Postings

PK

Old-Salt
#1
Being one of the rare members of the 'Glorious Corps' who actually enjoys the job he's doing I was wondering if any one could help me with finding out some squadron numbers...

I'm looking for IT based units. I've heard that there are a few in and around the London area which are IT troubleshooting type units. The other unit was the sigs unit with Land Command.

Appreciate any help any one can give me with this,

PK
 
#2
PK said:
Being one of the rare members of the 'Glorious Corps' who actually enjoys the job he's doing I was wondering if any one could help me with finding out some squadron numbers...

I'm looking for IT based units. I've heard that there are a few in and around the London area which are IT troubleshooting type units. The other unit was the sigs unit with Land Command.
I'm confused. If you are an IS Op/Eng then your chain of command will be able to advise you on posting preferences. If you aren't IS - why do you want to go to these units? What do you think that you will be doing there?

A large amount of the type of work you refer to is now contracted out or filled by civilians/DCSA (depending on your rank, there are some more senior jobs to be had).

You could try looking through this list
http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/uk.htm#UK

but your best bet is to ask people in your unit.
 
#4
PK the Brigades in Province use IS Engr`s to troubleshoot their IT although CASH is commercialised there is still plenty of hands on with stand alones and localised LAN projects.

Things will change though with the advent of DII
 

PK

Old-Salt
#5
doomsayer said:
I'm confused.
Right I'll try again. I'm a Class 2 SET looking for an IT orientated posting. As far as I'm aware there are still a number of these posts available to SET's. I think I'm right in thinking that these are independent sqn's.

Also if anyone knows the which sig sqn which is attatched to HQ Land Command the I'd appreciate that also.

PK
 
#6
PK said:
Right I'll try again. I'm a Class 2 SET looking for an IT orientated posting. As far as I'm aware there are still a number of these posts available to SET's. I think I'm right in thinking that these are independent sqn's.

Also if anyone knows the which sig sqn which is attatched to HQ Land Command the I'd appreciate that also.

PK
Not sure about your first point - ask your FofS?

I think that the sqn you are thinking of is 243 Sig Sqn - not sure if there are any/many suitable jobs there for you?

Best of luck.
 

PK

Old-Salt
#7
Thanks for that doomsayer. I was just trying to get the ball rolling as my FofS is in some far flung corner of the earth right now. I'll have an ask around when I next turn up at work... 8)

PK
 
#8
PK said:
doomsayer said:
I'm confused.
Right I'll try again. I'm a Class 2 SET looking for an IT orientated posting. As far as I'm aware there are still a number of these posts available to SET's. I think I'm right in thinking that these are independent sqn's.

Also if anyone knows the which sig sqn which is attatched to HQ Land Command the I'd appreciate that also.

PK
You want to do IS, then re trade, stob bogging down the over manned tech trade. IS op is screaming for people and it aint a major step down the hill. If you went to a unit expressing these wishes they would dump you in the relevent department anyway.

If not, grab your soldering iron and become a Funking technician.
 
#10
Sadly, you wont find much on 10 Sig Regt on the Website, although Bow_Man (as always) is right that you should look into the Regt.

238 Sig Sqn - London based - Ceremonial comms and CIS support to London District - Most IS work is done by civvies, though.

243 Sig Sqn - Wilton based - CIS support to HQ LAND in the main. A fair amount done by soldiers at the moment, but very likely to change over the next couple of years as the future of the HQ is confirmed.

The rest of 10 Sig Regt's fixed sqns are predominantly civilian based and getting more so.

I would suggest that you take a good look at 30 Sig Regt or 2 Sig Regt in the UK - with Cormorant and their HQ type roles there will be considerable opportunity to get more hands on with the IS side of life.

In Germany I would look at 16 Sig Regt and the ARRC HQ role - again very heavy into IS.

Hope this helps

Rgds
 

PK

Old-Salt
#11
Thanks for that Hobgoblin and Bow_Man

thebull140 said:
grab your soldering iron and become a Funking technician.
Unlike some members of this corps who are quite happy to plod along in a Ptarmigan unit for whole lives moaning about how arrse it is I've got up off mine to try and do something about this by attempting to get a slightly different posting from the norm. And as the whole corps is soon going to be dominated by one super op/tech/liney/storman trade :wink: there isn't much point in re-trading :roll: Anyway I enjoy what my job entails which is;

Army Careers said:
Making sure the Army's communications systems are in place and working properly is up to the Systems Engineer Technician. They all specialise in radio or digital systems equipment during their training, but the massive growth in different forms of digital communication means that they're likely to be busy. As well as installing and maintaining various different radio networks, they also have to look after video, satellite and IT systems, and, in the future, the new sophisticated battlefield communication systems that are being developed.
http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/it_comms/jd_systems_engineer_technician.html

All that said and done you can't beat re-terming a remote start/stop cable in the pouring rain in the middle of Scotland :lol:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Jobs (Discussion) 31
F REME 36
Sam_Fisher Aviation 31

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads