POTUS Obama confronts a choice on copters

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Obama confronts a choice on copters

By Peter Baker
    Published: February 16, 2009

WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama has slammed high-flying executives traveling in cushy jets at a time of economic turmoil. But soon he will have to decide whether to proceed with some of the priciest aircraft in the world — a new fleet of 28 Marine One helicopters that will each cost more than the last Air Force One.

A six-year-old project to build state-of-the-art presidential helicopters has bogged down in a contracting quagmire that will challenge Obama's desire to rein in military contracting expenses. The price tag has nearly doubled, production has fallen years behind schedule and much of the program has been frozen until the new administration figures out what to do about it.

Link:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/16/america/16chopper.php

3. Perhaps if the "experts" from across the pond didn't insist on screwing around with the design and build, they wouldn't be so far behind schedule and costing so much. Something similar happening elsewhere :x

4. What's a POTUS?

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

An American WAH

Have the CIA and other agencies just found their Grassy Knoll?

2 years from now

World in Mourning as 1st Black (it's not a race issue...) President killled in helicopter crash

President Obama was killed today when one of his aging fleet of helicopters crashed :wink:

6. Oh hang on. President of the United States. I get it.

Handy prefix - otherwise I'd have thought it was the Obama who lives opposite.

7. A nice Harry Spankers S92 with some comfy seats, a decent comms suite and a fancy paint job. Why has everything go to be so complicated and mega-expensive? I can understand why the VH3s need replacing, as they're a bit long-in-the-tooth, but what's wrong with the VH60s? They can't be life ex'd already surely?