poverty in the states - a brits view

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by growler, Nov 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was moved by a truly terrible account of poverty in the USA in last Saturday’s Telegraph colour supplement. This was reinforced by watching last night’s “The dirty race for the white house”. Millions of dollars on advertising and promotion in a country where millions are living on or below the poverty line, with barely any food and practically no health care. Forget the Blair baiting & be glad you live here, with all it’s faults!

2. saw the show last night as well. excellent stuff, you can always rely on Oborne to tell it straight and be even-handed (BBC take note)

proverty in the states is not new though, and in fact the average income, etc is getting better.

you want to see proverty, head to Pollock or Easterhouse or the Spitalfields in London

stones in glasshouses comes to mind!

3. This subject popped up elsewhere today, and checking up my facts, I discovered that the Save the Children Fund claim that

That's like saying that half of the population in Northern Ireland is "living in poverty or at risk of poverty". Utter b*llocks. If ever there's been a press release mendaciously designed to apply pressure to the donating public, this is it. Everyone in Northern Ireland is entitled to the benefits of the welfare state. If you want to see poverty, go to India, China or Sudan.

According to a Warwick U study,(http://www.nihe.gov.uk/publications/reports/housingagenda2004.pdf, p20) approximately 33% of households in Northern Ireland were in "fuel poverty", compared to an estimate of 9% in England. In other words, a third of the population is unable to adequately heat their homes.

Do I spy an agenda here?

4. when those homes have 42" plasma screens, cars, videos and a cigarette intact of 80/day, then they are not in poverty, just spending our tax money - supplied by benefits in an unhealthy way.

5. Fuel poverty (to my knowledge) is defined as having to spend more than 10% of your income on fuel/electricity to achieve an adequately warm house.

6. While the money spent in political races in the US (not confined to the US either) is grossly high, the writer of that article should do a little more research on poverty in the US, and what is availabe in the forms of aid and healthcare to those affected.

7. poverty is being redefinded...you are now poor if you own a 32" TV but no play station [and the like] DVD player, still drive a 5 year old car, shop at Wal-Mart and smoke generic cigs while feeding your kids low sugar foods.

8. Hmm. Brit vs. US poverty.

Has anyone noticed that in both countries our poor people are fat?

"The poor will always be with you" Now who said that?

9. Most seem to end up on the cardiac wards after a lifetime on fish and chips and Woodbines. Possibly the people who define 'poverty' in these two countries are a different set of knackerbags who define 'poverty' in the far-flung regions of the world: In many parts of Africa the lack of electricity, gas and "Coronation Street' are not bemoaned.