powder keg (show of force in middle east)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Well if they want to play in NATO and Israel's backyard they must want to live in interesting times.

The Syrian Army might be a bit busy at the moment though.

I thought the biggest ever war games exercise in the Middle East was GWI, huge thing with great live fire exercises.

BS, no way the Chinese would touch this with a barge pole.

The whole thing is BS and was denied by the Syrian Gov. last week, the source is a single Iranian news agency & a bit of wishful thinking.

The whole thing is BS and was denied by the Syrian Gov. last week, the source is a single Iranian news agency & a bit of wishful thinking.
Think you may be right. I cannot find any other reference to Chinese warships passing through Suez since March.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure Fars News counts as a news agency in any sense we would understand the term. It is a mouthpiece for the Revolutionary Guards whom Reuters describes as semi-official.

I'd be a bit more concerned about the new Egyptian leadership forging closer ties with Iran!

Would this involve the same Russian Aircraft Carrier that broke down when on route to Venezuela to take part in a military exercise and had to be towed. The US and Nato are hardly gonna be shaking in their boots.

Is that not the essence, given political will? Turkey is an Islamist State, Egypt can become one, but topple Syria and seriously feck up the day to day life of top level Iranians and their military and we might be on the final game changer.

Now as long as the Royal Navy front up to the cnuts... bugger, as I get older, I just have to wait longer to get anything done...

B

bokkatankie

Is that not the essence, given political will? Turkey is an Islamist State, Egypt can become one, but topple Syria and seriously feck up the day to day life of top level Iranians and their military and we might be on the final game changer.

Now as long as the Royal Navy front up to the cnuts... bugger, as I get older, I just have to wait longer to get anything done...
Not sure of your drift on this one, The Muslim Brotherhood just might like Iran and agreed just might topple Assad (and Jordan also?), then you have a new and very well equipped Islamic super power in the Middle East who will not like the West.

Look at the kit list:

Equipment of the modern Egyptian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think an RN show of force could end up like the Yangtze incident all over again.

I don't mean to toot my own horn (ooh er missus etc) but I said it last year we'd end up with an arc of instability in North Africa from this Arab spring business.

Morocco is buyinh 200 Abrams tanks from the US in a contract announced last week.

Great, armed to the teeth, possibly religious nutters 3 hours boat ride from our backyard.....it's like Iran moved 1500KMs to the West.