decent walls and the virgin cable connection in 1 corner, fairly remote from some of the rest of the house. A while ago I thought I'd boost the WiFi signal by using Power Line connections. It's never really worked as I hoped, by that I mean 1 seamless connection with a single name throughout the house.
Kitchen has a different name and the phone doesn't connect automatically all the time.
Question is how to fix it?

I have the latest virgin router. Plugged into the wall socket is a TP Link TL PA 4020p cabled to the router. In the kitchen is a TP Link AV500 plugged into the wall (cabled to the heating system). Upstairs is a TP Link TL WPA 4230P plugged in the wall and cabled to the desktop. In another bedroom is another TP Link plugged in the wall and cabled to a laptop.

Assuming the power line adapters transmit their own WiFi ssid- do they give decent coverage alone? I’d be tempted to add them wherever required to do so and disable WiFi on the router

Assuming the power line adapters transmit their own WiFi ssid- do they give decent coverage alone? I’d be tempted to add them wherever required to do so and disable WiFi on the router
Yes they do give WiFi. Not too sure what's happening in the lounge with the router and power line.

I thought the idea of powerline was to simply extended the network by using ring main wiring as a wired network with devices connected to each powerline plug with a cat5e (or later) patch lead. I have never used them.

I use a single wifi extender to reach the furthest extremity of my house - it transmits on both bands using different SSIDs to my router but all of my portable devices are set to recognise all four SSIDs and connect to whichever it sees / strongest signal. It should be noted that wifi extenders will reduce wifi network speed significantly.

For seamless wifi you probably need to look at mesh networking...

JNM

War Hero
I’ve only really used power line to wire things, wouldn’t a signal booster or a mesh network be a better option?

JNM

War Hero
I thought the idea of powerline was to simply extended the network by using ring main wiring as a wired network with devices connected to each powerline plug with a cat5e (or later) patch lead. I have never used them.

I use a single wifi extender to reach the furthest extremity of my house - it transmits on both bands using different SSIDs to my router but all of my portable devices are set to recognise all four SSIDs and connect to whichever it sees / strongest signal. It should be noted that wifi extenders will reduce wifi network speed significantly.

Fμckεr

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've done this before - but I used both the powerline version and the simple WiFi booster / extender.

Powerline lost a -huge- amount of bandwidth from noise.

WiFi booster / extender worked fine and I just set all devices to switch to strongest signal, so the house had three WiFi spots in total.

Check your device settings and guides to ensure switching is set properly.

I've done this before - but I used both the powerline version and the simple WiFi booster / extender.

WiFi booster / extender worked fine and I just set all devices to switch to strongest signal, so the house had three WiFi spots in total.

Hmm... did your computer explode, house burn down or did you simply break the internet?

Agree re power line stuff losing loads of bandwidth to noise. Unless you live in a house with near perfect terminations to every SSO, jointing box, etc. they often struggle.

I’ve got the primary Plusnet router in the study upstairs and one of these

In a cupboard downstairs in repeater mode. Piece of pish to setup, once configured and plugged in, it does a superb job of extending the poor coverage of the cheap and cheerful Plusnet unit.

I’ve used power line before and it was fine for gaming, so don’t think it added to much noise as
others have said.

@Graculus May have used powerline before too.

Would you say it’s better to just use a WiFi extender? I had one of these in my apartment in Belgium and to be honest when I used it as a repeater, it was crap for gaming as my Alienware would hop between that and the main orange orange box causing all sorts of issues.

Thanks for the replies so far. To explain the issue a little further.
I have tried extenders with little success due to distance and thick walls, hence plumping for powerline. I don't have any issues with noise on the powerline, my virgin speed is currently 100Mb and when I run the speed tests that's what I get. I have had a contract giving 200 Mb previously and got that then (this is to the desktop). I thought, from the destructions, that I could get all of the TP line products to use the same name/password but I'm currently defeated.

tgo

Old-Salt
I'm on 100 Mb Virgin & I use these things for powerline

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFBN4MO

I'm losing 20Mb or so through noise. Was very pleased and expected a lot worse.
These things also offer 2 connections on the end as well rather than just one though you can stick a router on the end as well if you need more outlets.

You don't need wi-fi going through there as well as others have said you just divide your wi-fi speed down, so either go power lines (ethernet) or go mesh.

Powerlines will lose signal to noise so you get the highest power one you can get to compensate - like me.

I'm on 100 Mb Virgin & I use these things for powerline

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFBN4MO

I'm losing 20Mb or so through noise. Was very pleased and expected a lot worse.
These things also offer 2 connections on the end as well rather than just one though you can stick a router on the end as well if you need more outlets.

You don't need wi-fi going through there as well as others have said you just divide your wi-fi speed down, so either go power lines (ethernet) or go mesh.
My set up is similar to yours. I have finally grasped the nettle and emailed TP Link for help. I did a search about MESH device, strangely the TP Link comes out top but I'm not minded to spend £170 at the moment.

tgo

Old-Salt
Yes they are expensive, I got lucky and managed to snag a single one on Ebay as well which sufficed me in my house.

I’ve used power line before and it was fine for gaming, so don’t think it added to much noise as
others have said.

@Graculus May have used powerline before too.

Would you say it’s better to just use a WiFi extender? I had one of these in my apartment in Belgium and to be honest when I used it as a repeater, it was crap for gaming as my Alienware would hop between that and the main orange orange box causing all sorts of issues.
Liar.

Just a point on powerline adaptors - they carry the BB on the earth cable - be aware if your house has an
extension with a separate ringmain the earth needs to be continuous if you want to used ethernet in the extension !!
Normally lots of guides on Youtube to setup the various adaptors from different manufacturers.

Mine seems to drop connection every so often, and 99% of the time it's when I'm using a web browser, bizarrely for gaming it's a very rare occurance

Anyone had similar, and got round it beyond the obvious unplug/plug it in again routine?

tgo

Old-Salt
Mine drops connection about once every 6 months, a simple unplug/replug fixes it, no idea why it does it though, but I can live with doing it twice a year.

I'm just glad that the loss is minimal compared to the first gen powerlines where you'd be lucky to get 4 Mb from a claimed 500....

Mine seems to drop connection every so often, and 99% of the time it's when I'm using a web browser, bizarrely for gaming it's a very rare occurance

Anyone had similar, and got round it beyond the obvious unplug/plug it in again routine?
Presume you've done a clean install of NIC/WIFI drivers? Had it a lot with HP machines last place I was at.

Winsock reset?

Changed DNS servers to Google?