Potential

Swinger
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the policy in the army where if you have less time left to serve than someone else then you have less potential and are unable to score higher in a grading board than someone with more time to serve ...e.g someone with 21 years service completed and only 3 years left to serve has less potential than someone with 10 years left....... can any one help with confirming this disprove this or even point me in the direction of someone or something that could help

Many thanks in advance

Nato123

Old-Salt
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the policy in the army where if you have less time left to serve than someone else then you have less potential and are unable to score higher in a grading board than someone with more time to serve ...e.g someone with 21 years service completed and only 3 years left to serve has less potential than someone with 10 years left....... can any one help with confirming this disprove this or even point me in the direction of someone or something that could help

Many thanks in advance

Too late to worry about your pension now mucka, should have climbed the greasy pole to boost your pension 7 years ago ;-)

BTW, what you wrote about potential makes sense to the mob doesn't it , as in the theory that 4 years from now they still have the other board for 6 more years, but Bod A will be gone .

Swinger
It is actually not about the pension which I know some would find strange....... that same person who has potentially 10 more years left could just as easily sign off and be gone in 12 months and with the introduction of project castle in April of 2020 those 3 years would be increased to potentially 15 years

Nato123

Old-Salt
I didn't find it strange, that's why I sussed what you were asking about....hence the word ' potential' and not definete.

and with the introduction of project castle in April of 2020 those 3 years would be increased to potentially 15 years
...unless he also signs off and is gone within 12 months.

On the other hand, the person with 10 years left has the potential to promote twice.

Swinger
True, but is there actually a policy that states that he has to score higher just because of time left to serve over time served and loyalty..... or are the values and standards of the army only held up when it suits ?

Nato123

Old-Salt
True, but is there actually a policy that states that he has to score higher just because of time left to serve over time served and loyalty..... or are the values and standards of the army only held up when it suits ?
You have to ask?

Swinger
Oh god no, I know that years ago .....guess I though that hard work and loyalty would be rewarded ......silly me

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Potential is just that, regardless of time served or time left to serve. Of course, it is also a subjective opinion.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Oh god no, I know that years ago .....guess I though that hard work and loyalty would be rewarded ......silly me
The way grading and promotion tends to work in units is like so:

Say they have 12 Sergeants - most are performing as expected.

They have to divvie up a top / middle / bottom.

What usually happens is that anyone who cannot be promoted (new in rank, last year of Service etc) will naturally gravitate to the bottom, anyone who's in the bracket for promotion and has demonstrated as such gravitates towards the top.

Your stars go straight to the top, your bellends to the bottom. The grey men are then separated out based on years in rank, potential etc.

It's an unwritten rule, but it works because people apply common sense.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
When it goes to the board, they plot everyone on a chart, and they look at how many slots are open for the next higher rank, then move the quality line accordingly...

This is why you should worry too much about "potential" - bottom line is, if you keep your nose clean and score average, your seniority should ensure you pick up in due course:

Board.jpg

Swinger
When it goes to the board, they plot everyone on a chart, and they look at how many slots are open for the next higher rank, then move the quality line accordingly...

This is why you should worry too much about "potential" - bottom line is, if you keep your nose clean and score average, your seniority should ensure you pick up in due course:

View attachment 433591
Thanks....dont feel it'll manage to in this place but the hole in my arse could heal up yet

Nato123

Old-Salt

View attachment 433591

Unless you keep gobbing off and get posted to here there and every feck where - return for a few months or tours , just enough to outshine the mediocre knobbers who have moved up the greasy pole in your absence. ...then are offered/ conned into another posting , but hey, blame the game not the player .

Latest Threads