Potential death penalty for US servicemen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Dec 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

This is interesting:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=35726

Legal politics in warzones - if you rape and kill a 14 year old should it matter whether you are in a warzone or not? With a justice system that can pass sentences of 100+ years without parole, a death penalty seems to be a bit more of a political tool than a legal one.

"The last execution of a soldier in the U.S. military justice system occurred in April 1961, for charges of rape and murder.

As of January 2006, the Department of Defence states that executions would be conducted not via firing squad but through lethal injection. "

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

As far as I'm concerned,if you rape & kill anybody be them 14 or 40 & you are serving or not,you deserve the death penalty.
    The death penalty should be for;
    Murderers (depending on the circumstances life inside but no parole)
    Cop killers .(no exceptions)
    Rapists & Peadophiles. ( no exceptions)
    I'm sure that the majority of ARRSE'rs here agree.

3. The Military has always had a stricter sense of disipline then Civil life, it's part of the Job Spec.
    Rape is a terrible crime.
    Most/all men will have been beaten up in fights as part of growing up, normal, but leaves a nasty feeling.
    Just what it would be like for a woman to be 'beaten up'and 'Internally invaded' doesn't bear thinking about.
    For gang of men to Rape someone demands the highest penalty.
    Fair trail and string them up.
    john

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I say hang them

5. I have difficulties with the death penalty unless the evidence is 100% conclusive, having followed this case the ammount of pre-meditation and the attempts to cover up the incident by sloting the whole family can only lead to one descision. The child was specifically targeted for rape and murder and the US needs to send a message to the people of Iraq that theses actions will not be tollerated otherwise your looking at Mi Lia all over again.

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Being locked up in Fort Leavenworth stockade will ensure that convicted soldiers are not sent on Iraq, where the possibility of death seems quite high...

7. At least the death penalty reduces the reoffence rate!

8. Although I agree in principal Spike, I disagree with your comment as it is influencial and even intimidating, in itself a crime (sic.).

I'm sure all ARRSERS are grown up and mature enough when they want to be to make that decision without egging on.

9. There is no doubt that these are low life scum and should pay for what they have done, but like many others I do not support the death penalty, I used to but not now. After hearing some American juries would either not convict as they did not want to be the cause of someones death, and another juror who admitted that they just wanted to send somebody else to death row because they could. Also the death penalty does remove the option for whoops sorry we were wrong, someone lied or perhaps the expert witness was not so expert at all. Then is there not the "hang for a sheep as a lamb mentality" where if you thought the death sentence was a certainty for your crimes then maybe the criminal would decide to take some with him as he departed this life. I for one believe that they should do life and have to work whilst they are inside.
    The death penalty is usually revenge or retribution rather than justice, but that is only my opinion.

Edited due to fat fingers

10. How many US soldiers have died as a result of this sickening offense,by hanging him they will at least demonstrate that they are not tolerating such activities.

Would he have suffered any differently in a US Civil court? I doubt it,and if he was an Iraqi he would probably have been hung long ago.

At least his death will be a damn sight better than he and his cronies dealt to the girl and her family.

11. Spike, are you a cop by any chance. Why is killing a cop a no exception offense and other murders dependent on circumstances?
    Im not against death per se but one rule for all please and there will always be the possibility of an exceptional mitigating factor which must be allowed for.

12. Damn! I like peas.

I don't like paedophiles though. :study:

13. Because cops are here to catch bad guys .If the bad guys know that killing cops gets them hung may thing twice about it .

Should have handed them over to the locals and walked away.

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No,I'm not a cop although my stepbrother was one & I know a few serving & ex-serving RUC/PSNI officers.

15. Not this one. Life (meaning the rest of your life) in prison is worth the taxpayers' money. The irony here though is that Donald Rumsfeld and the list as long as your arm of loathsome Neocon above-the-law henchmen are, and will continue to walk free - when they also should be serving life in prison.

That said, they do always have the facility open to them of passing the responsibility down to the lowly ranks when things go tits up, as in Abu Ghraib.