Potential Officer Help..

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by smell-the-glove, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of questions i'd like to put across that hopefully somebody could do their best to answer..

Firstly, i've been mulling over the idea of joining the army as an officer for a few years now. I've started a degree in music, got the first year out the way and then took a gap year this year to "gather some money together" (well, thats what i told the mother but in reality, my heart just wasn't in it) I wanted to change to history when i'm supposed to return in september. This isn't now possible unfortunately unless i start over again. Mis-lead again by uni admin. Another 3 years at university isn't really that feasable so now im up sh*t creek unless i make some decisions sharpish. So i'd love to have the following answered before i make my mind up !

1. Will chances of becoming an officer be hampered because i don't have a degree? I have A-Levels and am aware you don't actually need a degree but as something like 80% of officers have one i was wondering how this would look/compare.

2. What sort of tests would i come to expect should i be allowed to try my luck? Math, written, physical etc.
    I honestly believe that im more than capable of becoming an officer but i'm afraid my math skills left me the moment i walked out the GCSE exam room! :D

3. What are the rectuitment periods? Is there one winter selection and one summer? I'd much rather fancy my chances in the winter than the summer but as its the end of august, would i have to wait 'till summer?
  2. Trust me mate, before you get a right sledging on here:

1) Go to the Army careers website and read every page.

2) Contact the Universities Army Officer Careers Recruitment relative to your univeristy.

3) You dont know if you would make a good officer Westbury does.

4) There are plenty of guys in the ranks who have 'A'-Levels, Degree and even higher - academics is not all it takes.

So before you go to boards like this show some initiative and consult the official sources to answer your questions - quick fixes do not apply.
  3. Alright mate, cheers. I thought i'd ask on here before i made the decision to actually go down and speak to someone about it.
  4. Sorry but if you do not have GCSE grade C or higher in maths they will not consider you for officer entry no matter your higher education unless it includes a high maths content.
  5. What do you want to become a rupert for?

no-one respects them until they have done a vast amount of years and have earned the respect or unless they have gone through the ranks and heve earned the respect...in which case they aren't ruperts anyway.

Join up as a lowly bod but get a trade whatever you do...
  6. For instance: Join the REME as an Air tech/Av tech/VM, whatever, as a soldier, you'll get a trade and if you've got the right abilities, could progress to officer. Job done! :)
  7. Any personal experience of this?
  8. well I was in green skin for 17 years and in all that time there were only three ruperts whom we had in various squadrons i was in that were respected by the men, and one of them was a canadian army exchange bod.

Now obviously you join the army to build a career for yourself, and if you are thick skinned then who cares what your men think of you, but an aquaintance of mine was accepted for sandhurst when he was a full screw (corporal) he passed out top and last i heard was the CO of an engineer regiment and the sort of guy you wanted to work for

I also personally know of two other soldiers whom passed out of sandhurst after serving in the ranks up to lance jack (theres undoubtedly many more though) , one was a bit weird in the head but allright as an officer the other was a total oxygen theif a total waste of rations considering that he had first hand experience of what his men have to go through
  9. oh dear god, we're back to the Officers v Other Ranks debate. Is there not a single topic that doesn't eventually boil down to this? (rhetorical - it means you don't have to reply).

We are long past the days (at least in much of the army) where being an officer was about money and horses. The 'point' of having direct entry officers is that, in most cases, it would be a waste of time them going through basic training. RMAS includes a full basic training package but condensed because it shouldn't take as long to teach some people (and I'm biting my tongue here) the same skills as others.

Yes, respect must be earned, that's a given. Many officers do themselves no favours by living a completely pointless existence within the army. Their soldiers refuse to follow them or their Pl Sgt knocks sense it to them. If they don't learn, they don't get very far.

For someone with decent educational quals, confidence and the ability to communicate clearly it would be an utter waste of time going through basic training without looking at RMAS first. What would be the point? An officer's day tends to be spent behind a keyboard looking after the G1 aspects of soldiers lives (at least in the infantry). You couldn't expect a pte, LCpl or Cpl to do the same thing. They have a totally different job. You wouldn't expect a Pl Comd to lead section attacks. By the same score, you couldn't expect Cpls to plan and implement the tactics for full platoon attacks.

So on to your argument of everyone coming up through the ranks. Simply put, we would run out of people at the top. With the current retention rates across all ranks within the armed forces, we would never really get beyond Sgt. We would be desperately short of all ranks above it with people being woefully underqualified in positions of top-level responsibility.
    This means that there HAS to be a way of getting people in to the middle level, skipping out the NCO system. We would have noone left otherwise.

But that's all 'bigger picture' stuff - When people talk of officers' head's being in the clouds, this is often where it is. NCOs deal with the here, the now and the how. Officers deal with the There, the Then and the Why.

I could be wrong though.
  10. mmmm nomadcelt you werent a rupert by any chance were you?
  11. You've been reading to much of Andy mcwaltingcock's work.
  12. The educational entry standard for officer candidates is set to change from 1 Sep 06. From this date all new candidates, ie all those submitting a PAOIF, will require 180 UCAS Tariff points at AS/A level (or equivalent), which must include 2 A levels (or equivalent) at minimum grade E.

In addition all candidates will require a minimum of 35 ALIS points at GCSE or 34 ALIS points at Scottish Standard Grades (or equivalent) where:

GCSE Grades
    A* = 8 points
    A = 7
    B = 6
    C = 5

SCE Standard Grades
    1 = 7 points
    2 = 6
    3 = 5

Candidates will still require at least GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics and either a science of foreign language
  13. No not really, what do you base that peral of wisdom on?... having spent 17 years in, I know when an officer's a total ars*hole or not, and i know when one is respected.
  14. I was a rooooo... from the wrong side of the tracks... and it certainly used to be a good life. I was happy. Go one way or the other... whether you'll enjoy it comes down to what kind of job you want to do and who you want to do it with. From Regt to regt to corps to NAAFI to mess, it's all different. Make your choice wisely.

The respect comment holds no water. It's the same for a soldier as an officer... respect has to be earned and it takes both time and the right attitude... the only difference is that as an officer you'll be in the limelight from day 1... and the odd thing is that as an officer, respect won't get you promoted, but as a soldier respect will take you half way up the NCO ladder.

Good luck... the trick is finding yourself a home.