Potato supreme. Russian army food almost to British standards

Video unavailable?

Try this. Basically it’s some sort of mash potato type thing that he turns the plate upside down, sticks a fork in it etc. It’s the Russian version of ‘pay as you swine’:

As good a time as any to throw in one of my favourite Cold War chestnuts.

A septic general and an Ivan are trying to outdo each other at an international get-together.

Septic (S) The American soldier is the best-trained soldier in the world, he gets 2 years basic training.
Russki (R)Pah! That is nothing. The Soviet soldier gets 3 years!
s. Huh. Well, the American soldier is the best equipped soldier in the world. He goes into battle with 3000 dollars' worth of equipment on his back.
R. Only 3000 ? Huh! The Soviet soldier has 5000 dollars' worth.
S. Alright then, the US soldier is the best- fed soldier in the world. Every day he eats 4000 Kcals.
R. You are lying!!!!! Nobody can eat so many potatoes !!!!!

available and unavailable for me

(Just double click on the video title and it’ll open In YouTube)

No problems here.
The Russian Army obviously feeds its soldiers on some kind of super glue.
PS. I bet he stopped smiling once he got his posting to Siberia.

Last edited:
As good a time as any to throw in one of my favourite Cold War chestnuts.

A septic general and an Ivan are trying to outdo each other at an international get-together.

Septic (S) The American soldier is the best-trained soldier in the world, he gets 2 years basic training.
Russki (R)Pah! That is nothing. The Soviet soldier gets 3 years!
s. Huh. Well, the American soldier is the best equipped soldier in the world. He goes into battle with 3000 dollars' worth of equipment on his back.
R. Only 3000 ? Huh! The Soviet soldier has 5000 dollars' worth.
S. Alright then, the US soldier is the best- fed soldier in the world. Every day he eats 4000 Kcals.
R. You are lying!!!!! Nobody can eat so many potatoes !!!!!
A former neighbour of my sister in law told me of his experiences on the Ost-Front as a machine gunner.
Initially they (the Wehrmacht) couldn't understand the suicidal attacks by the Russians. He and his mates were pouring lead into the air as fast as they could. All was revealed when they found out that the Russian rations consisted of dried fish, boiled potatoes and a bottle of vodka. The Russian soldiers were told that those rations were for 24 hours and that the Germans have enough food........

Catering is probably charged to the Government at cordon bleu prices by one of Putin's mates.