Posting preferences whats the point?

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Scarerdarer669, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just after a bit of advice. Husband asked to put posting pref in. Post cyprus, canada the usual. Got told to be realistic. So boss rang manning records to see where postings were available. Ideally we wanted up north as thats where we come from. Anywho basically got told there is a job in catterick but we cant have it due to career mapping therefore we have to go to abingdon! Now what i want to know is what is the point of posting pref as they know where they are going to send you anyway. As last posting was choice of hereford, colchester or plymouth again manning records not our choice. know one has ever seemed to be that interested in my husbands career before so whats the sudden interest now in career mapping?. Last question if i wanted to stay in ssfa in hereford can i stay here or do i have to go to abingdon. Really dont want to go as it sounds like a shit hole. Any advice would be great cheers rant over!
  2. Why don't you post this under current affairs or in the Australia forum? They would be just as "spunds" like you are mince!
  3. Posting preferences are worth filling in, sadly, they do not guarantee you getting any of your preferences - however without one you have less chance.
    Regarding your SFA I believe you can request to stay in your current quarter - however this is only likely to be granted if there are surplus quarters in your area, if there are not then you would be delaying another family moving to the location their mum/dad/spouse is posted to. Ask your hubby to approach the welfare office, they should be able to advise on how to make such a request. Be aware that your understanding of surplus quarters need not match Defence Housings - their say will be final and you have no intrinsic rights to stay. I would not pin your hopes on it but best of luck.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I always thought "dream sheets" were solely for the amusement of Manning and Records - eg to see how far away they could get you from your wish, (or if really bored, how close they could get you to your current posting).
    But I did get one that worked, so always worth a punt.
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

"Being realistic" means looking at the demographics. Out of all the Mainland UK based personnel, roughly 1/3 are up T' North, and 2/3 daan Saarf right? So the chances are he would be posted somewhere nice in England. So when he puts his SCR / PPP in, by all means look at what's about and if, say, you know of a slot in Cyprus that's due changeover, then put it in. But your second and third choices should be based on the demos.

For example, you could say the following:

1. Loan Service - Brunei
    2. First Line Wksp - Tidworth
    3. Any first line Unit in the South of England

If you go putting "Sunshine tour Cyprus, Sunshine tour Brunei, Sunshine tour Belize", you're likely to get laughed at and sent somewhere horrible.

Also - in the narrative part you get to explain a little more about why you've chosen the area (North in your case, South in my example) - it may be that you own house in local area. It could be that it's the penultimate tour of duty and you're both looking to settle in that area.

Make no mistake - APC Glasgow is all about the officers. After the officers' careers and redundancies has been allocated staff to work on, what's left over will sift through the soldier's dream sheets, careers and courses. So by giving them something a little more "realistic" to work with is likely to result in a higher success into getting a little bit of your own way from time to time.
  6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

VG - If I worked at Glasgow, I'd simply have to post you to a Welfare assignment next.

If only for the comedy value.
  7. Preference draft options exist solely as a means of demonstrating some form of democracy. If 100 people slap in for what could be considered shithole postings and are then granted it then the MOD are to be considered very benevolent in granting them, In reality, they merely provide a record of failed requests.

I always wanted a draft to that little radar station on a small island in the Pacific that doesn't have a name - just a Lat & Long. Eating pineapples and wearing flowery scarves didn't actually play a significant part in my career, as you can well imagine.
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

When in Malta, I put in for Cyprus, I don't know who was most surprised when I got it me or the missus, a sod I know but someone had to do it.
    Oh & I volunteered for Malta. :)
  9. Thanks for that you twat, helpful by know means. Obviously you have too much time on your hands to let a fat bitch who sits on her arse all day get you all wound up there. Look forward to the day i see u on jeremy kyle putting the world to rights. For your information i don't give a rats arse about the army you ******* tosser I'm thinking about my own career and family unlike your own wife know doubt who you seem to judge everybody else's on. Ps I wouldn't call abingdon the caribbean you thick twat. If you read the paragraph properly cyprus etc was put in as a u got to be in to win it attitude knowing full well we wouldn't get it. I just wanted to know my options.
  10. V_G in charge of manning would be fecking hilarious. Could imagine his 'carefully worded' replies to requests.
  11. Have you got a nice set of norks ?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If Carlsberg did counselling...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. M&RO have no clue about what postings are due up. I asked for a posting up north after i came off the board. I was told there were no postings up north. i then recieved a call from the BOWO in York who was a friend, hey presto up comes a posting up north. it's not what you know it's who you know and if your face fits I'm afraid. I wish this had happened all my career, but alas it was a one off.

If you don't ask you don't get. Best of luck nothing wrong with having dreams.
  14. My first posting, I asked for 24 Field Amb (near home), 3 Armd Field Amb (mates already in area up there) or 2 Armd Field Amb.
    All equally shite places to be, so they sent me to ******* Bulford! It's not like I was asking for dream postings, so why did they go and do that to me? The arses.

Mind you, they sent me to Düsseldorf later - ******* result!
  15. When the WRAC got disbanded and amalgamated into their relevent corps, they got all the nice cushy postings... no nasty field units for them. Just that I hated it when, about 4 years later, one of them was bitching that she was being posted to Hong Kong...again.