Pots and pans

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from a recent incident which resulted in my best frying pan becoming u.s. I went to the Aga shop this morning to get a new one.
    £97.99 for a 20cm aluminum non stick!
    I didn't bother.

2. I bought myself a portable induction hob when PAYD came in. To go with it, I bought some pots and pans out of Lidl, they have to be steel to work with induction, and are at exorbitant prices in most places, but the Lidl ones are extremely well priced and surpisingly good quality. Mrs P has laid claim to both the casserole dish and the frying pan, as they are that good.

3. You can get cast iron kit at a relatively good price in SA. Once properly seasoned, there's nothing better. Just takes some preparation and a bit of maintenance.

4. If you like cast iron, theres a make called "Victor" available in ironmongers etc all over the country. They are alreasdy seasoned so non stick. Also quite cheap. For a non stick coating try Lakeland.

5. Just to jump in on this thread and since its about cast iron...has any of you got an old cast iron traditional shape kettle for sale? (the type everyone had before electric)
    I take paying customers fishing and am expected to make tea a-la gyppo style over a wood fire, some **** nicked my kettle last year...they are becoming hard to find and people expect daft money for them, go and rummage through your garages and get back to me.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

whats wrong with a kelly kettle? you can claim to be all eco friendly then with your lean burn technology.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ye can always use yir mess tins if you still have them.

8. Grumblegrunt

go to the tefal shop much cheaper and nicely heavy.

9. I have one mate ...but there's something about a kettle on logs that adds to the day.
    A point of interest ,the guy who named that and who owns the rights...Padraig kelly is a mile up the road, it was originally the volcano.believed to have been stolen from some gyppo device years ago.

10. Believe it or not! I do still have them...**** knows why I keep them? they are stamped 1945 so still pretty modern by british army standards.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Grumblegrunt

the old kit is usually better made and thicker metal.

try ronnie sunshines

12. Grumblegrunt

plenty of surplus alu ones kicking about scout units often get given stuff being thrown away then never used.

13. GSI Halulite Camping Kettle, Cooking Equipment

It's only one litre though so may not be suitable for larger groups.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ooh matron cheers but the handle on that wouldn't go the distance.

15. Good point. Not so much in use perhaps, but packing it up a few hundred times it would get mashed to buggery.