Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posting likliness?

Hi all,

First time poster looking for some friendly advice;

I am currently approaching the end of my 3 year nursing degree to be a QA and have recently submitted a PPP for my first posting.

After having previoulys done an 8 year stint working for the RMP, the free degree was enough to sway me towards change and I have been living/studying in Birmingham for the last 3 years and will (hopefully) be able to be posted out to an MDHU.

I'm currently approaching 30, and whilst I have loved the army accommodation throughout my 20's, I'm at a point now where I want my own space and new to get onto the property ladder and I'm toying with the concept of potentially buying property wherever I am posted.

Now, I know, realistically, I won't know where I'll be until they tell me, so I want some guidance on what postings are like for QA's and how likely I am to get my priority choices based on the experience of others who have either been QA's, known QA's or just know generally how PPP likeliness tends to sway.

My top 3 choices in order were;

1. Northallerton
2. Gosport
3. Birmingham

I have chosen Northallerton as number 1 specifically for a couple of reasons, mainly because house prices are way more affordable for me up north and because I don't imagine it would be a popular first choice. For what it's worth, I am actually originally from the Midlands, but don't particulary want to stay around here.

So the ultimate question is; Would I be foolish to start booking annual leave and using my weekends for house viewings up north in preparation of being able to move into something as quickly as I can without having to spend too much time in accommodation? Or could PPP still dictate that I don't end up at my first choice, and thus, I'm probably better off holding off?

Thanks for any input.

So the ultimate question is; Would I be foolish to start booking annual leave and using my weekends for house viewings up north in preparation of being able to move into something as quickly as I can without having to spend too much time in accommodation? Or could PPP still dictate that I don't end up at my first choice, and thus, I'm probably better off holding off?

1. Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

a. The internet is a great recce tool, especially for property.
b. You can recce all 3 locations from the comfort of your favourite chair.
c. Once you know where you are headed, you can carry out CTR's.

2. Always expect the unexpected. You might not get any of the locations that you specified.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would second that, most estate agents have copious information on line on available properties in their area.

You may even be lucky and they may even share details. (we have such a site for our area (Where all available properties are visible although all from different agents)

Exactly what they said. You've probably already have considered or done all this, but offer this as a current seller (with a frustrated first time buyer in the family).

Internet shopping is the best way to check if a property will do what you need at the best of times - you can see floor plans, pictures, video tours are now a thing, street views - and most usefully satellite views of the area. All this means you can save visiting time for properties that will actually work for you, rather than turning up to find that the place is next to a busy railway cutting, but the careful photos didn't show it.

HOWEVER: at present estate agents are now only accepting viewing from people who are able to proceed - ie have an offer or are already on the market or no property to sell and finance fixed up. Finance being the bugaboo, as one of our kids has found out, looking at a first purchase (complicated by the fact that it was a shared ownership property and they're a sole purchaser).

Start looking at the property sites on a regular basis as early as possible - plus it's quite relaxing to critique other people's DIY with a cup of coffee, after a heavy day, .

ALWAYS look at the floorplan and the satellite image and streetmap view: it will also save wasted time on visits where clever marketing shots have omitted things, or frankly, missed things that might be of specific interest to you. It will also help you get a feel for the areas you are considering, which are the good, which are the cheaper areas on the rise, which to avoid, who can't wait for a sale at first asking price and drop their price. That's how we could afford our current home.

In fact you can only view now in PPE, and having done this research. No carpet tourists whatsoever, and one agency I had in to quote even said they were going over to a 'boutique' approach where people had to look at all this, and weren't allowed to view the property until they had signed up a definite interest and we have the money document.

You will also get a feel for what photos highlight and and what they hide: there is a current vogue to lighten pictures to make a place look brighter and 'current'. Lights are often on in photos becuase it may have been a dull day, and it helps the camera get good light - that's normal (they can add a blue sky in later). But if the picture looks bleached out, they are hiding the fact that a place is dark. The odd 'aspirational object' shot is also fine - but I am always leary of too many angled cameo shots of someone's vase on a table, posh coat on a stairpost - and Kath Kidson wellies by the kitchen backdoor in a terrace.

Rightmove are well considered by agents, easy to use and I found the best resource (no pooled local website near us at the time, but Righmove has properties from agents across the country). Zoopla post random info which is not always correct. The house I am selling was built on a virgin field 20 years ago, yet zoopla claim it is a 2 bed conversion of a barn / farm building. Not even a field shelter was on it. It baits people to correct it and save them trouble and I am not giving the lazy free info, although they may be more correct in urban areas, which are easier.

Good luck with everything and enjoy the hunt: dont forget to nail down what IS included with the property and DON'T 'save' money by using a cheap rates, bulk-handling conveyancy shed - you don't need to be shuttled around the building by whoever picks up the phone and has to skim read your file on the fly at such a stressful time. Using a solicitor you can deal with consistently each time you call is well worth the money - even if nothing goes wrong.

Money on a FULL survey is never wasted money.

Good luck and I hope find a bargain.

Last edited:

Buddy!

War Hero
Hi all,

First time poster looking for some friendly advice;

I am currently approaching the end of my 3 year nursing degree to be a QA and have recently submitted a PPP for my first posting.

After having previoulys done an 8 year stint working for the RMP, the free degree was enough to sway me towards change and I have been living/studying in Birmingham for the last 3 years and will (hopefully) be able to be posted out to an MDHU.

I'm currently approaching 30, and whilst I have loved the army accommodation throughout my 20's, I'm at a point now where I want my own space and new to get onto the property ladder and I'm toying with the concept of potentially buying property wherever I am posted.

Now, I know, realistically, I won't know where I'll be until they tell me, so I want some guidance on what postings are like for QA's and how likely I am to get my priority choices based on the experience of others who have either been QA's, known QA's or just know generally how PPP likeliness tends to sway.

My top 3 choices in order were;

1. Northallerton
2. Gosport
3. Birmingham

I have chosen Northallerton as number 1 specifically for a couple of reasons, mainly because house prices are way more affordable for me up north and because I don't imagine it would be a popular first choice. For what it's worth, I am actually originally from the Midlands, but don't particulary want to stay around here.

Thanks for any input.

As someone who's been around the Army block a bit, surely you have or would be(en) able to get a more realistic insight into the assignment prospects from the CoC / other contacts in QARANC compared to asking on a public facing forum featuring minimal serving personnel?

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses so far.

TBH, my CoC weren't that helpful. Just seemed to be the usual coy responses. "You can submit preferences but there are no guarantees" etc etc.

For what it's worth, I almost bought a house around the beginning of May time but the sale fell through. I wanted to be able to state my reasons honestly in the PPP for wanting Northallerton as my first choice because I owned a property up there, which would have significantly improved my chances of getting my first choice.

I have had to submit the PPP without reasons, but I was mostly keen to understand, from any experience others can lend, do Nurses tend to get their first choice? From what I have gathered via my own intel, Northallerton isn't very desirable and alot of Nurses want to go to Birmingham.

Any further clarity on posting likliness is appreciated.

Latest Threads