Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Postings in the USA

Do you have any links for that. I first heard about that from a post by the imfamous John G but I have never been able to find anything about it on google.

Pre-war there were apparently a lot of Sikhs in the Hong Kong Police Force and they too went over to the Japanese during the occupation. After the war they were dismissed by the British and no more were recruited as the Chinese Constables refused to work with them. There were locally recruited Sikhs in the RAF Police at RAF Seletar in the sixties. Very smart they looked too on the front gate as they checked passes. All over six foot, beards, turban, starched KD with white blancoed belt and anklets.
see your PMs.

I do quite a bit of work in the Arlington/Crystal City area on t'other side of the Potomac and it can be odd at times seeing Flt Lts & Wing Cos getting a sandwich. Quite a few of them actually - never see matelots or pongoes though and never seen any ncos.

Pentagon always a possibility but the OP may need to get a bit of time under his belt and the odd pip and crown on his shoulder

AAC officer pilots of rank more so Captains and Majors exchange primarily AH-64D instructors at Fort Rucker [spoke to wife of one such Maj at Heli Expo last year as she was helping out with one of the us army heritage charities).

There is also exchange posting for aviation medicine doc (who is also qualified AAc pilot and likewise US Army flight surgeon is qualified aviator) to the aeromedical lab also at Fort Rucker.

As its reciprocal ...a lot of the research over the last 2 decades of exchange in this particular field carried out is for the W/AH-64 communities each side of the pond re ocular health with regard to the IHADSS.

In the early days of us buying the WAH-64D, exchanges with the likes of then 21st Cav, and front line units at Fort Hood, Fort Campbell.

Going back historically, the First exchanges between Middle Wallop and Mother Rucker started in 70s if not earlier in 60s. One notable Major who worked his way up the ranks (started his flying Training at risk age 28 having been in since 16) ended up as 3rd Exchange instructor at Rucker in late 70s early 80s. He ended up as one of the first Brits to fly the then new Sikorsky UH-60A albeit for a few hours.

Otherwise if of AAC Major or Lt col rank, could end up in joint staff post either at Pentagon, CENTCOM at MacDill. Or other locations across USA. Or end up flying the flag re military attaché in embassy in DC.

Or on tech side get assigned to likes of Fort Eustis , Huntsville, or Army Flight Test at Mother Rucker.

Either way, main types exchange officer fly And instruct over there be Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota, Sikorsky UH-60L/M Blackhawk , Boeing AH-64D/E Apache/Guardian.

cheers

I do quite a bit of work in the Arlington/Crystal City area on t'other side of the Potomac and it can be odd at times seeing Flt Lts & Wing Cos getting a sandwich. Quite a few of them actually - never see matelots or pongoes though and never seen any ncos.

Probably because we have outsourced most of our air platforms to the yanks. P8, E7, Protector etc. Quite a few directorships at Boeing coming up I’d wager.

My wife worked with one of the former OC's of Top Gun at JP Morgan and he once told of a couple of Brit pilots attending some training many years ago.

Other than that I know of two postings for SF personnel, one long term exchange, the other as DS. In a similar vein my mates lad attended 3 months of skills training with his Sqn over here.........sounded more like a fcuking paid sunshine holiday with what they were doing. And, there are the dedicated skydiving holidays military freefall training weeks at various locations.

From the boxhead side of the family I know that the Luftwaffe has a permanent training presence at Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas - they send their fast jet drivers there for training. One of my good mates did a Tankie Officers Course with the USMC at Fort Knox, which is apparently a regular exchange thing. A couple of my other mates who are on the instructional side with the Bundeswehr come over once or twice a year on short courses for their own continuing professional development.

My wife worked with one of the former OC's of Top Gun at JP Morgan and he once told of a couple of Brit pilots attending some training many years ago.

Other than that I know of two postings for SF personnel, one long term exchange, the other as DS. In a similar vein my mates lad attended 3 months of skills training with his Sqn over here.........sounded more like a fcuking paid sunshine holiday with what they were doing. And, there are the dedicated skydiving holidays military freefall training weeks at various locations.

From the boxhead side of the family I know that the Luftwaffe has a permanent training presence at Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas - they send their fast jet drivers there for training. One of my good mates did a Tankie Officers Course with the USMC at Fort Knox, which is apparently a regular exchange thing. A couple of my other mates who are on the instructional side with the Bundeswehr come over once or twice a year on short courses for their own continuing professional development.

The Luftwaffe paid for several T-38 Talon so in effect its theirs ..also 80th FTW at Sheppard is home to Euro Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training

They used to have F-4E and Tonka permanent presence at Holloman but with slow withdrawal of the Tonka, and Tonka Training is not happening ..however the German presence has not left entirely just slowly reducing in size till it goes completely.

Or in previous decades F-104 Training at Luke AFB and F-4 Training at the old George AFB (Now Victorville Airport) pre 90s.

Also the German AD center at Fort Bliss is still there but winding down till 2022.

cheers

Latest Threads