Potential Officer Insight Day 21st june

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Loopyloodles, Jun 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hay guys, I hope I've written on the right thing, kinda new to this!
    Well basically I have been accepted to go to a POID on the 21st June in Nottingham, so next week! I was wondering if anyone could give me any hints or tips on how to be fully prepared for it and what it generally entails. I know I have to obviously focus on fitness and the wall jump etc. but how should I be even more prepared for the discussion forum, interview and the other activities? I've been reading newspapers and watching a lot of news to find out about current affairs and what not and was wondering if there were another methods, hints and tips you can give me?

Louise :)
  2. Well that's an epic fail then.
  3. HHH

HHH LE

I know you think it's important but I don't think it's up there with all the other major world affairs that normally get posted in the CA forum!
  4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

You have shown some initiative by asking questions here. That is a positive.

Some idea of leadership would be useful. There are some very pertinent books about this subject (try 7 Pillars of Wisdom and its re-write by Steven Covey) which would give you some direction. Its not all about current affairs.
  5. My bad, I just clicked on 'post new thread' and it put me on the current affairs, at least I know now, cheers :)

Thank you! Yeah on my course I have taken part in a lot of team building exercises and have had to research a tonne of leadership skills and tests. This has helped me a great deal but I will definitely have a look at the books, I can imagine they'll be a lot of help. I just heard from a TA officer I spoke to that it would be about current affairs but I guess that's just a small part of it. Thanks again.
  6. Don't be such a killjoy. The collapse of the Euro; Genocide in Syria or what colour knickers Louise will wear to her PO Insight Day? As far as I'm concerned they are all equitable topics of discussion although, to be honest, I'm not sure that all 3 will come up as a subject if she makes it as far as AOSB.

Edited to add that not only does she read newspapers (always a good start) but she also does leadership in metric volumes; the girl is destined for greatness.
  7. Louise - Unless you post a picture of yourself,you will not proceed any further with the selection process.
  8. I can imagine they'll be a lot of help. I just heard from a TA officer I spoke to that it would be about current affairs but I guess that's just a small part of it. Thanks again.[​IMG]
  9. They might well introduce you to the remaining soldier(s) that the UK defence force have on contract via a conference call to the off shore company in Bangalore.
  10. Long time reader, first time poster.....
    Louise I'm going on this day too and was thinking along the same lines as you! What kinds of things have you been doing to prepare? I've been doing the same with regards to current affairs ect. but not sure what else to expect!!
  11. Is the like the old fam visits? If so take a new liver and kidney as all you will be doing is drinking from 8pm till 6am.

However you might get to play with a few bits of kit and have a lecture or two.
  12. PS Loopy didn't say which unit she is off to see, bar Chilwell what else is in Nottingham?
  13. Hey Louise,

Firstly there are some steep hills
    So don't wear stupidly high heels, there is a lot of walking involved and you will only look like an idiot when you break your ankle walking to the sports hall.

I assume (possibly wrongly) that you have received a breakdown of the day, so that's a good start.

When you have to do your icebreaker don't panic, enjoy it and make your audience feel at ease. As far as prep work, have a 2/3 minute bit about yourself and your family so you don't sound like a moron.

Push yourself with fitness, if you've not been sick then you can go harder. :)

For the CA discussion have a few topics ready that you know about as you will be asked to contribute one for the group to debate.

Don't be afraid to play devils advocate.

Most of all have fun, don't go crazy worrying about it, if your driving up have your car reg and tank size (eg 1.4) as you need it to claim petrol.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Int_midget :)
  14. That is the same with me!
    Ooooh well I shall be seeing you tomorrow! Even though I know we're not getting graded, i'm still bricking myself about it haha!
    Basically I've just been reading a tonne of newspapers, looking up news on the internet (this websites pretty good for that type of thing actually) and my fitness. My tutor did the TA version of this and said that it isn't as bad as what it seems and should be alright. When i spoke to the woman running the POID (as i spoke to her on a services careers day) she just said to keep reading papers, be confident, and step up the mark! :)
  15. Hay Intelligent_Midget,

Thank you for the tips! I wasn't planning on wearing heels so that's no worries, and for the fact i'm not exactly the best walker in them!
    Yeah we have done, it's quite helpful in enabling us to know what's going on but it isn't the best :)
    We can claim petrol? Oooo I didn't know that, that's alright then hehe :)
    Yeah ive got a few tips from my tutor on the discussions so that should be alright, its just getting the extra confidence to speak out above everyone else, although to be honest i can imagine all of us will be helping each other along (well i hope anyway!)

It certainly has! Thank you again :D