Potential Bush Nominee for DCI in Trouble Already

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabtastic, May 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From AP:

It'll be interesting to see if Monkey Boy still has the minerals to still put his name forward, despite the fact that even right-wing nut cases like Saxby Chambliss are shaking their heads. (You guys would love Chambliss- he's another chickenhawk who got elected to the Senate in 2002 after running a campaign that called the patriotism of incumbent Max Cleland into question- Cleland was an army Captain who lost both legs and an arm in Vietnam BTW.)
    IMHO, it'll be quite telling if Bush does go for it in the style of Harriet Myers or John Bolton- it'll either show how out of whack his political radar is or it'll be part of a ploy to give Congressional Republicans some room to distance themselves from the White House ahead of the November elections- which would reveal that he knows he's a political millstone around the party's neck.
  2. The fact is , Agency gave Porter the finger. They'll do the same to any other Bush puppet. The professionals want their agency back, and they want exoneration over Iraq.

I made the point some time ago on here, that the new WMD estimates that were appearing on the CIA website over Iraq's WMD capability, were not the same as the previous ones which magically disappeared.

CIA had binned the garbage provided by Chalibi's INC , preferring to go for what intel they could get from their moles and other sources (including Russia I suspect)

It was Freith's Office of Special Plans that gave credence to the Chalibi intel, after CIA didn't.
  3. You're preaching to the choir PTP. I've been saying that for the last year.

There's also a bigger problem in Negroponte's ability to keep Rummy in his box regarding Int. The (nonpartisan) Congressional Research Service was warning Congress when they were debating the 2004 Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act, that they would be taking away a major source of power from the person who is ostensibly the head of the USIC. The DCI had an organisation like CIA to back him up in bureaucratic fights, the DNI just has his relatively small staff. Recent statements from the Chairman and ranking member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence last month made joint statements that Negroponte was losing this battle with Rummy, now Bush wants to put a General in the only major intelligence agency that isn't run by people in uniform. (The int bureaux of State, Treasury & Dept of Energy barely factor into the equation in terms of size and influence).

Whether you like Rummy or not (and try to guess where I fall on the matter) one thing you can't take away from him is that he knows how to play the Washington game. Bear in mind, this is the guy that Henry Kissinger once called "the most ruthless man I ever met". That's HENRY "Suharto and Pinochet are my bezzers" KISSINGER!
  4. Actually Goss may have been involved in a brewing scandal. Bush is extremely loyal and wouldnt get rid of Goss without something nasty forcing his hand. Goss resign's ahead of being named in the FBI probe would avoid embarassment to the CIA and to Bush.

5. Help me out please T6. You've posted a link to a text pseudo-blog about an FBI probe into Congressman Cunningham. I see no mention of Goss, the CIA, or any FBI probe into Goss or the CIA. What's the connection?
  6. That's a possibility too, but there's no getting away from the fact that Goss was as popular as a fart in a spacesuit among the professionals. IIRC, it's more to do with some members of his little cabal that he brought over from The Hill, rather than Goss's own personal integrity. He's a muppet and a hack, but I don't think he's a crook.
  7. Harper's magazine is a very respected US publication that has been in print since 1850. Hardly a source to be dismissed so lightly merk. Goss wasn't popular because his job was to clear out the leftists in the CIA. He has made alot of progress in that regard. Same sort of house cleaning at State has gone on. I suspect that if the Tories or some other party that comes to power will do the same in the UK to purge Labor party followers. Its just politics.
  8. For someone who claims to have the credentials you do, you really have no bloody idea, do you? (And I'm referring to your own government- you're nowhere near the mark regarding the nature of the British Civil Service either, but that wouldn't be at all surprising.)

The entire point of the IC is to speak truth to power, not to reflect an Administration's political agenda. They have as one of their core values, the notion that they do not "do" policy prescription. Goss went in with the express intention of politicizing the agency, because the administration knew they were going to get caught out over the whole stovepiping issue and wanted minions to blame when it all went t1ts-up. CIA is in near revolution right now because they tried to tell the Administration about Iraq etc and were ignored, but still received most of the blame. (As opposed to, say, Cheney's Office of Special Plans at the Pentagon.) And politically speaking, CIA in general has a slightly right of centre orientation- but that's not enough for the brown-shirts, is it?

Bill Casey was exactly the same way when he was working for Reagan in the 1980s. It got to one stage when his people told him to take a flying fcuk at a rolling donut because he was asking them to do stuff that was illegal. Fortunately, in those days there was a Congress that was doing its job.

Don't even get me into the Committee on the Present Danger and their work during Eisenhower and Carter periods. Team B? Utter tw@ts!

By the way, have you ever stopped to wonder why that people who are paid to THINK for a living, people who understand that the world is a complicated place, and accept that things are not black and white- tend to be labelled as leftists by your ilk?
  9. You are making assumptions about CIA that are not in evidence. The CIA has not been told to slant their intel recomendations. In fact in the case of Iran, Iran is making the case for military action better than what the administration could. By the way Tenet who was Clinton's CIA director guaranteed Bush that the intel was correct. The intel matched what our allies were also saying.
  10. You think that I didn't know about Tenet being a self-ingratiating muppet? You must think I'm as thick as you, mate. Most normal people had him pegged when Clinton blew up the factory responsible for producing 50% of Sudan's pharmaceuticals. And you can't blame Clinton for Iraq. Monkey Boy chose to keep him on.

Do us all a favour and pick up a book or a newspaper sometime- or even turn your TV away from Fox News for 5 minutes.

You can start with Paul Pillar's article in Foreign Affairs. He was NIO for Near East and South Asia from 2000-2005.

As for making assumptions about CIA, I have access to about 10hrs of DVD footage of a conference I attended where serving and recently retired senior career intelligence officers were harping on about the same points incessantly. I've offered to send you a copy before- you're still welcome to have one if you send me your details.
  11. It may well be a highly respected magazine, and the text you pointed to may well be of great relevance. However, that particular text showed not the slightest bearing on the Gros's/CIA subject. I'm clearly missing something here. Did you link to the wrong article? Or is there a link between Brent Wilke's, Mitchell Wade, Cunningham and their alleged malpractice's and Goss that Harper's, for whatever reason, has chosen not to write about.

Now I'm really confused. Has Goss gone because of:
    1. A brewing scandal.
    2. He's got the finger from the 'leftists in the CIA'.
    3. He's got the finger from the Whitehouse.
    4. He walked.
  12. From the BBC profile of Gen Michael V Hayden (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4750377.stm):
    Surely this rules him out for the CIA job. In fact, how could he have possibly progressed so far in his career with that vice?
  13. But surely Hayden is a professional intelligence officer who comes with some track record of reform. That must stand him in some stead?

(Who is still wiping food debris of the screen at the idea of Langley being a hotbed of 'leftists')
  14. I'm not sure it will. I think what bothers a lot of people on the Hill is that he's already been implicated in a lot of the shadier goings-on regarding the Administrations (mis)use of the USIC. They've long been worried about the consolidation of intelligence activity within DoD too.

I wouldn't want to put money on how it's going to turn out, but there's a very good chance that it could get messy. Arlen Specter, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee wants to have a little chat with him over the domestic surveillance issue and there are a fair few mavericks (formerly known as "moderates") on the Republican side of the Intelligence Committee.

Olympia Snow (who needs to get re-elected in fairly liberal Maine in November), Chuck Hagel from Nebraska, Mike Dewine of Ohio has what promises to be a tough election campaign in Ohio ahead of him, all serve on the SSCI. We already know that even right wing nutter, Saxby Chambliss, is against the idea. It's conceivable that there could be a floor vote on his confirmation without the Committee's endorsement, but to do so would probably send a signal to the Senate Republicans that it's a free vote. All it takes is one of the above members to cross over and you'll have such a situation. Alternatively they can abstain from a committee vote and pass the decision straight to the Senate floor- but that didn't work for UN Ambassador John Bolton (who ended up being a recess appointment- his appointment will have to be voted on in January.

If Hayden is to pull this off it wouldn't hurt his chances to go on a major charm offensive over the next few weeks. The trouble is, as an Int Offr, charm isn't one of his strengths. (Apologies to my friends of that persuasion.) He's a tecchie at heart.