Potential Police Walt?

Discussion in 'Waltenkommando' started by Closet_Jibber, Aug 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's almost reverse walting. He's entitled to wear his PSNI uniform, but instead he chooses to dress like a traffic warden.

Never mind. The ACPO is a scary organisation in its current form. A few more incidents like this and Cameron might spot a PR opportunity in pulling the plug!

2. I think it demonstrates a remarkable degree of inventiveness for a senior plod....... no, wait..... the ability to invent stuff might be a useful trait for senior police officers; but you are right, with an imagination like that your man is on course to be considered for an MiTi commendation at least.

That said, is he not just the sort of chap needed on the Colditz escape committee?

3. just seems very odd for someone retired honourably from a police service to wear a uniform for a job with a corporation, even if the corporation is funded by government grants.

4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It's already had the plug partially pulled.

Clean-up of covert policing ordered after Mark Kennedy revelations | UK news | The Guardian

According to Companies House, there are two 'ACPO's.

Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (set up in October 2006)
    Association of Chief Police Officers of England, Wales and Northern Ireland (Set up in April 2007)

The companies seem to have a slightly unusual set up.

ACPO.jpg

I've not seen that "Private, Limited by guarantee, no share capital, use of 'Limited' exemption" before. If time permits, I'll have a look at their accounts, etc, a bit later today.

It's always seemed odd to me that a private company has operational control over some aspects of policing...

Wordsmith

5. Given he has chucked his cap (with the rather odd plastic badge on it) into the ring for the job of Met Commisioner this is nothing more than his enemies trying to smear him!!

Is there a story here? Clearly Orde sees the uniform as a badge of respect for his office (which it is) and to assert his authority chooses to continue to wear it. Maybe his true allegiances lie with the RUC and he cannot bring himself to wear the uniform of the PSNI?

6. It just means they have 'members' who guarantee to pay an agreed amount if the company goes under, rather than shareholders. That, along with the limited exemption, is very common for charities.

Apparently there's ongoing discussion about the form the ACPO should take. I don't consider myself knowledgable enough to offer an opinion except that, like you, I worry about a commercial, profit-making private company running things like the Police National Computer and effectively controlling the Police in this country.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Hatchet job by Cameron and Co. after failing to muster enough voluntary applications for the Met Commissioner post. His criticisms of senior Cabinet members have been vocal and often recently, and why else would anyone feel it necessary to write about his Star Trek uniform now other than to destroy his credibility?

8. ACPO, which is a private company funded with £10 million of taxpayers’ money.

Think I'll set up my own private company and ask for the same level of funding

9. Does that make it a Q(U)ANGO? If so will it feature in the forthcoming government cuts?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nobody needed anything to destroy his credibility, he's done a pretty good job himself. ACPO needs to be dismantled, and then be fully and totally investigated. It is exempt from FOI requests until October 2011, when I guess the press will start to have a field day.

ACPO - Association of Crap Police Officers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I understand that under the Police Reform Act, the head of ACPO holds the rank of Chief Constable, even if he is between jobs.

But yes, Orde gives the impression that even his pyjamas have Chief Constables' regalia attached. If he gets the Met job, I expect to see him carrying a policified Field Marshal's baton.

12. I would have thought if he is retired, from his force, then the most he is entitled to wear would be his old uniform with suitable modifications to show he is not active.

If he has stepped down from his last force, does he still carry a warrant card? If not could he be done for impersonating a police officer?

The ACPO makes the Freemasons look like the local dominoes school,

'Profitmakingsecretekeepingoverchargingeverblagging

ACPO.'

Thank you Coca cola.

13. He's still wearing a uniform that he made up himself...