Potomac Field Gear

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by bomb-int, Aug 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Press release: 26/08/11
    Intelligent Armour Limited is now the official UK Distributor for Potomac Field Gear.

Fire resistant + Sweat-wicking + Anti-microbial + Anti-odour + Temperature regulating + Antistatic + UV protecting + Comfortable = Potomac Field Gear

Intelligent Armour CEO Mr Alex Bomberg said today “Potomac Field Gear shows great innovation in product design and in research and development of its products, Intelligent Armour and its clients will welcome this innovation”. “What Potomac brings to the table will totally change what soldiers and close protection operatives wear in the field and will reduce blast and burn injuries.” Going on to say, "let's be honest here, no solider want to be in the position where they have to have melted Under Armour peeled off them!".

While we are still in the stages of placing Potomac products on our website, we have over half the range now live.

We have also produced another great video and posted it on our YouTube Channel:
    Potomac Advanced Combat Shirt by Intelligent Armour - YouTube
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Need to hire a decent spokesperson rather than relying on someone from accounts.

Btw the fire test is pretty fecking ****. If you do catch fire it's not going to be because someone with a speech defect and Bic lighter decides to have a go at you.
  3. You on drugs Schaden?
    I own the company and am no fcuking accountant!
  4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Ok explain the speech defect then!
  5. I have no idea what you are on about on why you are waisting your time talking shite. Either you think that the products from Potomac are good, or you dont.
    If however you think that i am a total knobber, thats different. Our address is clearly marked on our website if you feel like gobbing off in person.
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

If you want my honest opinion - brace yourself.

You are selling or more accurately trying to sell the equivalent of gear that is issued. It is expensive and not a whole lot better than what is on issue. You are in a market crowded with others than are doing it better or cheaper or with a lot more personal customer service. You appear to have very little experience in terms of marketing or actual advertising. I would expect your company - btw "I own the company!" makes you look and sound like a complete throbber with a inferiority complex - will limp along for a few years and finally fold after you've put too much money into it.

If you actually want to flog military type tat there are a few ways to do it - first one is sell stuff that actually kills people, this is not easy to do these days so option two is sell military stuff to Gov's but stick to batteries, boots and boot laces and socks stuff - can be a very nice earner. The third option is to sell stuff on the internets but with a twist - both RV Ops Military Boots, Cheap Mens & Ladies Military Clothing & Equipment - RVOps do this as well as these guys http://www.varusteleka.f do this well - interesting stuff to buy, quirky, interesting vids or pics, self depreciating humour,RV Ops show their out takes of Youtube cockups for example.

Watching some slightly over weight pompous middle aged bloke with no sense of humour doing horrifically amateurish video's isn't going to have the stuff flying off the shelves.

Finally if you are going to post your wares on a army website full of serving and ex serving military bods then you should grow a thicker skin - a certain amount of abuse was expected when you hit that button to post your stuff.
  7. SCHADEL, I am ex-Army and i am thick-skinned; but even so, very happy to defend what i have worked for. I dont mind "abuse", but would respect it far more from those not using the internet to hide behind usernames.
    I'm not going to dribble on here, you obviously have an issue with the way that i am doing things etc...
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I don't have an issue - just giving you an alternative viewpoint - but good luck with your biz going forward.
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

It's an interesting point that our new MTP gear isn't flame proof - what do we do next time we get petrol bombed (think WR comd in Basrah)
  10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

In my day we were issued fire proof (ok resistant) tanker/armour overalls - very natty looking - bit of a bugger when you were caught short and had to do a no.2 of course but still...
  11. Neither was the stuff the WR comd in Basra was wearing - or any of our kit other than tankie suits. FR kit has been trialled to death and the trade off in performance (weight and breathability) aren't worth the extra protection - especially as the protection given by the FR uniform not burning doesn't stop your organs being cooked! In order to get that sort of protection, you need to be wearing whole extra layers of underwear to insulate you. You'd get far more casualties from heatstroke than you would save from burning clothes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I know all that. But think back to NI and the orders not to wear junglies because of the fire risk - at Drumcree we'd wear the older pattern kit so as to have half a chance of not going up like a roman candle if you so much as looked at a petrol bomb. I'm aware that layers are needed for full protection, but you'd think that the component parts of our uniform would be slightly less flammable.
  13. That's because those junglies had a much higher polyester content than the CS95 and PCS kit. It wasn't so much about them going up like a Roman Candle, more about them being all nice and melty. As I said, if you make the stuff more flame proof, you sacrifice breathabilty and comfort and increase the risk of heat illness.
  14. Sounds like some confusion between the various terms associated with 'fire proof'.

It is possible to make uniforms from fabric which have a certain degree of flame resistance (i.e. will not catch fire, even when a sustained flame source is held near it), but as GS says, you pay a penalty in terms of fabric weight and breathability.

On the other hand, it is eminently sensible to make sure that if you kit is exposed to a flame hazard, then it should not melt and drip onto the skin below (which is exactly why the US banned Under Armor clothing in theatre), as this makes the surgical intervention so much harder.

I would appear that our kit is being made with the latter in mind, which is IMHO, a good compromise.
  15. schaden to be fair I'd rather have my dick cut off and feed to me than shop at RVops the robbing bastards.