Potatoes - New ideas needed

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Legs, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

or cubed and roasted with onion, garlic, catering bacon or spiced beef mince topped with cheese.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. How about having a bash at some homemade crisps?
  3. Pommes de Terre Dauphinoise
    Pommes de Terre Sautées au Romarin
    Pommes Paillasson
    Purée de Pommes de Terre à l'ail

PM me for recipes
  4. H3

H3 LE

Why use Spuds .... Try sweet potato for a change !!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

or cassava
  6. Thin-skinned ones boiled in their skins, then put on kebab skewers (cut into halves or quarters or left whole, depending on size), brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt and browned on the barbecue.

I say a little​ salt as I overdid it the first time -- the process seems to make the salt saltier.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have two can't fail spud recipes.

1. Cheesy Mustard Mash.

Boil spuds, drain, add milk butter, lots if mature cheddar, dollop of wholegrain mustard.

Get mashing.

2. Chorizo roasties.

Slice spuds into 1" cubes. Roast in olive oil and butter. Halfway through cooking add diced chorizo. Put back in oven and mix them up occasionally so the spuds get a good coating in chorizo juice.

Once finished I usually chuck a bit of rocket and halved cherry tomatoes in the mix to make it look poncey, if I'm really trying to impress, I'll dress it with a splash of balsamic vinegar too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  9. Colcannon? My mother used to slice potatoes maybe about 1/2cm, make a thick batter and deep fry them, meal in itself. I do this when the oil in the chip pan needs replacing anyway as it gets full of bits of batter.
  10. Cut em up into chunks roast and top with drained chopped tomatoes and strong cheddar. Lovely. That or mash as usual and stir in some garlic or even better a teaspoon of English mustard.

Seem to recall there was some bloke from the American potato board (or some such) who lived for some ridiculous time only eating spuds. Might be worth checking out some of his recipes if youre good with google.

edit- in fact scrap that last bit his recipes consist of putting different things in mash apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11864290
  11. Get yourself a Tefal Actifry........Recipe book with it gives a load of ways to cook the humble tatty.......healthy way to cook ..does awsome chip with only a tablespoon of oil.......only downside to it .....made in france
  12. don't be ridiculous, those things cost a fortune.
  13. £125.......cheep as chips......