Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Potential Officer

I’m just about to enter my last year of sixth form. I intend to go to Bristol or St Andrews for university. I’d like to join a Challenger 2 or Scimitar (soon to be Ajax) equipped regiment (HCR, RDG or RL for Ajax and KRH, QRH or RTR for Challenger 2) but preferably HCR. Is now too soon to start writing to Adjutants and going on regimental visits? I also wondered what likelihood I have of getting in to one of the above competitive cavalry regiment? I go to a standard independent day school and come from a military family, but all my family members have chosen to join the infantry, namely the Gurkhas. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just about to enter my last year of sixth form. I intend to go to Bristol or St Andrews for university. I’d like to join a Challenger 2 or Scimitar (soon to be Ajax) equipped regiment (HCR, RDG or RL for Ajax and KRH, QRH or RTR for Challenger 2) but preferably HCR. Is now too soon to start writing to Adjutants and going on regimental visits? I also wondered what likelihood I have of getting in to one of the above competitive cavalry regiment? I go to a standard independent day school and come from a military family, but all my family members have chosen to join the infantry, namely the Gurkhas. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

It is never too soon, I started the rounds at 16. I am assuming you will be joining your Uni UOTC, as I recall Bristol used to have a good one.

Thanks all.

It is never too soon, I started the rounds at 16. I am assuming you will be joining your Uni UOTC, as I recall Bristol used to have a good one.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I will join the UOTC. Can’t wait! What did you write on your letters to the Adjutants, just out if interest?

Thanks for the reply, and yes I will join the UOTC. Can’t wait! What did you write on your letters to the Adjutants, just out if interest?

Long time ago, my local recruitment office, careers office at school and my old man arranged my sessions for me as I was effectively considered a minor. I did not join after going through the looky, looky, I actually went off and became a copper for a few years then I joined in my early 20's as a soldier as what I wanted to do was more or less soldiers only with minimal officer involvement.

Best advice do not dribble on in your letters, one page, no CV as you are not applying for a job you simply want to have a look to help you decide. Some Regt's do potential officer sessions for a couple of days where they look at you and you wander around being impressed by all things army and getting buggered about in the gym.

Get as much info as you can, speak to the recruitment office, contact the UOTC's and try to visit them on a drill night, or weekend, and write to regt's asking if they have potential officer candidate sessions coming up.

Good luck.

Long time ago, my local recruitment office, careers office at school and my old man arranged my sessions for me as I was effectively considered a minor. I did not join after going through the looky, looky, I actually went off and became a copper for a few years then I joined in my early 20's as a soldier as what I wanted to do was more or less soldiers only with minimal officer involvement.

Best advice do not dribble on in your letters, one page, no CV as you are not applying for a job you simply want to have a look to help you decide. Some Regt's do potential officer sessions for a couple of days where they look at you and you wander around being impressed by all things army and getting buggered about in the gym.

Get as much info as you can, speak to the recruitment office, contact the UOTC's and try to visit them on a drill night, or weekend, and write to regt's asking if they have potential officer candidate sessions coming up.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot!