Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Postings in the USA

Hi All,
I am due to finish my phase one at harrogate in 3 weeks, I am currently going to the army air corps, but my goal if possible is to have a posting in the states. I've asked around and looked online but can't find many details. I was wondering is anyone knew of any postings long or short term out there, or what job role would most likely to go out ?
Many Thanks for reading my post!
George

Issi

War Hero
I would have thought, apart from the odd pilot/officer exchange tour, there wouldn't be any postings in the states.
It's possible that I am completely out of date, but we don't have AAC units (or any other units for that matter),in the states.

Bob65

War Hero
I am currently going to the army air corps, but my goal if possible is to have a posting in the states

The RM seem to pop over there for exercises quite a bit, or they used to, when they needed some desert to train in. Around the same timeframe the RAF had people semi-permanently in Nevada to operate drones. SF I heard do HALO jumps there. HTH.

May we ask why this is your main goal in life?

Last edited:
I am from the US, not familiar with UK military to any degree.
Having a condo on Florida's gulf coast I have shopped at the Commissary and Exchange on McDill AFB in Tampa and have seen British personnel there as they are assigned to CENTCOM.
No idea of what branches but once on a stinking hot day I had a flat in the commissary parking lot. I called AAA for a tow truck to change it but got a call that the tow truck was held at the gate until I showed up with ID. Given that I walk with a cane and the gate was nearly two miles away I was despairing until I saw a couple of Royal Signals soldiers putting groceries in their car. I hailed them and, bless them, they drove me to the gate before the tow truck left.
I still think kind thought about Royal Signals.

As to the original question, there are a number of bases with UK presence. When my wife was at CINCLANT in Norfolk VA there were a number of NATO officers there. I seem to recall that the deputy CINCLANT was a RN Vice Admiral.

Good luck!

I am currently going to the army air corps, but my goal if possible is to have a posting in the states. I've asked around and looked online but can't find many details. I was wondering is anyone knew of any postings long or short term out there, or what job role would most likely to go out ?

Yeah, join the RAF.

I think you will have to be quite senior to get an exchange or staff posting to the USA. A WO2/WO1 or Major/Lt Col and above, other than short term exercises. Probably have to wait 20 years.

Hi All,
I am due to finish my phase one at harrogate in 3 weeks, I am currently going to the army air corps, but my goal if possible is to have a posting in the states. I've asked around and looked online but can't find many details. I was wondering is anyone knew of any postings long or short term out there, or what job role would most likely to go out ?
Many Thanks for reading my post!
George
A friend of mine got a 2 or 3 year exchange posting there as a Captain Pilot (Nashville, Tennessee), but I don't think there were any JNCO over there with him.

Issi

War Hero
A query for the OP. Where did you get the idea that you might be able to get a posting to the USA?

Did someone tell you it was a possibility, or did you just assume that the British Army would have bases in America?
I hope it's not the latter.

A query for the OP. Where did you get the idea that you might be able to get a posting to the USA?

Did someone tell you it was a possibility, or did you just assume that the British Army would have bases in America?
I hope it's not the latter.

We do have, I am told, Royal signals personal in Washington, in the embassy, and a small contingent in the pentagon, also on the USS Winston S Churchill there is a token couple of Royal navy types.

One. One Scaley SNCO in Washington, all the others are on deployment. Look at minimum of Capt for the other stuff, Signals wise

cymraeg

War Hero
Didn't 30 sigs have a det in tampa?

Sexton Blake

War Hero
I think you will have to be quite senior to get an exchange or staff posting to the USA. A WO2/WO1 or Major/Lt Col and above, other than short term exercises. Probably have to wait 20 years.
Dear Flyer 2020.

What he says above.

I wish you all the best in your career in the Army and hopefully you should get the opportunity to Ex in the USA but until you climb the ranks there is very little chance of getting a posting there. Although some other Army trades do have more chances, RLC movements rings a bell.

I worked out that I spent over 12 months in the USA on various detachments and Exercises during my time in the mob and even met my first wife out there!

Ask yourself what is your priority? Military career in the British army with the possibility of a US posting (after 10 years ish) or a radical change to the US military perhaps.

If you are single mate, the world is your oyster (or crab stick).

We do have, I am told, Royal signals personal in Washington, in the embassy, and a small contingent in the pentagon, also on the USS Winston S Churchill there is a token couple of Royal navy types.

Last I knew , there used to be a R.Sigs SSgt posting in the Embassy In Washington but this was about 20 years ago . Crypto and such.

Last I knew , there used to be a R.Sigs SSgt posting in the Embassy In Washington but this was about 20 years ago . Crypto and such.

No reason to suspect that posting has finished, with world tensions now greater than they have ever been, I suspect that posting is still in operation. Memory Jog:- When I was at 10 sigs, I heard through the grape vine that one lad who I was in basic with, a specop, got a posting to Washington, and another to Singapore. 1973.

Last edited:
No reason to suspect that posting has finished, with world tensions now greater than they have ever been, I suspect that posting is still in operation. Memory Jog:- When I was at 10 sigs, I heard through the grape vine that one lad who I was in basic with, a specop, got a posting to Washington, and another to Singapore.
Definitely no Scallies in Singers, only an RE CoW, moaning about lack of promotion opportunities. Not heard of one in Washington and I've done some business with BEW.

British Embassies don't usually have RSigs pers as permanent staff there unless there is a 'substantial' military presence alongside the Defence Section. The Defence Section otherwise uses FCO systems.

Latest Threads