Pothumas awards

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

G.C. isn't just a military award so I assume the criteria is different ?
  2. Maybe they can give any medal posthumously now, I've read in the article that Lt.Col Rupert Thornloe is to recieve an award, which must be an MBE or OBE since I can't really imagine it being for gallantry as he was killed along with his driver when his vehicle hit an IED on a routine CLP to a FOB.

That's not meant in any way to be disrespectful.
  3. I heard that the Labour government is to issue LS & GC medals posthumously in future, in effort to defer costs.
  4. Gold :D
  5. One of the blokes announced yesterday is still alive.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I understood Orders could not be awarded posthumously, i.e. you can't be made a member of something if you are dead.

I found this on wiki
  7. He received a Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service. He already had an MBE.

As pointed out Knighthoods, DSOs, and other Orders cannot be awarded posthumously. During WW1 (not WWII) the only awards that could be given posthumously were the VC and MID.
  8. Quite right - orders can't be posthumous so no DSOs, any class of Order of the British Empire (MBE, OBE, CBE, etc), any class of Order of the Bath (the one traditionally given to military members).

Any medal or cross (or "laurels") can be posthumous.
  9. The first posthumous Military Cross was that awarded to Captain Herbert Richard Westmacott (Grenadier Guards) for gallantry in Northern Ireland

The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross may be awarded posthumously, Sergeant Jonathan Stuart Hollingsworth CGC, QGM (Para/SAS) being the only recipient

The Distinguished Service Cross may be awarded posthumously
  10. I must confess I'd never heard of this award before, it sounds exactly like an MiD on reading Wikipedia, what's the difference between this and an MiD?
  11. The MiD and Queen's Commendation for Bravery are equal, just like VC & GC. I think the QCVS is a is a British military award that recognises meritorious service during, or in support of, operations - a sort of admin award
  12. I had always assumed you could be awarded the MiD for non-combat or contribution to Ops but in that case you just didn't wear the laurel on your OSM.
  13. The QCVS is "one down" from an MBE:

The Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service recognises meritorious service during, or in support of, operations.

The MID and QCB are "one down" from an MC/QGM:

The Mention in Despatches is the oldest form of recognition of gallantry within the UK Armed Forces. Since 1993, the Mention in Despatches has been reserved for gallantry during active operations. The Queen's Commendation for Bravery and Queen's Commendation for Bravery in the Air are similarly awarded to mark specific acts of gallantry.