Potential Police Walt?

It's almost reverse walting. He's entitled to wear his PSNI uniform, but instead he chooses to dress like a traffic warden.

Never mind. The ACPO is a scary organisation in its current form. A few more incidents like this and Cameron might spot a PR opportunity in pulling the plug!

I think it demonstrates a remarkable degree of inventiveness for a senior plod....... no, wait..... the ability to invent stuff might be a useful trait for senior police officers; but you are right, with an imagination like that your man is on course to be considered for an MiTi commendation at least.

That said, is he not just the sort of chap needed on the Colditz escape committee?

just seems very odd for someone retired honourably from a police service to wear a uniform for a job with a corporation, even if the corporation is funded by government grants.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The ACPO is a scary organisation in its current form. A few more incidents like this and Cameron might spot a PR opportunity in pulling the plug!
It's already had the plug partially pulled.

Clean-up of covert policing ordered after Mark Kennedy revelations | UK news | The Guardian

Home Office minister Nick Herbert says Acpo will lose control of three teams involved in tackling 'domestic extremism'.

The government said today that a private company run by police chiefs should be stripped of its power to run undercover spies in the wake of a Guardian investigation into the police officer Mark Kennedy, who spent seven years posing as an environmental activist. The Home Office minister Nick Herbert and senior police officers acknowledged for the first time that "something had gone very wrong" in the Kennedy case, which led to the collapse last week of the trial of six people accused of planning to invade a Nottinghamshire power station.

Herbert said that the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), a limited company with responsibility for some sensitive national operations, is to lose control of three teams involved in tackling so-called "domestic extremism". Ministers and senior officers hope the decision may defuse the controversy surrounding revelations of long-term undercover surveillance of peaceful protest groups.

Later in the day the national policing watchdog announced the launch of an official inquiry into undercover police work carried out by Acpo. The review by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) will investigate Acpo's decade-long infiltration of the protest movement, assessing whether operations have been "authorised in accordance with law" and "proportionate".
According to Companies House, there are two 'ACPO's.

Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (set up in October 2006)
Association of Chief Police Officers of England, Wales and Northern Ireland (Set up in April 2007)

The companies seem to have a slightly unusual set up.

ACPO.jpg

I've not seen that "Private, Limited by guarantee, no share capital, use of 'Limited' exemption" before. If time permits, I'll have a look at their accounts, etc, a bit later today.

It's always seemed odd to me that a private company has operational control over some aspects of policing...

Wordsmith

Given he has chucked his cap (with the rather odd plastic badge on it) into the ring for the job of Met Commisioner this is nothing more than his enemies trying to smear him!!

Is there a story here? Clearly Orde sees the uniform as a badge of respect for his office (which it is) and to assert his authority chooses to continue to wear it. Maybe his true allegiances lie with the RUC and he cannot bring himself to wear the uniform of the PSNI?

I've not seen that "Private, Limited by guarantee, no share capital, use of 'Limited' exemption" before. If time permits, I'll have a look at their accounts, etc, a bit later today.

Wordsmith
It just means they have 'members' who guarantee to pay an agreed amount if the company goes under, rather than shareholders. That, along with the limited exemption, is very common for charities.

Apparently there's ongoing discussion about the form the ACPO should take. I don't consider myself knowledgable enough to offer an opinion except that, like you, I worry about a commercial, profit-making private company running things like the Police National Computer and effectively controlling the Police in this country.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Hatchet job by Cameron and Co. after failing to muster enough voluntary applications for the Met Commissioner post. His criticisms of senior Cabinet members have been vocal and often recently, and why else would anyone feel it necessary to write about his Star Trek uniform now other than to destroy his credibility?

E

EScotia

ACPO, which is a private company funded with £10 million of taxpayers’ money.

Think I'll set up my own private company and ask for the same level of funding

ACPO, which is a private company funded with £10 million of taxpayers’ money.

Think I'll set up my own private company and ask for the same level of funding
Does that make it a Q(U)ANGO? If so will it feature in the forthcoming government cuts?

Hatchet job by Cameron and Co. after failing to muster enough voluntary applications for the Met Commissioner post. His criticisms of senior Cabinet members have been vocal and often recently, and why else would anyone feel it necessary to write about his Star Trek uniform now other than to destroy his credibility?
Nobody needed anything to destroy his credibility, he's done a pretty good job himself. ACPO needs to be dismantled, and then be fully and totally investigated. It is exempt from FOI requests until October 2011, when I guess the press will start to have a field day.

ACPO - Association of Crap Police Officers.

I understand that under the Police Reform Act, the head of ACPO holds the rank of Chief Constable, even if he is between jobs.

But yes, Orde gives the impression that even his pyjamas have Chief Constables' regalia attached. If he gets the Met job, I expect to see him carrying a policified Field Marshal's baton.

I would have thought if he is retired, from his force, then the most he is entitled to wear would be his old uniform with suitable modifications to show he is not active.

If he has stepped down from his last force, does he still carry a warrant card? If not could he be done for impersonating a police officer?

The ACPO makes the Freemasons look like the local dominoes school,

'Profitmakingsecretekeepingoverchargingeverblagging

ACPO.'

Thank you Coca cola.

Does that make it a Q(U)ANGO? If so will it feature in the forthcoming government cuts?
this is the issue ACPO isn't a QUANGO although arguably it should be rather than a company or a charity

however the existence of limited Companies is often used to smear organisations - it's used to smear charities on a regular basis along with the fact that Charities once above a certain size really do need to have appropriately paid staff to support service delivery even if managerial responsibility and service delivery is wholly or mainly by volunteers.

He's still wearing a uniform that he made up himself...
Just a thought, but if he is in charge then isn't he entitled to make one up?

ACPO also set up ACRO , which is the ACPO Records Office. This is the part of ACPO that now charges £70 odd for a CRB check/visa certificate or whatever else they flog.

It is based in Hampshire and partly run by Hampshire Constabulary which charges ACRO. The head is none other than retired DCC Ian Reidhead of Hampshire Constabulary who retired and walked into a £55k year job as head of ACRO the next day.

Nice work if you can get it!

Well there's a thing, a police thread that has not yet been defaced by Western, but I am sure his spidey sense is tingling and he will be here before long.

So just to pre-empt him and bearing in mind that this is not the Naafi I shall just tell him to go away and don’t bother responding to me as he is on my ignore list.

Probably, but that still doesn't make it any less gay.

The uniform he would be entitled to wear would be more gay, since I don't really think it's on to wear the crown on a made up badge that HM hasn't approved. Also, I heard a while back that police were cracking down on private security firms that wore blue and white chequers to look more police-y.

In other words, if he wants to make up a uniform for himself, he should really be attired like PCSOs, ie gay pastel colours, a notionary plastic badge and possibly a hi-vis.

Alternatively, he could just accept he's a civvie and wear a lounge suit with a sober tie, or if he wants to be official, the real uniform he's entitled to wear from the PSNI.

Made up uniforms are wank.