Potential female joining infantry

Northerngal

Clanker
Hey,
I am a 16 year old girl potentially interested in joining the infantry and joining the military has always been a huge aspiration for me. I know as of yet very few women have passed training so it will be a huge challenge but I think i'm determined enough to give it a go and put my 100% in. I would love any advice and tips for preparation, and will be reading all these posts to try and get as much information as possible.

Dwarf

LE
Just read the posts that seem to apply about training, like the running sticky.
Good luck to you.

Northerngal

Clanker
Thanks, I appreciate it all and will keenly be following all these threads to get an insight into the military to hopefully help me prepare! I'm the first person in my immediate family to join (apart from my great grandfather) and so am not as knowledgable as I could be as I haven't got many 'first hand' experiences or people to contact - so hopefully this forum should be of great help

Just don’t take all of the posts too seriously or to heart. There are some rough diamonds on here :)

But we all wish you well.

Remember if you don’t quite make it in the infantry there’s always the RAF Regiment :)

chimera

LE
An obvious question is why do you want to be in the infantry (a life spent walking about carrying machine gun tripods, living in holes the the ground, and ultimately having to rip someone's throat out with a bayonet) rather than the many other parts of the Army, which can offer the opportunity to get up close and personal with danger, but in other ways, and have, to date, offered a very successul career path for females.

Northerngal

Clanker
I won't be offended and would prefer for everyone on here to tell me as it is and their true opinions, as I would hate to have a sugarcoated idea of military life that is far off the real thing.

I appreciate the well wishes,

To be honest I am also considering doing something like combat engineer or perhaps going into the medical side of things however my heart is primarily set on infantry and it is really my area of focus. I suppose if I fail repeatedly during training I would explore these as other options.

One of the major attractions for me about the infantry is of course the lifestyle. I would hate to have a 9-5 job sitting at a desk and the infantry seems like it would provide the mental and physical challenges i seek and desire. Everyday is a new task and you are doing something different. I also want to see as much combat as possible and be deployed frequently and I feel that the infantry regiments would be best in terms of this.

I wish you the very best in whatever you choose to do.

Having read your posts, your command of grammar and English is better than many on here, and certainly better than the majority of 16 year olds I know.

I wouldn't waste that, and would consider all areas within the Army.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
The best of luck, and if you truly want to make being a Tom your life go for it.
Back in the day we didn’t have Women in the infantry, but don’t let that stop you.
What I will offer in the way of advice, is what I was told When I joined up your best weapon are your ears, and if you have nothing to say, shut up (that doesn’t apply when asking questions).

One of the major attractions for me about the infantry is of course the lifestyle. I would hate to have a 9-5 job sitting at a desk and the infantry seems like it would provide the mental and physical challenges i seek and desire. Everyday is a new task and you are doing something different. I also want to see as much combat as possible and be deployed frequently and I feel that the infantry regiments would be best in terms of this.
Wait until you are sat in a Sennybridge wood block in minus 10 for a few days, you might find that 9 to 5 job will look attractive.

Good luck. Oh and be sure to have a read of the medical investigation reports on the musco-skeletal impact on females employed in front line infantry roles, carried out on the USMC. Very interesting reading

Northerngal

Clanker
Thanks for the replies. Honestly, if I am quite into academics and have always done well at school do you feel like it would really be a ‘waste’ to pursue the infantry? I’m sure a lot of intelligence and quick thinking is required for any infantryman who wishes to excel at his job but my parents would prefer for me to go to university first and gain an education before applying, however I’m uncertain if I would want to dive straight in and focus on the experience side of things. I suppose getting a degree would help as a backout if anything fails and ruins my plans, but if I succeed would it be of use as regular infantry...

to be honest i’m pretty much the opposite of the typical demographic for those joining the infantry traditionally, as an asian girl who went to a pretty good grammar school. However, I understand there might be a lot of skepticism if and when I join and I will have to sort of prove my worth to those that I work with. But i feel that let me just manage to even get through training first and then I can deal with that!

Last edited:

Northerngal

Clanker
I’ll take that advice on board Robme, in every situation, especially those that you know less about and are unfamiliar with, i feel you should look to others to see how it is done and of course then when you learn, others will look to you.

i understand what you mean stacker1, but I suppose i will never fully understand until i actually go through that training myself. I feel like if I don’t push myself to my limits I will never fully find out what my body and resolve are capable of and will always regret that. But ofcourse if in a few years I am in that wood block and wishing for a cosy 9-5 I can at least say i tried to pursue my dreams and to be honest it could turn out the other way. I could be in that office and be wishing for the adventure of being out on patrol and doing training instead... i’ll never know unless i put myself into it.
Thanks, i’ve already had a look at them but it would do no harm to go back as I haven’t seen them in a while and I might have missed something. I know several countries have included women in the infantry for a number of years including Norway, America ect... so it is always a great idea to learn from them to see the impact it has made and if anything applies that could influence or benefit me in knowing before making my decision.

Last edited:

Anonymous Yank

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you can qualify, I would recommend easing your way in via Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, getting the groundwork in on your first degree and becoming an officer.

If you are insistent on joining up at the bottom, I would try to steer you toward joining as a Combat Medical Technician, and trying to make your way to 16 Medical Regiment.

I'd also say that getting an assignment you really want might be easier, with you finding all the rough and tumble you are looking for, mixed with a bit of 9 to 5, and lots of time to rest, recuperate, and build yourself up if you manage to talk your way into the Reserves as a CMT with 144 Parachute Medical Squadron.

Truxx

LE
Oh and to the original poster you go girl.

A million years ago my squadron was the first field-force unit to have a female squadron sergeant major.

15-18 years from now I hope you are offered the same sort of opportunity.

Northerngal

Clanker
I’m considering becoming an officer however I have heard that once you reach the higher ranks as an officer you are not ‘out on the field’ as much and much of the work is paper- office based. If I did become an infantry officer for instance, would I still be doing a lot of practical work and be out with the soldiers i would command?
i will research and look into that medical regiment as I think I should explore all my options fully and there are still so many I don’t know about as of yet.. thanks for the suggestion

ah that squadron seems extremely interesting - I have just looked it up.. as an airborne squadron it would sort of have the adventure and combat that I am looking for but the medical side would enable me a back-out route if the army doesn’t go to plan

Said a loggie
I've been in Sennybridge when our jerry cans froze solid and yes I did wish that I was sat behind a desk.

Latest Threads