Potential ulcerative colitis on medical records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, if you don't know what ulcerative colitis is, it is a type of inflammatory bowel disease where your large intestine becomes inflamed. after i had the symptoms and the doctor did tests and asked questions he said he suspects I have ulcerative colitis and referred me for a colonoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. I know the army doesn't allow ulcerative colitis, but since then my symptoms went away and I am planning on joining soon. Will the army turn me down because the doctor suspected I have ulcerative colitis? Or will they not care because it is only suspected? OR will they demand I do a colonoscopy or something like that? I'm worried this could affect my chances of getting in.

I think they would be right to be very concerned if it turns out you do have it. I've been going through a load of tests this year due to some very severe abdominal pain and other symptoms. IBD was only ruled out by going through a full Colonoscopy and having biopsies taken for testing. I still don't know what is wrong inside me, I've still got investigations ongoing! Yes; the prospect of such tests can be daunting and scary and a tad embarassing but IBD can be very dangerous so you owe it to yourself as much as to any potential employer to know the lie of the land. Oh, and the colonoscopy and removal of biopsy samples is not anywhere near as painful or uncomfortable as you probably imagine.

No but I am thinking of going to Spain, my homeland to get it done so it won't go on english medical records so the army won't know. However, will they still refuse me because ti says 'suspected'

ALso what symptoms do you have? I have had diarrhea with blood, mucus, some pain, a lot of frequency. Even eyes are irritated sometimes, and sometimes I feel pain in my joints and had a skin lesion once. And once I felt nausea and lost my appetite. and my stomach burns sometimes when drinking acidic stuff. pretty much ulcerative colitis. what else could it be. the doctor was right. he just didnt diagnose it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
No but I am thinking of going to Spain, my homeland to get it done so it won't go on english medical records so the army won't know. However, will they still refuse me because ti says 'suspected'
You've been referred for a colonoscopy, have the test it may prove you don't have it. Do not lie, it's on your records anyway. If you think it's a good plan to go to Spain then you've got on your records a condition that hasn't been investigated.

No, I can just tell the doctor my symptoms went away and cancel the appointment. Surely the army can't turn me down for having 'suspected' ulcerative colitis on the record.

No, I can just tell the doctor my symptoms went away and cancel the appointment. Surely the army can't turn me down for having 'suspected' ulcerative colitis on the record.
yes they could. They'd then expect you to prove it was gone by getting a camera crew rammed up your arse for a second time so the first one would be pointless (unless you like that sort of thing, and who are we to judge?)

The army also has no right to demand I have a colonoscopy. If they ask about it, I will simply say the symptoms went away. And then what will they say? 'Sorry but the risk is there so you can't join?' The army has no right making presumptions about what diseases people have, without having an official diagnosis. Do you know how many people have been suspected of having a disease but not been diagnosed? And anyway, I doubt the recruiters would care. The recruiters do whatever it takes to get you in. The medical requirements are there for new recruits because they are a potential liabilities but if it is not an official diagnosis then they won't care. For example celiac disease is banned. But 90% of people with celiac disease don't know they have it. so if 10 celiacs tried to join only one would get turned down.

The army also has no right to demand I have a colonoscopy. If they ask about it, I will simply say the symptoms went away. And then what will they say? 'Sorry but the risk is there so you can't join?' The army has no right making presumptions about what diseases people have, without having an official diagnosis. Do you know how many people have been suspected of having a disease but not been diagnosed? And anyway, I doubt the recruiters would care. The recruiters do whatever it takes to get you in. The medical requirements are there for new recruits because they are a potential liabilities but if it is not an official diagnosis then they won't care. For example celiac disease is banned. But 90% of people with celiac disease don't know they have it. so if 10 celiacs tried to join only one would get turned down.
then they can refuse you entry if you won't prove you are free of illness from the information already on file. it's for your health and wellbeing as well as the Army as a whole.

You've made your mind up and are refusing to listen to advice, off you go, do your own thing. You now appear to know more about the process than anyone else, enjoy.

theoriginalphantom, they absolutely can not. And especially not if I had a colonoscopy already and the test came out normal. If I had a colonoscopy and the doctor said I do not have ulcerative colitis, the army has no right to demand I take another test in case the doctor was wrong.

theoriginalphantom, they absolutely can not. And especially not if I had a colonoscopy already and the test came out normal. If I had a colonoscopy and the doctor said I do not have ulcerative colitis, the army has no right to demand I take another test in case the doctor was wrong.
make your mind up, it's either on your records that you are free of the condition or not. Now you've had a colonoscopy that shows you free of it?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You'll go far lad I'm sure, not as far as that camera up your hoop though.

I was also tested for Bipolar as a kid. One doctor said I had it, the other didn't. You're saying they have a right to make me go through a whole psychiatry process? There are laws regulating who they can turn down. Yes they are exempt from the disability discrimination act, but if you don't have a diagnosis they can't turn you down for that.

You'll go far lad I'm sure, not as far as that camera up your hoop though.
The one he's going to have in Spain, UK or the one he's already had, but hasn't already had? It's Schrodingers camera.

Nope, you told me that if I had a colonoscopy, the army would have the right to demand I have another to check again. Or do you not remember what you said?

Nope, you told me that if I had a colonoscopy, the army would have the right to demand I have another to check again. Or do you not remember what you said?
you were talking about having one abroad to hide your condition and just say 'it's gone away'

now stop being silly, you'll be back at school on Monday and probably have homework to do before then

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I was also tested for Bipolar as a kid. One doctor said I had it, the other didn't. You're saying they have a right to make me go through a whole psychiatry process? There are laws regulating who they can turn down. Yes they are exempt from the disability discrimination act, but if you don't have a diagnosis they can't turn you down for that.
One of them was right.

I know I did, but you told me I would need to get a second one. Then I said that would not be the case. And then you said I had to make up my mind as to whether or not I already had one or not. Yes, I will go to spain to get the colonoscopy IF the symptoms return. I will get prescription drugs from there so it won't go on my records.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I know I did, but you told me I would need to get a second one. Then I said that would not be the case. And then you said I had to make up my mind as to whether or not I already had one or not. Yes, I will go to spain to get the colonoscopy IF the symptoms return. I will get prescription drugs from there so it won't go on my records.
You should consider what you have typed and whether you really think you are suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.